Cross breed

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
fryedaddy

Re: Cross breed

Post by fryedaddy »

i believe it was a case of needing serviced and upgraded.if you notice even when he gets on it it dont sound like its running very good.i believe he got it out of storage and made the video without making sure everything was ok.it even had a sticky throttle.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

There was something I noticed that dont add up. early in the video it shows a shot zooming in close to the brake rotors & they look like pads were wore down to the metal & ran a while to get the lines in the rotor like it has. YET when the guy says he smelled brakes the driver said yea I just turned the rotors,,,,,& I been riding them. but earlier it was said the car hadn't ever been driven much. If the car hadn't been driven much why did they need turning? & its hard to believe by looking at them that they have been turned.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

He could have fit a larger rotor inside that wheel. I was thinking about the video and the comments the owner made before the crash. If there is a lawsuit filed by the mini van or anyone else involved in the incident those comments will bury that guy. The video is public so I am sure the legal guys have already seen it. Bad situation all the way around.
I found the biggest rotor/caliper that would fit in my 15” front wheels.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:07 pm
There was something I noticed that dont add up. early in the video it shows a shot zooming in close to the brake rotors & they look like pads were wore down to the metal & ran a while to get the lines in the rotor like it has. YET when the guy says he smelled brakes the driver said yea I just turned the rotors,,,,,& I been riding them. but earlier it was said the car hadn't ever been driven much. If the car hadn't been driven much why did they need turning? & its hard to believe by looking at them that they have been turned.
$200k with brakes looking like that…you’re right Johnnie something ain’t adding up :?
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Two things that struck me (on top of everything mentioned)...
He only had liability insurance on a +$200k car (or did I hear that wrong)!?
Stuff like this happens when you least expect it (nice mellow drive on a three lane road).

Buckle up! :)
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:07 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:07 pm
$200k with brakes looking like that…you’re right Johnnie something ain’t adding up :?
right ! looks like about a 9'' disc,cant be bigger that 10. mine is 11'' & they look way smaller than mine in relation to the lug pattern which should be the same as mine. after seeing that crash I want some bigger ones like your racecar has, the overgrown kelsey hayes type what are they Joe,torinos? they'd go good with my rear bus drums as you called them! :lol: (they are actually crown vic drums with truck brakes)

JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:25 am
Two things that struck me (on top of everything mentioned)...
He only had liability insurance on a +$200k car (or did I hear that wrong)!?
Stuff like this happens when you least expect it (nice mellow drive on a three lane road).

Buckle up! :)
Jim
yes he said that,either in the video or the comments. yea nice 3 lane road with lots of redlights! & he kept romping on it after smelling the brakes & after he said he had been riding them. :roll: They should have never published the video even if he has reached a settlement with others, gives the hotrod world a blackeye,,,& some teeth knocked out too. JMO ! ! !
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

makes me feel very lucky.i have been using factory drum brakes on my comet for 40 years,now with a little bit of horses its more dangerous than ever.i have had brake failure 2 or 3 times in it over the years.i was in his situation once but i was only going 35 or 40.i turned the wheel and done a 360 and got stopped short of the cars stopped ahead of me.thank the lord i got out of that one.a school bus had turned left at a stop light in front of oncoming traffic,and we had to stop at a green light.i have some torino front spindles i could switch out,i dont know if that will be much of a upgrade or not.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:44 pm
right ! looks like about a 9'' disc,cant be bigger that 10. mine is 11'' & they look way smaller than mine in relation to the lug pattern which should be the same as mine. after seeing that crash I want some bigger ones like your racecar has, the overgrown kelsey hayes type what are they Joe,torinos? they'd go good with my rear bus drums as you called them! :lol:
Hey Johnnie the front brakes on my Falcon are 67/68 Thunderbird/Lincoln. You can get the calipers pretty cheap on Rock Auto or any other parts source but the challenge is getting them mounted to our cars. The caliper bracket is a special deal and you have to use the larger spindles from a 69/70 Mustang. some guys have pieced them together with success. I was up to the challenge but got lazy in the end and just bought the kit from Street or Track.
I was thinking maybe the stock thunderbird bracket could be modified somehow to work.
With Porterfield R4 carbon Kevlar pads (and shoes out back) the car slows with authority down from 125 into the slow corners over and over.

They just clear the 15 inch Americans :D

1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Interesting article that was posted in a Hagerty newsletter this week. Lot's of comments at the end.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/this ... 7b31269353

Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:46 am
Interesting article that was posted in a Hagerty newsletter this week. Lot's of comments at the end.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/this ... 7b31269353

Jim
Many times it's mentioned to "shut off the car". To me, that wouldn't even be a thought, considering I'd lose power steering, along with the presumed lost brakes. Past experience... when I was a kid driving my Dads 1975 El Dorado down a winding country road, the engine died. Luckily I was able to stop before going off the road because there was no way I could steer that thing. :lol:

Would shutting of the engine really slow the car that much?

Jim <- first upgrade was replacing single reservoir drum brakes with dual reservoir, front disks