Continuing Organizing My Shed

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Continuing Organizing My Shed

Post by lavron »

I posted a couple of days ago I was trying to clean up a little in the shed, one thing I am trying to get to the wood splitter I have had for several years but only used it once after a tornado went through the yard :roll: a couple of weeks ago I cut up a dead tree in the field and then split it up by hand, I asked myself why I was working so hard when there was a near new wood splitter in the shed? The answer to that question is there is days or weeks worth of work to get the splitter out of the shed :P (it is my anti-theft plan) anyway, I gave the wood I split up to a friend and while he was over picking it up I offered to let him use the splitter, he said he might, so I thought I should free it from its prison, in the process I thought it would be a good idea to organize and maybe fix a few little things along the way if I could that have been piling up (literally) in the back of the shed. :roll:

One thing is my air compressor, it is an HF 22 gallon (or so) unit I have had for a long. long time, I bought when HF first opened in Springfield, MO, it has actually been a good compressor until about 5 years ago (or longer) when I was building the shed (big bolt together Quonset type building so not a lot of building just putting it together) it is about 17' at the top and I had a tall scaffold set up inside and was using the air impact to install the nuts, I had my compressor out there but no power so I strung an extension cord from the house (I know not smart) most of the time the compressor would start, if it didn't I could turn it off and then usually kick it on and it would start, one day it tried to kick on while I was 12' off the ground and I couldn't get down quick enough to turn it off, it popped the breaker on the motor but I was busy and didn't take time to locate the reset button and just started using the Ryobi cordless impact driver (not sure why I wasn't using it) so sometime after I finished the shed I decided to try and get the compressor going (I had two other little 5 gallon compressors) I found the button, reset it and used it for quite some time (I had run power to shed finally) and one day it quit and the reset button would not make it start so it went to the back of the shed and I used the little compressors and inherited my dad's Craftsman 2 cylinder compressor so I wired a 220 outlet for it and have been using it since, the problem is the Craftsman is struggling to build pressure now and I think it is in need of a rebuild.

Here is the HF unit with the Craftsman sitting behind it.

Today I made it back to the compressor so I thought I would see if I could fix it, after messing with it a little bit I noticed the pressure switch looked like this on the side;

I thought that didn't look right :roll: :P

Pulled the switch and sure enough, the points inside had melted;

Just so happens both of the 5-gallon compressors had shot the wad sometime back, and of course, I don't throw anything out that has the potential to become something else :? fortunately, HF used the same pressure switch on all their compressors from that era so I pulled the point set out of the 5-gallon unit and put it in the bigger one, problem solved it runs like a champ now, I just need to find some oil to add to it. Now I can drag the Craftsman to the back of the shed and fix on it someday :P

Occasionally it pays off to be a hoarder :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Continuing Organizing My Shed

Post by popscomet »

that part about a once in awhile hoader sounds close to home..... :shock: :roll: pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Digging around yesterday and found a brand new buffer my Mom gave me for Christmas a long time ago.
I think I only used it once, put it up and forgot about it.
Are we starting a hoarder thread? :shock: :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:47 am
Are we starting a hoarder thread?
As long as it is not a competition :P I think Pops would beat me, as well as many others :? :lol:

Hopefully today I can get the wood splitter out, yesterday I finally got the tire aired back up, that was more of a chore than I liked, I had to pull the wheel off after a few attempts at re-seating the beads with some starting fluid and fire (didn't work it would seat and immediately pop back in as the burning gas escaped) I think the tire is a bit narrow for the wheel, finally, I used a ratchet strap around the tire and was able to get it to seat the bead, they are little 8" wheels and take 60# of air, hopefully when I go out this morning it won't be flat :roll: (I have not reinstalled it yet)

Going to attempt to start it after so many years of sitting idle, hopefully I did not leave gas in it. It has been used so little the splitter blade still has paint on it :?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:34 am
Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:47 am
Are we starting a hoarder thread?
As long as it is not a competition
No way I can compete. :wink:
Hope you aren't splitting blackjack. Tough on seals.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

about the only thing POP hoards up are fords and ford parts,,,rest is junk to me..... :shock: :? :? pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I successfully retrieved the splitter from the back of the shed, I went out this morning and the tire still was full, much to my disappointment the other tire was flat as well but fortunately I was able to air it back up with no issue.

It finally sees the sunshine after 8 or 9 years. It still has the tag on the fuel filler neck :P

I washed it up and started it and split up a big chunk of twisted oak, it was a lot easier (after the initial dig) than pounding away with a splitting maul, actual would have been un-splittable otherwise.

While I had stuff out I swept up a big pile of bubonic plague :?

I just swept it out the door, maybe a flower will grow :P

I also stranded the Comet, but more on that later :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

If it is Ford related or tools I will hide it away. Going through boxes that have not been opened over 20 years. Finding carbs, tail lights for a 55 and 57 Ford. When I was a teen and in to my 20s. I would by beater Fords drive them for awhile then strip. one time I boxes of starters, power steering pumps, pulleys and motors stacked up like wood. Now I mostly only have Comet and small block parts. One day my kids will have to deal with it.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I hear that alot from my son....POP when your gone I'm the one that has to deal with this stuff,,,,I told him the other night out in the shop,,,sell anything but my comet and cobra when you get ready,,,,then if you can think of anything we might need in this shop,,,buy it simple as that....don't want a new truck or take a cruise on a ship....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Back in the 80s-90s, I had a big shed full of 289 and 390 parts, manuals and a lot of books.
When I couldn't find any more solid bodies in the 90s, I sold most of it and got out of the business.
I kept a few things, mostly tools. I boxed it all up during my last move 20 years ago.
Just recently started going through it and finding things I forgot I had. Trying to find those old books now.
That information is hard to come by these days. So much nonsense on the Internet that's just flat-out wrong.
Knowledge is the most powerful tool!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 pm
I hear that alot from my son....POP when your gone I'm the one that has to deal with this stuff,,,,I told him the other night out in the shop,,,sell anything but my comet and cobra when you get ready,,,,then if you can think of anything we might need in this shop,,,buy it simple as that....don't want a new truck or take a cruise on a ship....pop
When I think about all the projects, stuff half together, half apart, junk, collectable stuff, vehicles, tools etc Ive collected I kinda smile. It has been a hobby since I was a kid to take stuff apart, just to see, sometimes it goes back together.
Marilyn used to bug me about it but I told her have a auction when Im gone, I'm having fun now.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it's not a hobby for pop...it's the way I'm wired...
pop/glenda

power band

Post by power band »

I told her have a auction when Im gone, I'm having fun now.

... she says' she knows how to use the backhoe and when I'm gone there'll be big holes in front of the barns and all the stuff in the barns is goin' in there ...

Image . Image.
Image .Image

have fun

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A friend of mine said he knew an old gentleman who had a building filled with all kinds of odds and ends, some of it pretty rare and valuable stuff. Someone asked him why didn't he sell some of it...he could make a lot of money. The old man simply answered, "Because, it pleases me".

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's the very best way to put it,,,it pleases me,,,when you work your butt off to get it,,,then you just like to know.... you have it,,,,son told me DADDY,this stuff will be here for your ever,,,then I'll take care of business.....me and momma..
pop/glenda