Not a Comet but in the family

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Not a Comet but in the family

Post by A/FX »

I attended a Ford car show at one of the local Ford dealerships yesterday. There were a *hit load of Mustangs and a variety of other Ford powered vehicles, there was one Fairlane that really was done nice and had enough under the hood to make a statement.
I thought some of you might enjoy seeing it:

Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Re: Not a Comet but in the family

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the pics, Jim! 8)
Do you know if the Fairlane was driven to the show?
The Galaxie is no slouch, either. Both great cars!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:06 pm
Thanks for the pics, Jim! 8)
Do you know if the Fairlane was driven to the show?
The Galaxie is no slouch, either. Both great cars!

Joe
I saw him fire it up and drive away so I figured he drove it. It sound nasty except that it had a “raspy” exhaust note. (Which I dislike) it kind of had that “school bus” sound. It was very well done, complete Thunderbolt style interior, Mustang II style front suspension. It also had a six speed trans.
The Galaxy had a big block (460?) and NASCAR style exhaust with NO mufflers, it was way too loud for the street.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:54 pm
I saw him fire it up and drive away so I figured he drove it. It sound nasty except that it had a “raspy” exhaust note. (Which I dislike) it kind of had that “school bus” sound. It was very well done, complete Thunderbolt style interior, Mustang II style front suspension. It also had a six speed trans.
Cool you got to witness it. I'm surprised @ the number of street Cammers out there, looking through video archives.
I would imagine these are Jon Kasse built engines? IDK

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:38 pm
A/FX wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:54 pm
Cool you got to witness it. I'm surprised @ the number of street Cammers out there, looking through video archives.
I would imagine these are Jon Kasse built engines? IDK

Joe
I’m not sure if it was a Kasse engine, I did notice the valve (cam) covers looked to be reproduction because the fins and letters were not “crisp”.

I have seen quite a few Cammer powered cars over the years, the first one I remember was John Vermeesh’s orange ‘61 Starliner, he also had a cammer powered boat that he pulled with the ‘61.
I have seen a few street rods powered by cammers, most of them were on the West Coast.
Then there was the street dragster that a guy in Kenosha Wisconsin had, I saw that a few times. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... t-14017271
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm
Then there was the street dragster that a guy in Kenosha Wisconsin had, I saw that a few times. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... t-14017271
My jaw dropped the first time I saw a picture of that T bucket. Had no idea it was a Mid-West car, thought it was a West Coast build.

That has to be the craziest driving experience ever made.
Need a nitroglycerine tablet under your tongue to drive it!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:14 pm
A/FX wrote:
My jaw dropped the first time I saw a picture of that T bucket. Had no idea it was a Mid-West car, thought it was a West Coast build.

That has to be the craziest driving experience ever made.
Need a nitroglycerine tablet under your tongue to drive it!

Joe
Actually there were a few of them built by a West Coast shop. The Kenosha car may still be in this area but no one I know has seen it in years. The thread that that post is from is all about cars from this area, some of them are very cool.
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:

I have seen quite a few Cammer powered cars over the years, the first one I remember was John Vermeesh’s orange ‘61 Starliner, he also had a cammer powered boat that he pulled with the ‘61.
I have seen a few street rods powered by cammers, most of them were on the West Coast.
Jim
I have seen that starliner many times. Back in the mid ninties I was building a 302 powered bronco II and went to Total Performance to buy the swap parts. Vermeesh owned the business and his orange cammer starliner was there. He tried to sell me a black 63.5 r code galaxie that was really rough and missing its drive train, I passed.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry