Cyclones at Mecum

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lou's Comet

Cyclones at Mecum

Post by Lou's Comet »

Couple Cyclones listed for Mecum in Harrisburg. They are Both from same owner.

The 65
https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0722-52920 ... t-cyclone/

And a 66
https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0722-51813 ... yclone-gt/

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Cyclones at Mecum

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Don't like the 65's interior. Both look like nice cars but I personally not a fan of the rim choices
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Very nice cars, I to am not a fan of the rims. To me, the stance on the 66 is to high. Will be interesting to see what they sell for.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 am
Don't like the 65's interior. Both look like nice cars but I personally not a fan of the rim choices
Concur on both statements. Black dash clashes w/ everything.
Wheels belong on a bagged Chevy Caprice :roll: There, I said it :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm with you guys about the interior & rims. if they changed the white to black & loose the cali woodgrain & black it in like a cyclone dash it would look 100% better, & loose the wagon wheels to anything 15''s.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I agree on the interior and the wagon wheels, and it needs the black camera case trim on the dash, like John said. Also, not a fan of the single polished grill row above the corral. The 66 looks like it has extended shackles on the rear. Might be so the wagon wheels will clear, but it looks like a shade tree attempt to avoid replacing/re-arcing sagging springs, IMO.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:58 pm
I agree on the interior and the wagon wheels, and it needs the black camera case trim on the dash, like John said. Also, not a fan of the single polished grill row above the corral. The 66 looks like it has extended shackles on the rear. Might be so the wagon wheels will clear, but it looks like a shade tree attempt to avoid replacing/re-arcing sagging springs, IMO.

Jim
Jim I have gotta tired of my grill with that grill row not black & also left the bottom roll unpainted. the reason that came about was I had 2-3 grills at the time. I was going to black one with spray paintin & didnt want the top of it peeling off because it's so slick & too lazy to scuff it up so I taped up & front egde. this is what you see when you opening up the hood,also if it is all blacked in with no corral or emblem it kinda gets lost & looks like no grill is in it. I taped up the bottom run to match & give it....something! & this is how I ran it at first.it was ok but needed something. before I could get the emblem on there I found a corral & nice grill on a deal I couldn't pass up.

But ever since I put the corral on there I have wanted to black the rest in, I may add that to the to do list while I have it out. this is my test grill anyway!!! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah, my current Cyclone has the complete grill blacked out, but with the chrome corral and the tri-color center bar. That's just my preference. On my first Cyclone I blacked the grill, removed the corral and polished the leading edges of the grill inside the footprint of where the corral used to be. I also blacked the headlight bezels. That looks a little too stark to me, now. Crazy what 50 years can do to your taste. :lol: :roll:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I use to think I knew what I wanted,but now I like to see it ,or a rendering,before I decide if possible. I like the way yours looks.& keep thinking that's where I'll end up because I like it so much. but I want to explore other options. I have a nice grill & another corral that is pretty ruff with pits. I may hit the corral with some black plastidip & put it on the grill with edges polished, like a negative , reversed copy of yours just to see how it looks. If I dont like it I can peel off the plastidip black. I've also thought about keeping a satin black grill with a shiny black painted corral. If I do I'll get pics. it'll be awhile too much life in the way.lol
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:45 pm
I had to do a double-take here, Jim. Almost identical to my old '65 Cyclone.
Same stance, color and blacked-out grille w/ polished center but I had the corral & emblem. Didn't black out the bezels.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I loved that car. Painted it Electric Blue (a medium blue metallic I saw on a 68 Plymouth Satellite and fell in love with). It was built to go, too. Wish I had that car now.....Ah, to be 18 again. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 am
I loved that car. Painted it Electric Blue (a medium blue metallic I saw on a 68 Plymouth Satellite and fell in love with). It was built to go, too. Wish I had that car now.....Ah, to be 18 again. :lol: :lol: :roll:
The photo is original Metallic Ocean Turquoise, yes?
Nice mill :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:20 pm
The photo is original Metallic Ocean Turquoise, yes?
Nice mill :D

Joe
My Dad order an ocean turquoise 65 Cyclone brand new. Here is a picture of him holding me in the Summer of 1969. I don't think we will be recreating this photo.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:10 pm
My Dad order an ocean turquoise 65 Cyclone brand new. Here is a picture of him holding me in the Summer of 1969. I don't think we will be recreating this photo.
Like your Pop & Jim, most owners re-painted another color. The caretaker that restored my car re-painted it factory color.
If anyone runs across one, please let me know. I would like to know where it currently resides, if still kicking. It was originally a 3-speed car but was converted to 4-speed. Last seen in Alexandria, La. in the '90s.

Thanks

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:10 pm
Like your Pop & Jim, most owners re-painted another color. The caretaker that restored my car re-painted it factory color.
If anyone runs across one, please let me know. I would like to know where it currently resides, if it's not an imposition. It was originally a 'A' code 3-speed car but was converted to 4-speed. Last seen in Alexandria, La. in the '90s.

Thanks

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop