Polishing Cast Aluminum

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Jims65cyclone

Polishing Cast Aluminum

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've got a set of cast aluminum valve covers in need of polishing. The top of the covers have ribs, with the bottom of the ribs being a rough finish and tops being a brushed finish. The sides, all the way around, are smooth, that I'm sure at one time were shiny. I'd be interested in any techniques you may have found for polishing anything made of cast aluminum.

Jim

Joe Travers

Re: Polishing Cast Aluminum

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Jim!

Back in the '70s used to buy easy spray on stuff for the aluminum slot wheels that worked really good. Just spray on and let sit a few minutes, spray off with water. Haven't bought any in many moons, sure there are even better products now. I'm gonna try Quick-Glo from down here in Red Stick. It's a little pricey but supposed to be the thing for chrome and stainless polishing. Don't know about aluminum.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The spray on products are basically a weak acid, they will clean the aluminum but will dull a polished finish. If the parts have been polished previously then a good product like Flitz will make them come alive. The area between the ribs is best left in the rough condition for two reasons, it will be easier to maintain and it will contrast the polished part. I use Flitz on a buffing pad and a cordless drill to polish my wheels, I buff the valve covers by hand.
Jim
https://www.flitz.com/

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I use a procedure similar to the one in the video
except I usually sand to 600 skip the brown bar
and go to green then white. Don't mix wheels and bars.
I agree with the speed mentioned in the vid and bolt the covers down so you can lean on them,,, SPEED, PRESSURE AND HEAT MAKES THE POLISH WORK.
Any imperfection left on the surface during sanding will
be dragged to a bigger problem during polish.
Any residue ususlly cleans up very well with baking flour
on a soft cloth.
It's a dusty, dirty process so outdoors is best and,,,,, you should be okay with with wearing a mask by now,,,lol
Fred
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOodLNI4BQ
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

These wheels were polished in 2001 using above process.
Picture is 2019 after many miles and minimal care.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, Jim, I plan to keep the cast finish in the base of the ribs and the brushed finish on top of them. Its only the sides I want to polish. I think I'm going to start with the simplest approach first (read: Flitz and elbow grease), then progress to the multi-step process with the sanding and buffing if that doesn't work. I actually stumbled across another product today, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, that had rave reviews, so I might give it a try, too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, Jim, I plan to keep the cast finish in the base of the ribs and the brushed finish on top of them. Its only the sides I want to polish. I think I'm going to start with the simplest approach first (read: Flitz and elbow grease), then progress to the multi-step process with the sanding and buffing if that doesn't work. I actually stumbled across another product today, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, that had rave reviews, so I might give it a try, too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim
I have the Mothers product also and I also have some Never-Dull but I prefer the Flitz.
If I have an aluminum piece that is marginal I usually send it to my polisher, he does it for a living and has all the correct machines and skill, it comes back looking like chrome. He did all the stainless trim on my Cyclone.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Just received my shipment of Quick-Glo today from down the river and I'm stoked! $15 and they sent me this-

I ordered fine grade to avoid scratching the aluminum taillight panel and they sent me free samples of their other two grades as well so I could test results for myself. Pretty slick business sense. Fine is advertised for aluminum polishing. Spent a minute or two hitting the face of a door handle with the finest grade to test with great results. Just a tiny dab on a cloth rag with gentle rub. The face was pitted and oxidized like the rest of the handle. Shining up like new, pits disappearing as well as oxidation leaving original bright luster. Probably need to go up to fine grade to speed up cleaning but taking it easy not to scratch anything. Tedious but the results are well worth the effort. Father & daughter shop, made down here on the bayou- https://quick-glo.com/?v=76cb0a18730b

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Cometcaliente

Post by Cometcaliente »

I have found that auto sol is a nicer polish than mothers