Mecum Auction

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Mecum Auction

Post by A/FX »

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Mecum Auction

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That black 64 is a beauty.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Imo put more sidewall under the back of the black one, the last one is obvious, but they're all way nicer than mine, tidy, tidy!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

The black one sold at Kissimmee in 2019 for $40,700 with buyers commission. Think it would bring more now but going to be interesting to see if it brings more or less. Really wanted to check it out, but won't be getting to Mecum till Sunday or Monday.

If it doesn't sell I will get to check it out in the "Bid goes on" section. If it sells it will go behind the fence and won't be able to see it. Edit: forgot the no reserve, it will sell, going to miss seeing the black one.

The two on Tuesday I will get to see.

Mecum is a blast! Really wanted to leave today but got behind this week.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The black ‘64 Cyclone sold for $47K!
Sorry but there is no way that car was worth that kind of money, the interior was a wreck, and shiny paint can hide a lot of sins.
Just my opinion.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-485562/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 pm
Sorry but there is no way that car was worth that kind of money, the interior was a wreck, and shiny paint can hide a lot of sins.
Just my opinion.
I agree, good looking car but 47? Crazy
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Prices for classic/collector cars are crazy (especially mid 60's Chevys)! I shopped seriously for 8 months in 2021(open minded, wanted a classic or "fun" car) and was discouraged by the prices asked for crappy cars. I still check out BaT for the fun of it (https://bringatrailer.com/). Felt really fortunate when I came across the Comet I bought, which I got locally.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 pm
Just my opinion.
That's 10 grand more than it sold for in 2019, not a bad profit. But yea 47 seems high.

Prices are crazy. 1990 Caprice brought 35k.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48559 ... -brougham/

I mean who the heII wants a 1990 Caprice. Been checking out what some of the cars are bringing and most seem high.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Prices for classic/collector cars are crazy (especially mid 60's Chevys)! I shopped seriously for 8 months in 2021(open minded, wanted a classic or "fun" car) and was discouraged by the prices asked for crappy cars. I still check out BaT for the fun of it (https://bringatrailer.com/). Felt really fortunate when I came across the Comet I bought, which I got locally.
Jim
Nice Comet!!

BaT seems to bring good money. My problem is I just can't buy a car without checking it out in person.

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks Lou, I love it! I also would never buy a car without driving it. I think BaT also charges 5% to buyers, plus transportation/shipping...It's nuts what some folks are paying.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

When you see 'built to 271hp specs' & the distributor has a vacuum canister........ :roll:
Knock off $10K right there for false advertising.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:00 pm
When you see 'built to 271hp specs' & the distributor has a vacuum canister........ :roll:
I noticed that very thing, Joe. The HIPO didn't have a vacuum advance.

Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I guessing they put in a solid cam and screw in studs and called it "built to hipo specs".
Larry

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

The black Comet was pretty nice. The underneath floors, frame rails etc were very clean, didn't see any repairs, rust or scabs underneath. Chrome and trim real nice, Bumpers had excellent chrome looked new, (some small pitting vent window frames and frames of side glass.) Paint and body was just as nice if not nicer than the pictures, Gaps were nice. Someone did a really nice job on the body and paint! Didn't open hood or doors,(car was sitting with sold vehicles and really wasn't for inspection) interior was so-so headliner was trashed. But other than the interior it was a impressive car.

The BFX was rough all around and looked thrown together. Paint was rough, could see sand scratches, unsanded putty, etc in the paint. Trim was pretty rough, gaps and figment were bad, seats were nice. Was. really surprised it brought the money it did.

Didn't get to see the other 64 close but from a distance looked amateur-ish.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the report, Lou.

It is time the Comets started appreciating in value. When '66 Mustang six-cylinder coupes got up to $20K, Falcons started to appreciate. Then everything follows suit. JMO, watching prices last 5 years or so.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi