carb squirter issue

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

carb squirter issue

Post by loman »

Looking for ideas. The set of carbs on my car right now seem to have a small issue. When the car sits over night or most of the day without starting the squirters are dry or lost their prime, however you want to say it. Anyone have this issue before or ideas as to what is going on? My first thought was a leaky accelerator pump, but it appears to be dry. Next thing I'm gonna check later today or tomorrow is if the the little needle/plunger is still in the carburetor underneath the squirters. One other thing is that the fuel bowls are of an older style then the actual carb and metering block that they are installed on. I don't know if that would make a difference or not, just putting it out there. The person I am borrowing the carbs from has only one set of fuel bowls and when we swap carbs we had to use the same fuel bowls from one set of carbs to the other.

Joe Travers

Re: carb squirter issue

Post by Joe Travers »

Have you popped out the sight plugs and checked fuel level in the bowls?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

loman

Post by loman »

I pulled one of the carbs off this morning and one of the fuel bowls is definately leaking. The other was dry on the outside. Then I removed a fuel bowl screw to drain any fuel out of primary and secondary and they were both empty. i didn't see any fuel if the intake valley before, doesn't mean it wasn't there but with the carb off and better lighting and scrutinizing I can see signs that the carb has been leaking and I'm assuming fuel bowl since it was wet. That also is the side with the accelerator pump. What is confusing to me now is why the secondary bowl would be empty? Gonna pull the other carb this afternoon and check that one as well.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Check fuel filter first. If it's okay, fuel pump may be ratting out on you. Running mechanical or electric? If mechanical, check your dipstick. Diaphragm may be letting go. Whip out the pressure gauge and check her out.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

i removed the other carb and set on bench and checked for fuel. The primary bowl was empty and the secondary bowl was full of fuel. So i took sight plug out of side of fuel bowl tipped carb on side and filled full of fuel. I actuated the accelerator pump a few times until it was shooting fuel out. I'm gonna let it sit all day and see what happens tonight. If it is still good tonight, I'll wait until tomorrow and check again.

loman

Post by loman »

I set the carbs on the motor yesterday and connected the fuel line and ran the fuel pump to fill up carbs and then let it sit. I worked the accelerator pumps and enough to where they were squirting properly and then let the carbs sit. I would check every now and then and I would find my finger would be moist not necessarily wet with fuel by several fuel bowl screws. The screws on these carbs were the old style that use a regular slotted screw driver and had the hard black plastic washers beneath them. I finally took hex head fuel bowl bolts and nylon white washers off my other car's 950 and 1050 carburetors and put them on. That seemed to help yesterday. When I got home today from work I checked the accelerator pumps and squirters and I still had 2 good streams of fuel and nothing had drained down. I removed the site plugs turned the fuel pump on and double checked float level and that was good also. I pumped the car once and it fired right up. Gonna go with that and haul it to Cordova this weekend. After i haul it up there and unload I'll check everything again before starting it. Hopefully the slight stumble on the first couple of passes is gone.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Good luck, Loman!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop