hot day again so house dr. Order me to stay in again

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

hot day again so house dr. Order me to stay in again

Post by lavron »

she is trying to help keep me healthy so in return and stuck in the house I decided to clean the Black Death for her (black death is the little Marlin 22 coon killer, she has dispatched so many coons. Over the last few weeks I am thinking of starting a hat company :lol: figured a good cleaning was in order to keep it operating well and accurately
see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Re: hot day again so house dr. Order me to stay in again

Post by Joe Travers »

Coon Hunter Gasser still for sale, last time I checked. Don't need a Q-beam :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like a marlin rifle...wife bought me a 44mag lever action marlin way back in the middle 70's,,,have done a lot of shooting with it,,,I always liked the length of it...back then I hunted out of a willys jeep,,,then later a 77 bronco,,,was much easier getting in and out in a hurry....awhile back son ran across a list of valuble rifles,,my 44 was on that list,,he said it was worth alot today.....I have a 30-30 marlin longer then I have had the 44........pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:35 pm
...I have a 30-30 marlin longer then I have had the 44.....
When we were young, the Marlin was a tad bit cheaper than a Win. 94 and a lot of guys bought 'em for that reason.
Just as reliable, if not better at the time. Grandpa Bob owned an octagon barrel Win. 44-40 from late 1800's. Don't know who ended up with it when he passed.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:54 pm
popscomet wrote:
Grandpa Bob owned an octagon barrel Win. 44-40 from late 1800's.

wife's step dad had one ...that thing weighed a ton,,,,would wear your butt out toten it thru the woods makeing a drive walking the dogs ......had a good kick when you pulled the trigger,,,best I recall..altho I never would shoot it...pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:54 pm
popscomet wrote:
When we were young, the Marlin was a tad bit cheaper than a Win. 94 and a lot of guys bought 'em for that reason.
Just as reliable, if not better at the time. Grandpa Bob owned an octagon barrel Win. 44-40 from late 1800's. Don't know who ended up with it when he passed.

Joe
The little Winchester is a 1844 I think with the hex barrel but a 1930s or so model heavy little gun I really like it. The marlin that got named ‘the Black Death is a Marlin 22-99M1Carbine. So it is short, I fitted it with a black nylon Drganov Stock for a Marlin60? (one of longer guns, I can’t remember those Malin numbers off the top of my head right now :roll: I hcut the stockdown, bedded the stock to the action and did light trigger springmodification on it so the trigger pulls smooth and consistent. Removed the front sight because I sat the scope( Bushnell dawn dusk scope) as low as I could down on the barrel.Added a few rails and fit a bipod on it, there is a laser pointer on there I have hardly ever used,don’t really need it, and a tiny gun light, wth a faulty switch , the Bushnell works so well with the yard light on, it looks like day through the scope, I stuck a reticular sight on there just to try that I got cheap at the Bass Pro outlet, but can’t get used to shooting with both eyes open. With all the work I have done on. The gun and having it since I was about 10 years old it is my favorite 22 and go to gun, I wish I had a deer rifle built just like it :wink: except the liberals would label it an assault gun because it would be black and have a better grip design. Just not sure what gun I would want to start with to build it, I like my. 243 bolt actionbut don’t think there is a semi auto in that caliber :roll: I don’t really need semi auto because I am a single shot single kill type guy, like to have a sure shot before I pull th trigger, just if I was duplicating the 22 in a large r caliber the Marlin is semi auto(which is handy when dispatching multiple coons at once(5 at once is my record)
see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:59 pm
wife's step dad had one ...that thing weighed a ton,,,,would wear your butt out toten it thru the woods makeing a drive walking the dogs ......had a good kick when you pulled the trigger,,,best I recall..altho I never would shoot it...pop
Believe it was a scabbard rifle, Pop. I know Grandpa hunted with it off a horse. Yeah, it was a heavy rascal! Handled it a few times but never got the chance to fire it. Did fire a .458 Win. Mag. ONCE :shock: :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I live in the jungle so not a lot of long shooting for me, most of my kills in the woods are around 100 feet away :lol: so a carbine type suits me fine , my first deer I shot here was in the evening sitting in a lawn chair at the base of an oak tree waiting for the deer to come from behind a brush pile(could just see her ears poking above the pile listening so as she got closer I raised the gun and waited an eternity, I wished I had my shooting stick that day because the barrel end got a might heavy before she finally came out, and I thought how can she not see me sitting here pointing a gun at her, guess she did not have too long to think about it, that was a tasty deer for sure :lol: most I shoot are,not looking for trophies but good meat.

see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

We hunted every year down in South Texas, going toward Laredo on my Aunt's ranch.
Longest shot I made was 325 yards with 130-grain boat-tail .270 Win, Rem 700.
Lots of 8 point bucks and beautiful turkeys. Those were great times and a lot of fun.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

We get a bit of these temps in August but this is ridiculous!!!!
Im in hiding mode too!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DEER camp was a fun time ,,,a movie should have been made about it,,this was before 3 and 4 whlrs,,side by sides,,and so on,,back then we didn't even have campers,,,thru up a tent,,we use to take big rocks and put them in the fire,,,help keep your feet warm at night...we'd give those old jeeps a hard way to go,,,and we all had a pack of hounds,,slowly all the public land was gone ,,,those were the good ole days,,,I got away from going a few yrs ago,,sold out and gave it up,,,,shoot it today and cook it for supper,,,,,like most things ,it turns into a memory,,,,spent many nights around a campfire listening to tall tales,,,passing around a jug,,,it looked like clear water,,,but it dang sure had a kick,,,,,,next morning your head would be throbbing like a sick robin's butt!!,,,,kinda glad all that is just a memory,,,
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Went fishing once with dad. But being a very fair skinned redhead sitting in a boat under that sun,,, forget that!!!
Shot a gun once,,, thanks but I'll spend that money ln racin too!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:27 pm
Yikes Fred!
Used to work out in those temps when I was young but I'm in the A/C these days when it hits over 90F! :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Fred, you may as well move down here to SC with those temps! :lol: We've been lucky so far and haven't gotten out of the 90's yet. The main difference here is when it does top 100*, the humidity is usually in the 80% range. :roll: You could fill a couple of bathtubs with the condensate off an AC coil. :shock:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:31 pm
Hey Fred, you may as well move down here to SC with those temps! :lol: We've been lucky so far and haven't gotten out of the 90's yet. The main difference here is when it does top 100*, the humidity is usually in the 80% range. :roll: You could fill a couple of bathtubs with the condensate off an AC coil. :shock:

Jim
That is the Omzarks for you, asI am sure Pops can confirm it can plumb tropical in the summer around here hot and humid.
see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread