Wheels Turning in My Head

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Wheels Turning in My Head

Post by lavron »

I was out yesterday and started the daunting task of doing some clean-up/organizing in the shed, I would guess a long term project :roll:

After moving a bunch of stuff I snatched up the 170 with the cherry picker and put it on the now-empty stand, it was more of a hassle than I hoped for because I had to remove the clutch, pressure plate, & flywheel to get it to bolt-on.

I think I have mentioned before this motor has fairly low mileage since the major overhaul so sometime I think I will clean it up and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Going back into the shed, I shoved the 4 cyl. T5 under the table next to the top loader 3 speed and then it happened, wheels started spinning :roll: I looked at how close the T5 and the 3-speed were, I looked over at the 170 on the stand, I thought about the 8 inch sitting outside :roll: I thought what I really need is a cheap older Comet (or Falcon) that needs a transplant :P (my uncle has grandpa's '60-'61 Comet two-door sedan sitting out behind his barn :idea: )

I know my '64 is supposed to be my budget build but I could really make a cheap little project :P Motor needs a little clean-up at the most, I have the carbs (and rebuild kits for them) header, driveshaft, rear diff., new"ish" radiator, etc, etc. Mostly a good amount of experience of what I can and cannot do :P

Most I would need is to rebuild the frontend, maybe with '65 steering, if I can on early car, if I ended up with an early one, leave it all 4-bolt wheels and use my 14" wheels off the Comet and the dog dish caps possibly do some kind of front disk conversion and dual master.

I could do power brakes, & EPS and build my wife a car :P (yes she can drive a stick) she would want A/C and that would kill my super low budget :?

I will probably put a stop to those turning wheels before it ever happens :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Re: Wheels Turning in My Head

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Mike!

Having owned a couple of '65s and now a '63, I have found the early cars to be even more of a headache when it comes to parts availability.
But your ingenuity should get you over that hurdle, using those non-stock parts and fabrication skills. :D

If it's a '60 with the wild tailfins, I say go for it! :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Losing focus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

go for it,,DWAYNE,my son is looking for a 60-63 falcon,,,,been talking about it for awhile,he wants to put a 2.3 or 2.5 4cyl out of one of these retired race cars , with a 5spd just to booger around in,be different and cause we can got it all but the body,,,,,so mike the only thing holding you back is your nerves,,,go for it.......pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mike, you're the only guy I know other than Pop and my son-in-law that have enough spare parts laying around to build a whole car. :lol: I'd say go for it. BUT....you need to get that 64 finished to the level you've had envisioned all these years you've been planning and working on it before you head down another rabbit trail on another project. :wink:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:52 pm
you need to get that 64 finished to the level you've had envisioned all these years you've been planning and working on it before you head down another rabbit trail on another project.
Nothing comes before the '64 is done, I like to think ahead :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058