Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: Car Lift and Garage

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:03 pm
It's 22'-6" x 24'-6". Ideally, I would have liked for it to be a little larger, but since it started as an attached carport that shares a roof with the house it would have been a BIG deal to change the footprint. I think it will work out fine, though. I'm going to insulate it, but no plans for HVAC at this point. We rarely get into the 20's here in the winter, though the summers can get pretty brutal. I'll have a 36" man-door opposite the 16' garage door, and I'll have several fans to stir the humidity around. I'll see how it does next summer. If it gets too bad, I'll get a window unit. :lol:

Jim
There are advantages of a smaller shop,, lots easier to heat & cool them, & heats up & cools off quicker than a big one.I use a big window unit & it'll cool it off in there in 20 minutes on the hot days & bout the same time to warm it up with a ventless gas wall heater . the window unit has wifi so I can control it with my phone,turn it on 10-15min before I go out & it's usually pretty nice in there by then.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:03 pm
It's 22'-6" x 24'-6". Ideally, I would have liked for it to be a little larger, but since it started as an attached carport that shares a roof with the house it would have been a BIG deal to change the footprint. I think it will work out fine, though. I'm going to insulate it, but no plans for HVAC at this point. We rarely get into the 20's here in the winter, though the summers can get pretty brutal. I'll have a 36" man-door opposite the 16' garage door, and I'll have several fans to stir the humidity around. I'll see how it does next summer. If it gets too bad, I'll get a window unit. :lol:

Jim
There are advantages of a smaller shop,, lots easier to heat & cool them, & heats up & cools off quicker than a big one.I use a big window unit & it'll cool it off in there in 20 minutes on the hot days & bout the same time to warm it up with a ventless gas wall heater . the window unit has wifi so I can control it with my phone,turn it on 10-15min before I go out & it's usually pretty nice in there by then.
Id rather just use the gravel driveway but the wife,,,,, 😅
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Having a larger space is great but most guys can do with a smaller workspace. In the past I have had a small two car garage and built my Comet there with no issues. After moving into the “country” I bought a place with a 25x32 building that also served its purpose. When I built my new shop my goal was to have every vehicle and tool I owned under one roof. I designed the building to be a work place and have a separate space for storage, the storage area is not climate controlled but has an insulated concrete floor. (Condensation) my workspace is hydronic heated, I do not have air conditioning. (Yet) I limited the side wall height to 9’ to match my home but I designed the center of the building to have a vaulted ceiling above the lift. A lift is a great tool and can be used for more than raising a vehicle. I used my four post lift as a bridge crane to put the Comet body on my rotisserie. One of the best things you can do when constructing any building is to insulate it correctly. Insulation is one thing that you cannot have too much of. I over insulated my shop and it saves me money every day in heating costs. Even if the building is not heated insulation will keep the building warmer in winter and cooler in the summer.
Looking forward to progress reports on your project.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Quick update from the last couple of days. Got the side wall (the biggest one) framed. It will have two windows in it for light and ventilation. Fell off an 8ft step ladder from about 5 feet up this evening just before I planned to knock off for the day. :oops: Landed feet first on the concrete floor and jambed my back. Pretty stove up right now, and jacked up on Advil and an icepack. Probably my last update for a few days. :roll:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm
Fell off an 8ft step ladder from about 5 feet up this evening just before I planned to knock off for the day. :oops: Landed feet first on the concrete floor and jambed my back. Pretty stove up right now, and jacked up on Advil and an icepack. Probably my last update for a few days. :roll:
Take care of yourself first, Jim! I wrecked my back on a construction project last year & still haven't recuperated from it.
Work on my car has been very slow because of it. Every day of work is 3-4 back rest days with medication.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Wow! Your fortunate that you are able to post tonight. You may feel it tomorrow, hopefully nothing is broken. I know I don’t bounce as well as I did years ago!
The project is looking good, I hope you will feel good enough to get back on it soon.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sorry to read about the fall.
Hope your just sore and able to be back at it soon!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you recover soon Jim. Garage is looking good!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for your concerns. Surprisingly, I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday evening. Took some measurements and shot some laser lines this afternoon. Just taking it slow and easy for now.

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Falling of a ladder sucks! Glad to hear you are ok and feeling better!

Garage looks great. Going to be sweet having a lift. Good to hear you are still making progress.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea glad to hear you're feeling better. I fell off a step ladder one time,leaning out too far & it slipped,I caught myself somehow & somehow twisted that ladder & it never did set right after that . & I think it would have hurt less to go on to the ground. pulled a bunch of muscles,I didnt set right for a while myself.

Be a good time to frame up a hole for a window/wall ac/heat unit Jim . cut it out later.
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Glad you are feeling better Jim. Years ago, while working on an addition to my house, I took an unplanned exit off an 8' ladder. Broke my humerus bone; arm immobilized for 2 1/2 months, couldn't swing a hammer for a year. Definitely screwed up my timeline for that project. :( Ladders are to be respected. Take care and be careful.
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Glad your feeling better. Just take it slow and listen to what your body is telling you.
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Nailed some more boards together today. Got the east wall framed with opening for 36" man door. Taking it slow and easy. Used a hand truck to move around saw and compressor. Would feel a twinge once and a while, so I'd ease off and stretch. Made progress, just at a slower pace. Got a guy coming tomorrow to give me an estimate on the garage door.

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Finished the framing this afternoon. Next step is sheathing. Get some skin on this thing! :D

Jim