Honey West TV show?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
351 Pinto

Honey West TV show?

Post by 351 Pinto »

Have you folks seen this old show? I never heard of it, or I did and forgot all about it. Either way it is "new" to me.

Here is a brief plot summary of every episode I have watched so far:

some people talk and do stuff
A pretty blonde drives a real 289 Cobra!
other stuff happens

Best TV show EVER!

It was filmed in 1965, so there is quite a lot of other cool cars apart from the Cobra. I haven't spotted any Comets yet, but have seen Mustangs, Galaxies, Fairlanes, and at least one Marauder.

The pictures I found online aren't that great, but you get the idea. The DVD with all 30 episodes is ~$20.
honey.jpg
honey.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Attachments
honey2.jpg
honey2.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

Jims65cyclone

Re: Honey West TV show?

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Nice cell phone. :roll: :lol:

Jim

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That almost makes Maxwell Smart's shoe phone seem practical.

According to the interweb, the car is CSX2540. After the studio returned it to Shelby, he sold it off for $3900.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

351 Pinto wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 pm
some people talk and do stuff
A pretty blonde drives a real 289 Cobra!
other stuff happens
That's funny :lol:
I completely forgot about that show. Mom liked to watch that gabby Hazel for some strange reason :roll: :lol:
I did catch an early Comet the other day on Perry Mason. Ford sponsored the show for a few years. Never cared for it but I love the cars.
Same with Highway Patrol.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

351 Pinto wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:53 am
After the studio returned it to Shelby, he sold it off for $3900.
The current value of $3,900 in 1965 is $33,870 in 2021. :shock: It wasn't chump change.

Jim

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

No, not chump change. They were never cheap. 1965 still wins, though. If you convert 1965 money to 2021, then it is only fair to look at the 2021 market, and you definitely can't get a world class sports car for $33k today.

CSX2547 sold this year for $967,500. I wonder if investing the $3900 in the stock market in 1965 would have a greater yield than if you had bought a Cobra and kept it.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I wonder how much time and effort would it take over 55 plus years to maintain the car at the level that that one sold for?
Storage, and insurance alone.
I kinda thinkin investing in plastics like the guy in The Graduate
in '65 would give a good run for the bottom line.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Those early Cobras aren't really 'cars' anymore, more investments and museum pieces. Herbie Hancock is believed to be the longest running owner of an original early Cobra. Bought it new in '63, drove it 200K miles until the prices soared and then he put it up as an investment. Smart man.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I think that is the route I would have taken as well. No way I could have stored one for any length of time. I would definitely have piled on the mileage. At the most, maybe pull the original motor and tranny out for safe keeping.

Does anyone know if the Cobras that race at Goodwood each year are real or reproduction? I am under the impression that they are real.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I think Goodwood is all about real and how much excess they can flaunt, just my opinion.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Don't keep up with the crowd but there are plenty of glass bodies out there that make thrilling rides @ a small fraction of the price.
Still waiting on Pop to finish his so he can post a wild and wholly GoPro video :P

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

A short Cobra story....
Back in the 60’s I guy I knew bought a used 289 Cobra, (third owner) he drove it for a while but a growing family made him sell it. I worked at the same company as his wife, every once and a while she would mention that he wished he had not sold the Cobra. (Same old story)
Fast forward to 2020.
I had not seen him or his wife for a number of years, I then heard he passed away. About a year after he passed I received a phone call from his wife, she remembered that I was a Ford guy and wanted to know what to do with some “Cobra stuff” she found while cleaning out the basement. I asked her if any of the paper work had “CSX” and a five digit number, she said yes! I took the number and called a friend of mine who is on the board of the SAAC.
He put me in contact with the current owner, I explained what the widow had found and told him the right place for th stuff was with the car, he agreed. I sent him pictures of all of the stuff, he made the widow and fair offer and she gladly excepted it. I picked up the stuff, boxed it and sent it to the owner, he sent a check to the widow. Everyone was happy.
I actually came out on top because the widow baked me a cake as a thank you.
Here is just part of the stuff:

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:36 pm
Don't keep up with the crowd but there are plenty of glass bodies out there that make thrilling rides @ a small fraction of the price.
Still waiting on Pop to finish his so he can post a wild and wholly GoPro video :P

Joe
Been watching this one for awhile. Been on their website for months, hoping they put a sale date on it soon.

https://www.copart.com/lot/53148140

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:30 pm
A short Cobra story....
Great story, Jim! Everyone comes out on top. Cake is good stuff.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

That is a great story, and shows you to be an honest man! Bravo to you, sir!

I watched another episode last night, and the Cobra never appeared once :x Funny how Anne Francis wasn't quite so gorgeous without the Cobra wrapped around her. Still pretty easy on the eyes, just not quite the same...