Pic Posting

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Pic Posting

Post by poboyjo65 »

editing in a link to a good thread on how to post pics,it's the best way,& doesn't use bandwidth / forum space;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011&p=97301&hilit ... ead#p97301

We were running out of space,bandwidth,what ever it's called so Lori had to delete some of Mikes old pics from 2017-18 from the forums pic posting service chevereto to make more space . unfortunately I think all of the pics from there were lost of that time frame. I've noticed Mikes & Groovers (2017-2018) as well Fred lost over 500 & I lost a few too ,so most likely everyone's from that era are lost.I also noticed a few sigpics,like Pop's,Roy's & Ron's are gone (Mike had did those & may have helped other guys with their sigpics), so if your sigpic is gone that's what happened.
So I asked her if there is a way to turn off being able to upload new pics to chevereto accounts so we dont loose any more old pics & use a different host like postimage. This is how it use to be several years ago,,, but back then most of us used photobucket before they got greedy & started charging. Now lots of us use postimage which is what I primarily used because you dont have to resize your pics . In fact postimage will automatically resize them to the size you choose for each of your pics after you set it to the size you want.

So if everyone would voluntarily stop using the attachment button & the chevereto accounts (until she can turn it off without turning too much off) & we could use postimage or another host to post pics. this will save room & hopefully help save old pics that are a pain to insert back in build threads & probably never will get reinserted into certain helpful threads that are not nearly as helpful without the pics. Pics= 1000 words ea or more ! Like pics from people who are no longer with us will be lost if we keep tearing away the past for the future so if we stop using forum space & use a pic host we help save the old pics! :D
Johno

Groover

Re: Pic Posting

Post by Groover »

Hey John,

Does adding our photos in the signature count as posting a photo every time? If so we could certainly all do without the photo signature, right?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:44 am
Hey John,

Does adding our photos in the signature count as posting a photo every time? If so we could certainly all do without the photo signature, right?
Wrong we all love the sigpics!!!! :P :P it's like a face on the words & helps separate who said what at a glance.
just use a link from postimage or another host on any new ones. the chevereto pic accounts, if you set up a personal account they're are tied in with the forum I think somehow,I think Mike said that back when he set it up. & If we just stop using that & stop using the forums attachment button when posting (which my pics were always too big that's why I didnt use it much) & use a host like postimage for sigpics & everthing in the future . But I'm not saying take down ANY pics ,if someone is using it for a sigpic dont change it,but rather if you do change it later on use a host next time.or if you upload new pics for build threads or other threads use a host . Hopefully if we stop using the forums attachment & the chevereto accounts it might save guys from loosing anymore old pics, some very helpful & some cherished pics .
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully we can save all this valuable info posted here over the years.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Not sure you answered the question. I think I can answer it by observing how the board works...your sig pic comes from the address of your stored sig pic; it doesn't take a new copy of your sig pic and put it on the server. You can tell this by changing your sig pic - the sig pic that shows up on all your posts will change to the new sig pic, so it must just be the address where it can find your sig pic.

Can't Comet Central simply get more server space? Nowadays hard drive space is cheap.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:52 pm
Not sure you answered the question. I think I can answer it by observing how the board works...your sig pic comes from the address of your stored sig pic; it doesn't take a new copy of your sig pic and put it on the server. You can tell this by changing your sig pic - the sig pic that shows up on all your posts will change to the new sig pic, so it must just be the address where it can find your sig pic.

Can't Comet Central simply get more server space? Nowadays hard drive space is cheap.
You are correct on your understanding of sig pics and your description is very good. On the cost of space, define cheap. It cost me almost $500 a year just to keep this forum up and running as currently setup. I have had a few of the members reach out offering to pay, but as of now I don't want anybody to send money. When and if I ever retire from my day job then we can figure out something to keep the site going. This site is not monetized like many other forums, Mike, and now me, don't want the site bogged down with ads and trackers.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

...and may I add what a breath of fresh air it is to not have advertisements! I did not know that you personally pay for and administrate this site. I appreciate that you do not force others to provide server financial support, but I do wonder why you don't allow it.

Thank you and have a great day!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 am
but I do wonder why you don't allow it.

Thank you and have a great day!
I'm weird I guess, lol. No really I just love having a place where everyone can come talk about anything Comet or not Comet related and I don't want anyone to feel like they need to pay if money is tight. If I need financial help I will ask for some small donations and keep it transparent as possible as I don't want anyone to feel like I'm trying to make money on this great source of information.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I see you live fairly close to me. I'm in Ida. Are there any shows near where we live?

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:27 pm
I see you live fairly close to me. I'm in Ida. Are there any shows near where we live?
My oldest Daughter lives in Petersburg. I went to a show today at Brondes Ford Maumee, Ohio. Have a few coming up and something almost every day of the week of Woodward.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Ah, the huge metropolis of Petersburg! I'm a member of the VFW there, BTW. The Monroe cruisers meet up at the Blue Streak here in Ida every Wednesday from about 5 to 8, or so. Walk up there every once in a while. No Comets, but you could change that - or I could if I could get mine going!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:32 pm
Ah, the huge metropolis of Petersburg! I'm a member of the VFW there, BTW. The Monroe cruisers meet up at the Blue Streak here in Ida every Wednesday from about 5 to 8, or so. Walk up there every once in a while. No Comets, but you could change that - or I could if I could get mine going!
I will try to bring my Cyclone over there some Wednesday. Google says its a 52 minute drive.
Larry

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Yeah! I was hoping you'd say something like that! Let me know so I can make sure I don't miss that week!

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Small world. I am from (and still live in) La Salle and went to Ida schools.
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Rootsy wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:05 pm
Small world. I am from (and still live in) La Salle and went to Ida schools.
Cool, we should all get together at one of these cruises someday.
Larry