This year has been a struggle!!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

This year has been a struggle!!

Post by SASSY »

Seems as though everytime I drive Sassy something else crops up.
I have had an ongoing struggle to find the source of an oil leak.
The front of the motor has enough belts, bearings, brackets, blower etc, course the noisey one is unobtainium.
The other day drove it vibrated like a wheel was coming off but no,,,?
Today hard start, it's like the ignition is firing way too soon but when it does start, runs perfect cept backfires on deceleration which it never did before. Oh ya no vibration today either,,,. I still have a decent head of hair OR I'D BE BALD!!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Re: This year has been a struggle!!

Post by poboyjo65 »

sometimes it's good to mull it over a while. probably crappy gas. does it have a harmonic balancer like old ones that could slip?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks for the input Johno.
This motor does have a reputation for bad balancers and it is crank triggered, I'll check it over.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So after my little poor me post I received some good news and purchased an unobtainium bearing!
The bracket in the picture is mounted to the right front of the engine and carries the AC compressor, a couple of belt tensioners and most importantly the jackshaft bearing.
The nos bearing in the plastic bag has been out of production for years and came from a member of another forum I frequent,,, thank God for the internet! Basically a water pump style 2 bearings on a shaft. The pulleys mounted to it receive the supercharger drive belt from the crank and the belt to the charger so they get lots of load!
So one problem down.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ok you said some words,all over my head .lol which problem did it fix? vibration?
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Dang glad you got part of it figured out!
Im chasing leaks on the Comet too- front and rear mains and the speedo cable :roll:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 am
Ok you said some words,all over my head .lol which problem did it fix? vibration?
Doubt if it's the causr of ths vibration but the old bearing was sure getting noisy.
The arrow is pointing to the jack shaft pulleys that are mounted on the bearing in the bag. If you look closely you can see a belt up from the crank to those pulleys then a second belt up to the supercharger.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'll take you word for it,I'm getting a brain fart just tryin to follow those belts, but did you have to pull the motor or is that just an old pic for my viewing pleasure?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:47 am
I'll take you word for it,I'm getting a brain fart just tryin to follow those belts, but did you have to pull the motor or is that just an old pic for my viewing pleasure?
Your viewing pleasure. Pic is oct/13

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You're okay in my book, Fred. Any year would be a struggle for me if I had to wrench on your engine :)
I get a headache just thinking about it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:09 am
You're okay in my book, Fred. Any year would be a struggle for me if I had to wrench on your engine :)
I get a headache just thinking about it.

Joe
Joe you shoulda seen all the wires on there before he hid them. I cant imagine how /what he did with all the vacuum lines. guys like Fred amaze me! :P
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:04 am
Joe you shoulda seen all the wires on there before he hid them. I cant imagine how /what he did with all the vacuum lines. guys like Fred amaze me! :P
Heck, I pulled the A/C because I was tired of looking @ hoses and digging for wires. :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi