Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lou's Comet

Re: Car Lift and Garage

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Jim. It will be done before you know it. Is that Ac for the garage?

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:46 am
Is that Ac for the garage?

Lou
if it is I'm jealous . :evil: I thought mine was overkill but Jim you beat all! :x :x
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:46 am
Is that Ac for the garage?
No. The one you can see in the picture is actually one of three units in a row: one for the downstairs, one for the upstairs and one for the room over the original garage (rog). Yeah, that unit is 3 tons. If I had that for the new garage I could hang meat in there! :shock: :lol: However, the rog unit is a 1-1/2 ton unit. Since the kids are long gone, we really only use the rog for storage, and I keep the thermostat set at 50* in the winter and 85* in the summer just to keep it from getting too extreme. Well, the attic space over the new garage adjoins the attic space for the rog. :idea: I'm toying with the idea of running some duct work over to the new garage, adding some isolation dampers and a second thermostat in the garage that I can switch over to. I can probably throttle the dampers to let the majority of the air go to the garage, and a little "leakage" go to the rog to keep it between the extremes. I doubt any of that will happen as a "phase 1" part of the project since I can easily get to all of it after all the construction is completed. I just want to get the garage done and move my Comet in so I can start work on it. I'll see what the "misery index" is during the first year and decide if its worth the effort.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I like tha way you think. I'm guessing in case need to throttle back to rog if guest show up? how you gonna throttle them dampers?
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Not needed for guests. They can stay in one of the kid's rooms. We just use it for storage now. I just don't want the rog to get down to freezing in the winter or 120* in summer. I would be able to get to the dampers from the attic space, which has stand-up head clearance, a decked floor and pulldown stair access. Once adjusted, though, I may never touch it again unless we decide to do something different with the rog in the future, and that might mean a mini-split dedicated to the rog. In the meantime, for very little investment, this would allow me to condition the garage while tempering the rog, and be able to tell my wife "hey, I can change it back any time." :) :lol:

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well, after some time off for a few days of travel, two hurricanes (tropical storms by the time they got to us) and a few other minor plagues and pestilences, I finally finished the siding. I'm calling the garage door installer on Monday to find out the status of my door that is supposed to be here "in November". In the meantime, I'll get back on to the wiring and do what I can until I can tear out the existing vinyl ceiling and remove the foam board from the wall between the old and new garages. I can't remove them until I have the door installed, though, or I'll have every squirrel in the neighborhood setting up housekeeping in my attic. I've already got birds roosting in the garage on the cold nights. :roll:

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"Did you see what ths guy across the road did to his carport?!!!"
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

There is joy in Mudville tonight! My garage door was installed today! It operates very smoothly, and with the high lift kit and the Liftmaster wall mount opener it raises to within about four inches of the ceiling. That gives me about 11-1/2 feet of clearance from the floor to the door when its open, which should work well when I Install my lift. I removed several ceiling panels on either side of the door opening this morning (after confirming they were coming today so the attic wouldn't be exposed to the birds and squirrels tonight :roll: ) to allow access for the installers to attach the ceiling brackets. That's why it still has the strip of remaining ceiling panels in the center in the picture. Now I can pull the rest of the vinyl ceiling down and resume my wiring. Slow but reasonably steady progress. :D

An interesting side note: one of the installers saw my Comet parked in the original garage and said he liked my GTO. :roll: :lol:

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your project is looking good! I have two of the Liftmaster 8500’s in my shop, I had an issue with “phantom” opening of one of the doors until installed a replacement control panel from Liftmaster. It seems they had a batch of bad panels. I now have a limit switch on that door that operates a remote light on my shop, as soon as the door starts to open the light illuminates to let me know it’s open. I also put the wall mounted control panels on “lock” unless I am opening the doors.
What brand lift are you considering? Four post or two post?

Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:52 pm
Your project is looking good! I have two of the Liftmaster 8500’s in my shop
Thanks! I went with the Liftmaster based on your and John's recommendations two years ago. Mine is wifi equipped, John, so I can operate it and check on it's status remotely. Nice!
A/FX wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:52 pm
What brand lift are you considering? Four post or two post?
I've decided to go with the Triumph two post portable. I plan to mount the pump unit to the post closest to the wall, which will be mounted to the floor all the time, and route the hose for the other post overhead. That way there will be no hoses on the floor, and I can disconnect the hose quick-connect from the post in the center of the floor and store it on a hook from the ceiling and move that post against the wall out of the way when not needed.

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Finally accomplished another milestone on the garage project today by passing my electrical inspection. :D Between the holiday season and a family illness that was discovered the end of December and will be ongoing for some time, the garage had taken a backseat and only gotten my attention in short spurts. I can now move on to insulation and sheetrock. Hopefully, neither will take as long as the wiring did, especially since at least the sheetrock will be contracted. Feels like I'm finally starting to get back on track again.

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

:D Happy for you
Tom
tomb's 65

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Good call to have the sheetrock contracted...your back will thank you. :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well....progress has been blazing along at a glacial pace. :roll: Lots of other stuff demanding time. But, I finished the insulation yesterday, and passed my insulation inspection today, so next step is sheetrock. Hopefully, the ice will melt a little quicker on that since I plan to hire that done.

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Looking good Jim. Nice lift your standing on, bet it saved you a ton on work.
Motor Safe,
Lee