Road Trip

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Caveman49

Re: Road Trip

Post by Caveman49 »

I hear you, love the tunes from a sweet sounding motor! But, personally I like my jams, and when I get the 66 back on the road it’ll have a setup with the ipod for sure, probably have some kind of ear bud in my ear 😄
Early 70s I had a 66 Chevelle with a LS6, and a rock crusher, had a Mr. Gasket vertical gate, loved that shifter, lot of street racing going on then.
Still gotta say, you have a fine ride!
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Left home this morning and drove 360 miles to DesMoines. The Comet did well, the only issue was the idle gained a few hundred RPM for some reason, a quick adjustment fixed it. The weather was in the high 80’s, low 90’s, the Comet ran at 175 most of the day and hit 180 in DesMoines traffic.
I am traveling with four other cars, a ‘32 Ford Phaeton ( he had thermostat issues) a ‘33 Ford Roadster, a 34 Ford Roadster, and a ‘46 Ford convertible. All of the cars (except mine) are running some sort of GM power, so I keep my distance!
I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:34 pm
Left home this morning and drove 360 miles to DesMoines. The Comet did well, the only issue was the idle gained a few hundred RPM for some reason, a quick adjustment fixed it. The weather was in the high 80’s, low 90’s, the Comet ran at 175 most of the day and hit 180 in DesMoines traffic.
I am traveling with four other cars, a ‘32 Ford Phaeton ( he had thermostat issues) a ‘33 Ford Roadster, a 34 Ford Roadster, and a ‘46 Ford convertible. All of the cars (except mine) are running some sort of GM power, so I keep my distance!
Fuel related, more than likely.

Biting my tongue on the GM thermostat reference. Don't want to jinx my current project :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I hope you all have a safe & pleasurable trip. dont forget to take plenty of pics even if you wait till you get home to post them! :D
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The weather today in DesMoines was not conducive for a car show. It rained from about 10am to 2:30 pm, not heavy rain but just enough keep the cars wet. I did not have to drive in the wet so at least the bottom of the Comet is relatively clean, I dried off the body at least four times between the drops.
I will try to get a few pictures tomorrow, so far the weather forecast is favorable.
There was a ‘65 A/FX Comet on display in the building, I believe this is the car that was recently offered by Mecum. There were some pieces of documentation indicating it was real and not a clone.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Yeah, that's the Bill Stroppe car that was @ auction.
Cool you got to see it. Hope the weather gets better before the trip home.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The day was much better at the event today, sunny and warm. I did not take many pictures but here are a few that some of you might like. I saw a few Comets, a ‘63, couple of ‘64’s and a ‘65, the only other Cyclone was a red ‘66. I did see one of my favorites, a ‘64 Colony Park station wagon. It was very nice, slightly modified, and very straight. Three of the five cars in my group will be heading back to Wisconsin in the morning,( me included) two of the cars are headed to Columbus Ohio for next weekends GoodGuys Nationals. From there they are driving to California for the Hall of Fame tour to Oregon, then back to Wisconsin. Too much windshield time for me, besides I have to get back home and prepare one of my Messerschmitt’s for a Concours in Lexington Kentucky in two weeks. It’s kind of a busy month for car related events.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Great pics ! thanks for sharing & the trip updates! have fun! :D
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I like that wagon, but I prefer 62's. I tried to buy this one back about 10 years ago in Minnesota. Unfortunately someone beat me to it. I kept a picture because I liked it so much.
Attachments
1962commutercopperandchampaign.jpg
1962commutercopperandchampaign.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Great pics Jim, thanks for sharing. Have a safe and enjoyable trip home, happy fourth to all!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:59 am
I like that wagon, but I prefer 62's. I tried to buy this one back about 10 years ago in Minnesota. Unfortunately someone beat me to it. I kept a picture because I liked it so much.
The Merc wagon is cool but I have a soft spot for '62 Galaxie myself. That one is a little too 'glam' for me. I like white w/ red interior & poverty hubcaps. FE w/ overdrive on the column & glasspacks 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Well I'm not a poverty hub cap guy, lol. I can appreciate that look but it is not for me. :P
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:58 pm
Well I'm not a poverty hub cap guy, lol. I can appreciate that look but it is not for me. :P
Okay, I can get a little crazy. How about chrome reverse wheels :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop