A Peek Behind my Shed

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

A Peek Behind my Shed

Post by lavron »

I know it seems like there is a bunch of junk behind my shed where I tend to shop often, there are some cool things back there, a couple of things that I have talked about before I think, are a couple of old trucks (future projects?) One is a '49 Ford F-4 that my dad bought when I was in HS, it was a dump truck at the time, it has the big flathead V8 and a three-speed, the speedometer goes up to 80MPH but you might hit that coasting down a hill, it is really low geared.

The old truck is actually in pretty good shape there are just a few spots of rust on it.

It's partner out behind the shed is a '69 F-350.

It was a lot better before a tree fell on it, it really only damaged the hood and busted out the windshield, the hood has some Bondo in it so a replacement might have been needed anyway. The truck was originally dark metallic blue and then highway dept. yellow, my dad painted it red and white.

With a little trepidation, I opened the hood on the '69, somewhere under there is a 300 six, it might take a little digging to find it :roll:

I saw the culprit run off after I opened it up, I hate rats with a passion.

The brakes are froze up on the passenger side of '69, I had it hauled over here on a rollback and the guy had to just drag it up on there and then chain it to a tree to drag it back off.

So not all junk IMO behind the shed :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: A Peek Behind my Shed

Post by popscomet »

MIKE,ain't none of that is junk to POP!! it's all a collction of stuff,,and a good one at that :!: :wink: best part of it is....ALL FORD :!: just like mine,,all ford....pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That 49 is cool!
Flat deck an drive it
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIKE,is the PTO and ram and all the dump stuff still with that 49???.....I don't need it ,but someone might,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Those would make really cool car haulers like the old days.
Install a ramp with hydraulics and a winch 8)
Beats hauling a car trailer behind a station wagon. :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YEA,,,,like AUSSIE JOHN and his comet hauling MERCURY !! pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm
MIKE,is the PTO and ram and all the dump stuff still with that 49??
The dump bed is long gone but I have the cylinder, mount (hinge), and PTO pumps, I figure one of them will have a dump bed :P I think the 69 was bought to add the dump stuff too but dad never got around too it, I scoured his shed and collected as many parts as I could find, not sure I got everything but enough to start, the '49 has its frame rails cut off right behind the rear spring mounts because it had a little short dump bed.

I have thought about putting the '49 cab on the '69 chassis and having something a little more road-friendly, but I might like having the more roomy cab of the '69. I also might like an automatic and even A/C, but you know me, the inline 6 would probably stay :P
popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm
best part of it is....ALL FORD
The only stuff I own that is not Ford, there is my Jeep Cherokee and a Chevy Tracker (you know that is really a Suzuki) sitting back there. I broke the driveshaft in the Tracker and never got around to fixing it, now I have to clear all the rodents out of it and figure out why the fuel pump is not working (guess is a chewed up wire) put a driveshaft in it, cleaning it up and trying to get few bucks out of it.
SASSY wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:34 pm
That 49 is cool!
Flat deck an drive it
The funny thing about that truck, it has 18" split rims, dad was aways trying to find a set of '16 wheels to fit it because the tires were expensive and no one wanted to change them, I guess it was easier to get a different truck :roll: The tires on that truck are the same ones that were on it when he bought it, I think I was junior in HS and that was a good 40 years ago, they still hold air.

The neat thing about the '49 is it is complete except for the missing window regulator (the other window is tied up with wire) of course every bit of the glass in the truck is cracked. It also only has one windshield wiper, I guess the second one was optional, it has never had but the one. I always wondered if it was not an ex-army truck but I can see no indication that it ever was, it is the same color green under the hood as the rest of the truck.

It certainly is in the rat rod territory but the paint is too nice :P no patina.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

none of those trucks had 2 wipers unless it happen to be the top of the line truck or it was paid for extra accessiors,,ford use to do that alot back then,,,,I once traded for a 1owner 55 ford pu that had no rear bumper,I ask the old man where was it,,he said I bought this brand new and the rear bumper was extra money...and I wasn't gonna pay for it,,,so I said ,are you telling me there has never been one on it,,yep,he said....A lot of times the cheaper truck would only have a drivers sun-visor back then,,,,even a heater at times.....
pop/glenda