1965 Comet tail light wiring - Need your help

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Comet tail light wiring - Need your help

Post by poboyjo65 »

very well could be. all cars may have had the wires ran back there . I'll look at mine again at the color of the wires later. snap a few pics
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Black w/ red stripe is backup light for '64. I imagine it's the same for '65.
Check and see if the switch is installed just to be sure someone didn't change the lens and pull the bulbs.
Unlikely but possible.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:03 pm
Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am
Hello. Forum newbie here.......I recently bought a 1965 Comet Caliente for my wife and notice it doesn't have any reverse lights. Is this normal?

While checking out the rear tail lighting, I also found some splicing of wires from the outer tail light housing to the main tail lights which doesnt seem right.

Anyone have this same, non reverse light setup and don't mind taking pictures of their tail light wiring so I can make sure they are wired properly?

I already bought a '65 shop manual and have found some '65 Comet wiring diagrams but not all that I see on paper matches with what I see in her car.

TIA
Do all the rear tail lights and brake lights work properly? If so I would think they are wired correctly.

This does not mean they are factory wired or that the wires are spliced like that from the factory.

Typically when there are multiple tail lights/brake lights the wiring is split at the rear for the multiple sockets. Now if it was from the factory I would think there would be bullet connectors and not splices. But if John is right and the non backup light cars left the corner light empty then there would be no factory connectors to take pictures of. And this would be something a previous owner has done/modified

Here is a schematic of a 64 comet to show how the factory did multiple tail lights
http://www.rowand.net/shop/cars/1964for ... omet01.jpg

As far as the black/ red wire I would assume it is for back up lights. First I would get a test light and see if the wires have power with the key on and car in reverse. Check the test light on a wire you know is hot like a taillight or lic plate light first to make sure test light is working and you got a good ground. If there is power at the wires then they are for reverse lights. If not could be bad backup light switch, or bad wiring. Or just not the right wires, But I would think they are for reverse lights.

These cars are over 50 years old and most have had some modifications over the years.

Do you want to change the car back to having backup lights?

Lou

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 am
very well could be. all cars may have had the wires ran back there . I'll look at mine again at the color of the wires later. snap a few pics
Appreciate the efforts!

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 am
Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:03 pm
Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am
Hello. Forum newbie here.......I recently bought a 1965 Comet Caliente for my wife and notice it doesn't have any reverse lights. Is this normal?

While checking out the rear tail lighting, I also found some splicing of wires from the outer tail light housing to the main tail lights which doesnt seem right.

Anyone have this same, non reverse light setup and don't mind taking pictures of their tail light wiring so I can make sure they are wired properly?

I already bought a '65 shop manual and have found some '65 Comet wiring diagrams but not all that I see on paper matches with what I see in her car.

TIA
Do all the rear tail lights and brake lights work properly? If so I would think they are wired correctly.

Do you want to change the car back to having backup lights?

Lou
No, I found the last owner had installed sockets on the outside lenses and wired them to the original harness wrong. He simply wired the outside sockets to both the wires feeding the tail/stop/brake wires thinking one was positive and one was negative. By doing so, both outside socket bulbs blew immediately when lite up (found both bulbs blown and white inside the glass). Also, this wrong connection effected the brake light switch (tested bad and also jumped the connector to see working brake lights) and either the turn signal flasher (if there is one for this year) and/or the turn signal switch. When using the turn signal switch, both sides will flash correctly for about 5 seconds and then start to flash on and off very fast. I know once I get everything back to normal and operating, I can wire up the outside lenses correctly to light up only when the tail lights are turned on with the light switch.

PicsArt_08-01-09.04.44.jpg
PicsArt_08-01-09.04.44.jpg (165.95 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

I'm going to leave it a non-backup car.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Mvannote wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am

No, I found the last owner had installed sockets on the outside lenses and wired them to the original harness wrong. He simply wired the outside sockets to both the wires feeding the tail/stop/brake wires thinking one was positive and one was negative. By doing so, both outside socket bulbs blew immediately when lite up (found both bulbs blown and white inside the glass). Also, this wrong connection effected the brake light switch (tested bad and also jumped the connector to see working brake lights) and either the turn signal flasher (if there is one for this year) and/or the turn signal switch. When using the turn signal switch, both sides will flash correctly for about 5 seconds and then start to flash on and off very fast. I know once I get everything back to normal and operating, I can wire up the outside lenses correctly to light up only when the tail lights are turned on with the light switch.

I'm going to leave it a non-backup car.
Then the lights were definitely wired wrong.

The car does have a TS flasher. Maybe you can find it by listening for it while the TS are on. It is under dash. If the turn signals flash correctly for awhile then I would think the switch is good. If the switch is bad I don't think they would flash correctly at all, I can see the flasher being bad or having a bad ground.

My car was a back up light car. When I wire it I am getting rid of the outside back up lights, and going with the red outside lenses. I am wiring mine so the outside red lenses light with the light switch and work with the TS/ brake lights too.

Edit: just seen your picture. The previous owners wiring would have worked if they would have used the correct socket and bulb. The socket should be a 2 prong socket that grounds thru the base or a 2 prong socket that has a third wire for ground. With a 1157 dual element bulb. This would have made the outside light work just like the inside one with tail light, TS and brake light. I am guessing the socket they used was 1prong and with a 1156. Which would work with different wiring.
Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I haven't got out to get pics yet but throwing this in because Lou mentioned them & before I forget it. I carried a tail light in oreilys ,took sockets out of the packs & checked until I found one to fit. I haven't installed them yet but I bought these 1157 sockets with a prong for a ground wire to be added if needed. I plan to delete my BU lights & make the corner lights just an extra set of tail lights. plan to use leds. I want the brightest lights I can get back there,I can touch the brake lights to see how to back up. but getting back to the sockets,,,it's hard to find them to fit the corner lights of these cars so I thought I mention these. anyone else who wants sockets to fit the corner lights to have dual taillights these fit ;
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:43 pm
I haven't got out to get pics yet but throwing this in because Lou mentioned them & before I forget it. I carried a tail light in oreilys ,took sockets out of the packs & checked until I found one to fit. I haven't installed them yet but I bought these 1157 sockets with a prong for a ground wire to be added if needed. I plan to delete my BU lights & make the corner lights just an extra set of tail lights. plan to use leds. I want the brightest lights I can get back there,I can touch the brake lights to see how to back up. but getting back to the sockets,,,it's hard to find them to fit the corner lights of these cars so I thought I mention these. anyone else who wants sockets to fit the corner lights to have dual taillights these fit ;
Thanks for the info John!! I will order a couple for mine.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:43 pm
I haven't got out to get pics yet but throwing this in because Lou mentioned them & before I forget it. I carried a tail light in oreilys ,took sockets out of the packs & checked until I found one to fit. I haven't installed them yet but I bought these 1157 sockets with a prong for a ground wire to be added if needed. I plan to delete my BU lights & make the corner lights just an extra set of tail lights. plan to use leds. I want the brightest lights I can get back there,I can touch the brake lights to see how to back up. but getting back to the sockets,,,it's hard to find them to fit the corner lights of these cars so I thought I mention these. anyone else who wants 1157 2 prong sockets to fit the corner lights to have dual taillights these fit ;
Thanks for the info John!! I will order a couple for mine.

Lou
Lou they are a little tight, kinda aggravating to get all of the prongs in the hole but after it snaps in feels good & tight , so in your case I would suggest putting the sockets in before you put the tail lights on. If I blow a bulb I plan to change bulbs by taking the lens off vs taking the socket back out ,just seems easier.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:50 pm
If I blow a bulb I plan to change bulbs by taking the lens off vs taking the socket back out ,just seems easier.
That is the procedure suggested in the shop manual for '64-'65 Comet. Later changed, of course to the twist out sockets and fixed lenses on later models. My memory is returning a bit. :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I have a Comet wiring diagram that shows the backup lights fed by a black/red wire. Maybe your wire was black/red originally and the red faded. I don't know the year for the diagram.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

As mentioned, the backup wire is black with red stripe,just like the diagram I put on the previous page as well as other diagrams mentioned. but maybe faded like Tom said or so dirty the red cant be seen,might peel back tape to inspect other areas.

here is a pic of my 1156 single wire/prong BU light bulb pulled out with red stripe wire to it;

Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Mvannote wrote:

............... When using the turn signal switch, both sides will flash correctly for about 5 seconds and then start to flash on and off very fast. I know once I get everything back to normal and operating, I can wire up the outside lenses correctly to light up only when the tail lights are turned on with the light switch.
If you haven't already tried. I would disconnect the wires going to the outside sockets then try the turn signals. It may fix the problem. ESP if the outside socket is a single contact.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:31 am
Mvannote wrote:

............... When using the turn signal switch, both sides will flash correctly for about 5 seconds and then start to flash on and off very fast. I know once I get everything back to normal and operating, I can wire up the outside lenses correctly to light up only when the tail lights are turned on with the light switch.
If you haven't already tried. I would disconnect the wires going to the outside sockets then try the turn signals. It may fix the problem. ESP if the outside socket is a single contact.

Lou
good advice!

my half blind brother stuck single prong 1156 bulbs in the front signals of a brand x (which should have been double prong 1157) & it was doing all kinds of crazy things. I had a lot of trouble getting them out, not made to fit.

good idea to check your front bulbs too.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 am
If I remember correctly the twilight wires are dark blue or green wth a yellow stripe. But JohnO can confirm that for you
-Obo
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058