I got my car on my rotisserie yesterday.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
DesertRat

I got my car on my rotisserie yesterday.

Post by DesertRat »

I have a lot of work done on my car. I want to start posting the build but I seem to be photo disabled.
When I can repeat posting photos I will start the actual build thread with the beginning photos.
I still have a million questions about the drivetrain/suspension stuff. Happy new year!
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

lavron
Site Admin

Re: I got my car on my rotisserie yesterday.

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:24 pm
I want to start posting the build but I seem to be photo disabled.
Looks like you did ok so far, and yes we all want to see that build thread started :P

Thumbs up on getting it so you can roll it over will make working underneath much better.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks, I have been researching the explorer 8.8 swap. I want to get one with a posi-type gearset. From what I see it looks like 3.55:1 would be the best if I stay with my T-10 4 speed. I think I want to do it but I want to four-link the suspension and I am looking for suggestions of which kit would work best.
DR--

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm
I have been researching the explorer 8.8 swap. I want to get one with a posi-type gearset.
Can't say for sure I have seen a 3.55 with trac-lock, I wouldn't know why they would not have offered one, I know most are 3.73 & I agree if you are just doing a 4 speed it would be winding at highway speeds. Doing the home shorten is really not too hard if you are careful at least a couple of us on here have done it I believe. I am fortunate to have a scrap yard not too far away, I guess they operate kinda like a pick and pull, any rear diff is $80, I paid them extra to get them to cut it out for me, I think I ended up at $120 and then they charged me $10 exchange for the second passenger axle (and I pulled it out of junk rear myself :? ) . The biggest trouble I had was getting the e-brake to work properly but I finally got it worked out.

If you were close by I would loan you my jigs I made to hold everything straight if I didn't cut them up and make something else out of them :roll: I don't think I did.
DesertRat wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm
I want to four-link the suspension and I am looking for suggestions of which kit would work best.
My triangulated 4-link I bought from Johnny Law (Hoffman Group) off of eBay, it was ok but I really only used some of the brackets, if I was doing it again I would make my own but I am only able to say that because I did one already :P Welder Series out of Canada has a setup in both flavors (4-link and triangulated 4-link) I believe, they have good stuff, I bought several things from them like my M2 cross member, not sure how hard it is to get stuff from Canada right now with the Covid thing. https://welderseries.com/ I know BIG Dan used parts from WS on his Falcon build.

That is about all I know about that stuff :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Mike:
Is there a front suspension option that removes the shock towers but is not M2 based?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:50 pm
Mike:
Is there a front suspension option that removes the shock towers but is not M2 based?
I believe there is a k-member based that uses more modern mustang suspension and McPherson struts, can't remember who sells it, maybe Fatman fabrications, don't really know anything about it but I am sure someone here does, it was being touted as a much more modern than the M2.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Be looking forward to your build ! pic posting gets easy quick after you post a few.

as for the question about the shock towers, Not sure if you just want more room or smoothed off complete.crites has a kit to trim them.
Johno

msheaffe

Post by msheaffe »

Do you have any photos of the rear attachment of that auto twirler? Did you pick up at the leaf spring attachments? I am thinking of doing the rotisserie as well. Have some frame repairs to do :( . Also what is the total length of the car and rotisserie? Don’t know if it will even fit. Need a new garage! :lol: I will be following this!

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

msheaffe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:24 am
Do you have any photos of the rear attachment of that auto twirler? Did you pick up at the leaf spring attachments? I am thinking of doing the rotisserie as well. Have some frame repairs to do :( . Also what is the total length of the car and rotisserie? Don’t know if it will even fit. Need a new garage! :lol: I will be following this!
Thanks for asking. I have extensive photographic documentation of every step of this build. The problem is I am apparently too stupid to navigate the photo protocol on this site. I want to start the build thread but every time I try I cannot get the photos to post.
To answer your question I ordered the mustang mounting kit with the rotisserie. This attaches at the rear spring frame sockets in the rear and the front bumper brackets in the front. Since I ordered the mustang mounting kit I have two extra brackets. I have fabricated two rear bumper bracket mounts and this weekend I will modify my two extra mounts and change the rear rotisserie mount to the bumper bracket mounts. I need to free up the suspension sockets so I can install my rear suspension complete while the car is on the rotisserie. I ordered the 8" casters with the rotisserie so I can roll the entire setup out to my driveway for sanding and body work and back into the garage during the cold weather. My garage is standard height and I have lots of room vertically but it is snug lengthwise. It all fits though------------- :D

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Looking forward to your build thread so hope you figure out how to post pics.

Mike thanks for the link to the welder series.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Have you tried using John's instructions on using Postimage for your photos?
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

The rotisserie is 18'5" overall in my garage.
This is the car in the rotisserie in my garage. It looks like I will be able to post photos so I will
show how I got here in my build thread just started in 64/65 comets.
Cheers----------DR