Dr. Simeon

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Dr. Simeon

Post by A/FX »

Although not Comet related Dr. Simeon was a very well known car person and was responsible for the development of legendary Simeon Foundation Museum. (Home of one of the six Daytona Coupes).
RIP.

https://simeonemuseum.org/uncategorized ... -our-hero/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Re: Dr. Simeon

Post by Joe Travers »

Wow.....he passed @ LeMans. RIP

Didn't he own some of the cars in the Shelby museum as well, Jim?
I'm thinking GT-40 but may be wrong on this.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 pm
Wow.....he passed @ LeMans. RIP

Didn't he own some of the cars in the Shelby museum as well, Jim?
I'm thinking GT-40 but may be wrong on this.

Joe
Not sure Joe,
I would think if he owned anything it would be in his museum but I could be wrong. I have watched a couple of interviews of him, he seemed very down to earth. He was a retired neurosurgeon who obviously had an impeccable taste in cars.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:20 pm
Not sure Joe,
I would think if he owned anything it would be in his museum but I could be wrong. I have watched a couple of interviews of him, he seemed very down to earth. He was a retired neurosurgeon who obviously had an impeccable taste in cars.
I think you're correct, Jim. Was thinking of the Miller Family Automotive Collection. They own and loan the majority of the Shelby collection to the museum in Boulder, Co. I think this is very hip & thoughtful, to have demos of your collection for the public when warming up the fluids to keep them from seizing up over time- https://simeonemuseum.org/video/they-we ... ona-coupe/

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:33 am
A/FX wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:20 pm
Not sure Joe,
I think you're correct, Jim. Was thinking of the Miller Family Automotive Collection. They own and loan the majority of the Shelby collection to the museum in Boulder, Co. I think this is very hip & thoughtful, to have demos of your collection for the public when warming up the fluids to keep them from seizing up over time- https://simeonemuseum.org/video/they-we ... ona-coupe/

Joe

There are a number of automotive museums on my “have to visit” list, the Shelby Museum in Boulder is one of them. I have been to some of the more popular multiple times like the Peterson, Auburn, Barber, but there are quite a few I want to visit in the future including the Simeone. I feel fortunate to have seen a couple of the Daytona Coupes in the flesh including the Super Coupe many years ago at Road America.
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

This Friday here in Michigan M1 eye on design is honoring Peter Brock, he and several original Daytona coupes will be attending including one I have seen a few times owned by a local guy in my local Shelby club (SAAC-MCR) which I have been a member of since 87. Jack Roush is the honorary chairman of the event. I was planning on attending but my oldest daugther is getting married next weekend.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

The Daytona coupe in the Simeon collection has a strange and sad story behind it https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... a-feature/
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:33 am
The Daytona coupe in the Simeon collection has a strange and sad story behind it https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... a-feature/
I read this story a few years ago but didn't know the car in question was a Daytona coupe.

A lot of strange stories followed Phil Spector. He wasn't a person to be taken lightly.
The lady had good reason to be concerned. Yes, very sad story for all involved.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

What an incredible story!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Here is a picture from last Sunday here in Michigan. Peter Brock explaining the rear spoiler on the Daytona coupe.
Attachments
brock.jpg
brock.jpg (150.91 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:08 pm
Here is a picture from last Sunday here in Michigan. Peter Brock explaining the rear spoiler on the Daytona coupe.
Was that the Eyes on Design event? Daytona Coupes are one of my all time favorites. I would really like to own one of Mr. Brock’s other designs, the Aerovault trailer. https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Brock's story on that car is fascinating, to say the least. He tells of searching through German aerodynamic engineering records confiscated after WWII by the US Army. Hitler used high-speed race designs as propaganda tools to win races in all international events. The history is very bizarre, culminating in the Mercedes-Benz T80 to set the all-time land speed record. I see someone is releasing a documentary on this in a few days here, if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLckXW ... SeaStudios

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Met Peter in 2014 with rcmike (an inactice member here now) at the the Peterson Museum with the introduction of the new 350Z and a couple of Prototype Nissans.
I was in the parkcade most of the time looking at all the cool Fords that showed up, GT40s, Daytonas and a red 64 Caliente etc. Ya probably kit cars but hey don't ruin my memories!! Lol
I have a pic somewhere of Mike and Pete together.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Was that the Eyes on Design event? Daytona Coupes are one of my all time favorites. I would really like to own one of Mr. Brock’s other designs, the Aerovault trailer. https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/
Jim
Yes, they also had these cars that he designed, C2 corvette, De Tomaso P70, and of course the Daytona coupe along with other cars he designed.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:53 am
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Brock's story on that car is fascinating, to say the least. He tells of searching through German aerodynamic engineering records confiscated after WWII by the US Army. Hitler used high-speed race designs as propaganda tools to win races in all international events. The history is very bizarre, culminating in the Mercedes-Benz T80 to set the all-time land speed record. I see someone is releasing a documentary on this in a few days here, if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLckXW ... SeaStudios

Joe
That is very interesting history, I had not heard about that before.
Larry