building a race track

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
tweaked

building a race track

Post by tweaked »

For those that don't know I a member of a club the puts on a drag race every year. For 15 years we held a 1/4 mile race on our local airport. We moved to a street in town for 3 years while they did upgrades to the local airport. Our airport has no scheduled flights and is more industrial. We didn't realize that some politicians were plotting against us to not come back to the airport. We spent a lot of months fighting to get back but it will never happen again. 2019 we canceled our race in town as construction of a new sawmill where we parked race cars and loss of drive after being defeated on going back to the airport. We made plans to go back to the street in 2020 but shutdown because of covid. Currently trying to race on an industrial road and I'm trying to buy an old mill site off a forest company for a permanent race track. We presented today in front of city council for the industrial road and the old mill site is progressing. They where positive and support our plan.

Hoping there is change in the wind and we can hold a race locally again. Huge economic boom for our city. We are an old saw mil, papermill, forestry and fishing town. The race brings many people and a lot of race cars and everyone spends money. The most we had was 291 cars and that was about 50 to 70 to many. We have always had a waiting listing after the 3rd year.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

tweaked

Re: building a race track

Post by tweaked »

Pic from the airport days.

65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That awesome, keep us updated. Any chance us Comet guys can get on the list once everything is up and going?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Look forward to updates,, ROADTRIP!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's very cool, Roger! Good luck in your ventures.
Litigious times have prevented a lot of good old-fashion fun. Can't say I blame private owners from balking at hosting racing events.

Your story reminds me of the drags at an old abandoned airport that was a mile from where I grew up in the forest. I would hear them run on Sunday afternoons when the weather was favorable. It was build by the military and used during WWII but fell into disrepair by the 70's. Law enforcement eventually caught wind of it and shut it down.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi