Mel's Diner - Auburn, CA

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
JimsHot66

Mel's Diner - Auburn, CA

Post by JimsHot66 »

The local Mel's Diner has a cruise night every Wednesday. This beast showed up last night. Too bad the guy "doesn't do computers".
It's got a 363 putting out +500HP, Tremec 5 speed, and a 377 rear end. Note the tube front axle and lack of shock towers. He says it rides like a truck and I believe him. :)

Jim

SASSY

Re: Mel's Diner - Auburn, CA

Post by SASSY »

Cool, did you happen to notice what the inlay down the side is?
Maybe stock with a different finish?
Pretty decent ride height for a straight axle, well lower than the 1/2 ton anyway,, lol
On a second look I see an old school master brake cylinder with what looks like 2 lines out of it,,? Been a while since I seen one are they 1 or 2 lines out?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

SASSY wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:49 am
Cool, did you happen to notice what the inlay down the side is?
Maybe stock with a different finish?
Pretty decent ride height for a straight axle, well lower than the 1/2 ton anyway,, lol
On a second look I see an old school master brake cylinder with what looks like 2 lines out of it,,? Been a while since I seen one are they 1 or 2 lines out?
I didn't really pay attention to the inlay but it was shiny "chrome", not painted, probably stock.

I did notice the brakes! Had front disks with the single reservoir master cylinder...seems kinda scary to me. Looks like 2 lines out.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I did notice the brakes! Had front disks with the single reservoir master cylinder...seems kinda scary to me. Looks like 2 lines out.

Jim
[/quote]

That master cylinder is the same as was used in early Shelby GT350’s that used the Kelsey/Hayes calipers. I had one on my Comet back in the ‘70’s when I had the Boss 302 calipers on the front. It is high volume but nowhere as safe as a dual master that is common place today. I would not (and do not) run one in todays world.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Back in '70s, local Ford racer's son ran a straight axle and a 460 Lincoln in his black '68 Mustang coupe. I drove a black '68 Mustang coupe as well, but stock suspension and a hot 289. Had a lot of fun monkeying w/ him one day when I caught him in my rearview mirror, driving down a long winding road. He never passed me :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Jim

That master cylinder is the same as was used in early Shelby GT350’s that used the Kelsey/Hayes calipers. I had one on my Comet back in the ‘70’s when I had the Boss 302 calipers on the front. It is high volume but nowhere as safe as a dual master that is common place today. I would not (and do not) run one in todays world.
Jim
I'm with you on that Jim. it's a really bad feeling to push on pedal & it go to the floor,& the emergency brake dont work,or you are so pumped with adrenaline after pumping the pedal 7-8 times that you pull or stomp so hard that you break the emergency brake cable. IMO a dual mc was the second smartest thing ever put on a car. But I do understand the originality thing for show cars or rare cars .

I read an article about chrome straight axles could break because of the chrome. was a chemical reaction or something . Seems like they called it hydrogen embrittlement ? or something.
anybody else ever heard any thing like that?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Use early Econoline axle if you have to have one.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:51 pm
A/FX wrote:

Jim

Jim

I'm with you on that Jim. it's a really bad feeling to push on pedal & it go to the floor,& the emergency brake dont work,or you are so pumped with adrenaline after pumping the pedal 7-8 times that you pull or stomp so hard that you break the emergency brake cable. IMO a dual mc was the second smartest thing ever put on a car. But I do understand the originality thing for show cars or rare cars .

I read an article about chrome straight axles could break because of the chrome. was a chemical reaction or something . Seems like they called it hydrogen embrittlement ? or something.
anybody else ever heard any thing like that?
Johno,
Using the parking brake if your brake system fails is at least an option if you have a parking brake. I have gone to great lengths to have an operable parking brake in the cars I have built. Some of my friends who have built numerous cars refuse to include a working P brake in their build, I don’t understand their thinking.
As for Hydrogen Embrittlement, it is real. I have not experienced breakage of a chrome part but I did have the chromed front coil springs in my Comet sag in the first few miles back in ‘75. This time around all my suspension parts are painted or powder coated so I do not expect any issues. There are chrome shops who have the capability and knowledge to chrome parts and not experience Hydrogen Embrittlement. If I were to have a critical part chromed I would have a discussion with the shop before going ahead with the process.
Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Last night they had me park on the platform at Mel's. This is literally a platform where Mel's yellow hotrod usually parks and is very visible from the highway. The Comet, representing!

Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:

Jim
That is not the same master cylinder used with Kelsey Hayes calipers. My 66 fastback is a GT and has factory Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. The master cylinder is a little bigger and cap clips on. The one is the picture is a drum brake master cylinder with screw on lid.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:22 am
A/FX wrote:

Jim
That is not the same master cylinder used with Kelsey Hayes calipers. My 66 fastback is a GT and has factory Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. The master cylinder is a little bigger and cap clips on. The one is the picture is a drum brake master cylinder with screw on lid.
I looked back on a picture of my Comet from 1975 and I did have the KH master with the two clips securing the cover, not the screw on type. It worked fine back then using the front Disc brakes from a Boss 302 Mustang and the ‘57 Ford drums that were on the 9”, today a dual reservoir master is the only way to go. ( I am using Baer disc’s at all four corners)
Jim