Out riding again

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Out riding again

Post by SASSY »

Been a little quiet on here so thought I'd throw this up.
Been riding my bike a lot lately cause my riding season is almost done.
Couple days ago the weather was perfect did a 240 mile loop
Up 3a to the ferry and across the kootenay lake.
Then rode up to Kaslo and over 31a to Sandon an old silver mining town. The place is now famous for it's collection of electric trolley busses. The reason I stopped there is I rode them in my home town lots and one of the buses I rode on in the 60s

This how i remember them.

Then it was off to New Denver and Silverton where i got a great pic by the Slocan lake.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Out riding again

Post by A/FX »

I am envious! The scenery is gorgeous, looks like perfect riding weather. Is that a Gold Wing?

I am working on my Gold Wing right now, new water pump, timing belts, etc. I hope to ride it before the weather goes bad.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

looks like a lot of fun, and the scenery is gorgeous. :mrgreen:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Beautiful scenery, Fred!

We finally got some gorgeous weather down here 2 weeks ago and a fried ignition wire smoked me out of the Comet :(
Got a nice call today. Should be buttoned back up tomorrow but rain is setting in for the rest of the week :|
Eh...it is what it is. There will be better days :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes 1989 1500, with 120,000 miles on it. Bought last fall, did belts, tires, ujoint, and chased down a leak,, loose clamp!
Goldwingdocs great site for help etc.
Same user name there.
Fred
Last edited by SASSY on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 pm
Yes 1989 1500, with 120,000 miles on it. Bought last fall, did belts, tires, ujoint, and chased down a leak,, loose clamp!
Goldwinddocs great site for help etc.
Same user name there.
Fred
Fred,
Miles on a Honda don’t mean much, they run forever.
Mine is the original, a 1975 GL1000, no fairing, just a naked Gold Wing.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Should've know Jim, nothing but the best and valuable to boot!
Fred

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I should probably trade in my old GSXR and get an adult motorcycle. I really like the retro-styled Kawasaki 900 RS.

I have only ever owned the GSXR and before that a Ninja 600, so I am not sure how I would like being comfortable, not killing my back, not supporting 80% of my body weight with my wrists, and not dressing like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger. :lol:

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

You must ride like an adult to survive the capabilities of those motorcycles.
Thats my problem adulthood! Had a 82 Katana several years ago,,, sold it after catching myself at a buck50 on it. Part of the reason I'm still around.
Fred

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I came through the ranks of off road motorcycles, had a few enduro spec bikes that I made “street legal”. I mainly used them to ride forest roads in Michigan. I then bought a 2001 Triumph Bonneville, it had a vintage look but I wanted something more vintage looking so I modified it to look like a ‘67 model. In a weak moment last year someone offered me stupid money for it so I sold it. That was dumb move, I miss that bike. So now I am left with the Gold Wing and a ‘69 SL90.
My Bonneville: (should have never sold it)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 pm
(should have never sold it)
That's what I said for 40 years after selling my first 65 Cyclone. I found a replacement. Maybe you will, too. (But don't wait 40 years!) :D

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:49 pm
A/FX wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 pm
(should have never sold it)
That's what I said for 40 years after selling my first 65 Cyclone. I found a replacement. Maybe you will, too. (But don't wait 40 years!) :D
I doubt if I would ever locate a suitable replacement for the Bonneville, even if I did it would be quite a bit of work to duplicate everything I did to the bike to make it look vintage.
The big reason I have owned my Cyclone for 53 years, I know it could never be replaced. I normally tend to keep my vehicles for many years, one of the Messerschmitt’s I own is the car I learned how to drive in, that was when I was 11 years old!
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:20 pm
The big reason I have owned my Cyclone for 53 years, I know it could never be replaced.
It could be, for a hefty price. Last year when I was looking for another Cyclone, I found a couple of older ads that were just within my allotted budget. I got no response from inquiries for those cars and found them a few weeks later in dealer showrooms for twice the price and they were selling. I was very fortunate to find my '63 4-speed car in cherry condition for under budget and enjoy it more than my Cyclone of old.

I have an old friend that has a very nice old Bonneville he restored. He loves those bikes, as well.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe, Jim's car is irreplaceable! To have any car built to the level
Jim has built that one,, hefty isn't probably an accurate description of cost. Plus the quality of the car when he started this build,,,,, did he mention it was a magazine cover car before?
Very few if any 64s could point as well as Jim's,,, IMHO.
Fred

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:22 pm
Joe, Jim's car is irreplaceable! To have any car built to the level
Jim has built that one,, hefty isn't probably an accurate description of cost. Plus the quality of the car when he started this build,,,,, did he mention it was a magazine cover car before?
Very few if any 64s could point as well as Jim's,,, IMHO.
I totally agree with you, Fred. In it's current state, it's the most pristine and meticulous restoration I've seen.
I wasn't referring to the present state of the car, just that decent '64 Cyclones can still be found to restore to that state for a very hefty sum.
Found a good stock example recently in Washington state for 25K from a private seller. To get it to Jim's level would cost a small fortune.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop