Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Car Lift and Garage

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks great! Post some deck pictures too when you get to that. My wife wants a deck soon, need some inspiration.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:10 pm
I've got a hefty boom box sitting on a 5 gal. bucket right now that will find a permanent location once I move in. Not sure the neighbors would share any enthusiasm for a 300W system, Joe. :lol: :roll:
Nah, I was pitching that to John :lol:

Deck out the back door in the treetops?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Not in the treetops. The back door does go out onto a covered concrete patio, though, where the grill will live, then on to the lower level of a two level deck. Hope to get started on that in early October. :D

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looks very similar to the decking on the back of my son's house in Georgia. Pretty steep slope in the back.
Only difference, he doesn't have access from the garage to it. One half is open, the other enclosed with screening under roof.

If I lived nearby, I would help you frame it up. I enjoy that kind of work, as long as it doesn't involve ladders :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Been doing a lot of other "stuff", and doing some research on epoxy floor coatings, so as long as I'm not getting anything productive done on the garage I thought I'd waste another couple of hours making it mine. Drug out my dad's tag collection and hung them up, along with an Edlebrock banner I had squirreled away. The tag collection is pretty neat. There's a 1916 NY tag and a 1921 (my dad's birth year) Ohio tag. The rest are all GA tags beginning with 1926 and every year through 1990. Two of the more interesting ones are the 1943 and 1944 tags, which are the two narrowest ones. That was the height of WWII, and just about all the steel that could be scrounged through metal drives was going into the war effort. The 1943 tag was just a metal strip about 1" wide stamped with "GA 43" that was placed on top of the 1942 tag to cover the 1942 date. The 1944 tag was a stand-alone tag, but only about 3" wide. The standard size tag returned in 1945. The fun in collecting tags in GA began to wain in 1972, though, when GA started using the same metal tag for multiple years and issued a decal to affix in one corner for successive years. That's when the metal tags would remain the same for 5 to 8 years before issuing a new design. He still collected each year separately with the successive year's decal. My dad kept all these tags in a filing cabinet drawer for as long as can remember. I figured what's the sense in that, so I put them on display. Now.....I need to get that epoxy floor installed so I can move in.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That's a bigger job hanging all those than it looks. takes time & patience to get em all that straight! especially that high off the ground. good job ! starting to look like a hotrod shop. some really cool plates too! oldies goldies.
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Nice collection of tags Jim, some great history. My dad (rest his soul Lord) collected tags as well, I’ve probably 50 to 100, some on the shop wall, and most in boxes. Your garage is looking real good.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:42 am
That's a bigger job hanging all those than it looks. takes time & patience to get em all that straight! especially that high off the ground. good job ! starting to look like a hotrod shop. some really cool plates too! oldies goldies.
Thanks. It only took about an hour to get them laid out on the floor the way I wanted them on the wall. Then I located where I wanted the top left tag to go, hung it, then shot a laser level line across the top edge of it and hung the rest of the row along the laser line, using a spacer block to space between the tags, then moved to the next row. I have gotten more than my money's worth out of that laser; shooting grades, plumbing studs, hanging sheetrock, setting cabinets, etc. It only took a couple of hours. I probably spent more time moving the 8-foot step ladder than I did hanging the tags because I could only reach far enough to hang three tags with each move. :roll:
Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:12 am
Nice collection of tags Jim, some great history. My dad (rest his soul Lord) collected tags as well, I’ve probably 50 to 100, some on the shop wall, and most in boxes. Your garage is looking real good.
Thanks. I've still got a couple of boxes of tags left over because he had duplicates, and there were several periods during those years when GA had front and rear tags, so I only hung the rear one.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I hear you on the Lasers, I used 2 of them setting my toe in, behind the car on cinder blocks, like guys using the strings. Took a while to get them set right but as long as I stayed away from the back of the car was no way to knock them out of alignment. :lol:
You might as well hang the rest of the tags, on another wall.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Still too cold, or too rainy, or both to epoxy coat my floor, so I continue to "feather the nest", as my wife calls it, with stuff I won't have to haul back out when the weather permits me to coat the floor. Today I mounted a traffic signal that I've had stored in my basement for 20 to 25 years, wondering what to do with it. My wife gave me a programable controller for it for my birthday. I can program it to cycle through any of 37 different signal patterns, and control the lights to stay on from 0 to 255 seconds as it goes through the pattern. Right now, I have it set to cycle through a standard green-yellow-red pattern with a dwell of 5 seconds on each light. Totally useless, but entertaining. :roll:

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I think the yellow should flash about 4 times,,, then go green!
Oh move the lenses around so red is at the bottom. Lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I like it! Maybe you could add a motion sensor to it! Cool little mercury sign too ,I got one like it or a little bigger ,just haven't hung it in the shop yet.
Johno