Winter Comet Projects

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Joe Travers

Re: Winter Comet Projects

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:59 pm
I dont have room to slide around much. I haven't actually worked on them yet but i did lay down & think about it & it seemed to ease the pain so that's what I'm after. but I never have been able to move much in there.Too Fat ! & too old & stiff :roll: it's work on one side or walk around & do the other for me. but before with the tunnel hump & mostly the front seat riser hump then subframe connector behind that ,& rocker,,,, all different levels gets my back & hip aching if I lay there very long,the foam seems to help flatten it all out so I can lay in a less awkward position for more extended times without punishment.
I'm 6'-2", 185 lbs. I use this- Image

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

after AfxJim mentioned the sliding ,instead of a blanket or plastic thrown over the foam I decided to put some trash bags on them. also I said these were 6'' but I meant 4 '' thick foam,but perfect tight fit. But still got some little aches from my little session last night. so I'll just whittle at it, little here ,little there. keep the aches small, & easier to recoup.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:03 pm
after AfxJim mentioned the sliding ,instead of a blanket or plastic thrown over the foam I decided to put some trash bags on them. also I said these were 6'' but I meant 4 '' thick foam,but perfect tight fit. But still got some little aches from my little session last night. so I'll just whittle at it, little here ,little there. keep the aches small, & easier to recoup.
Now you will have to work with the doors closed or risk sliding out of the car onto the floor!!!
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Just be sure to keep the screwdrivers out of your hip pocket. :roll:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:49 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Now you will have to work with the doors closed or risk sliding out of the car onto the floor!!!
Jim
that is an optical illusion. it dont slant like that when I lay on it! :lol: except near the tunnel & it works pretty good so far kinda smooths out all the humps & bumps.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I would love to get my car weatherproofed to drive up to PF. Hopefully I can get the trunk sealed and matted, finish the windows by then. Not concerned with mechanical issues but have to face the elements on a long trip.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lookin like an RV,, all that bedding in there! :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:40 pm
Well it is officially winter here in Wisconsin so all my toys are put away until spring. ( or until all the road salt is gone!) I have a list of items I would like to do on the Comet while it is off the road, I am changing the remote oil filter adapter and lines which involves fabricating a new header tube for clearance. I also plan to pull the transmission and clutch, I still am chasing an oil leak that might be the flywheel bolts. (Again) Of course then there is the cleaning of the undercarriage, I was under the car today and noticed that it needs some attention. I have found that raising the car and supporting it with wood tire stands (4x4’s staggered with a 1” plywood top) makes working on the car much easier. Just high enough to work under the car but not too high to work under the hood or interior.
So anyone else planning updates or maintenance on their Comets?
Jim
I have started on “the list” of items I would like to do on the Cyclone while it is off the road for the winter months. The new remote oil filter adapter and AN lines are installed, I am much more satisfied with this system over what I previously had. As I mentioned before one of my primary header tubes will not fit with the new remote adapter so I either had to modify the original tube or fabricate a new flange and tube. I decided to save the original and fab a new one. It took some thought and fitting but I was able to fab a new flange from 1/4” plate and build a new tube using 16 gauge, 2” mandrel bends. Now I have to send it to Jet Hot for coating so it will match the existing headers and oil pan. Next up is removing the transmission and clutch to find that pesky oil leak......
Jim

New tube on left, jet coated original on the right, it looks the same but actually the bends are different to allow clearance for the adapter.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

If we didn’t have oil leaks, I’d think something isn’t right 😄. I’ve been chasing a trans (C4) leak, tweaked the pan bolts slightly, seems to be a little better.

What do you guys do with fuel before winter project time? Just wondering, I filled the tank with non-ethanol, should last till the summer without issues, I hope. I do fire it up at least once a week if possible…
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:16 pm
If we didn’t have oil leaks, I’d think something isn’t right 😄. I’ve been chasing a trans (C4) leak, tweaked the pan bolts slightly, seems to be a little better.

What do you guys do with fuel before winter project time? Just wondering, I filled the tank with non-ethanol, should last till the summer without issues, I hope. I do fire it up at least once a week if possible…
Oil leaks drive me nuts! I use the best seals and gaskets available, have a great PVC system, and take every precaution when installing the parts but I’m still chasing a slight leak. I’ll eventually cure the issue.
As for fuel, I drain the tank, carbs, filter, and lines in the Comet, my other collector cars, and my motorcycles. My Aviator and my wife’s Audi get Marvel Mystery Oil in fresh fuel, a battery tender, and are started periodically during the winter, I also pump the brakes and run the trans through the gears while the car is running.
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:16 pm

I use Lube locker gaskets for my 9 inch and transmission pan gaskets. They really seal it up. I have the C6 pan gasket on my 78 F150, here is a link for the C4 gasket.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lub-llt-f0c4
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

With that beautiful shop you have Jim I can see why leaks bother you, drip pans, trays, and cardboard usually go under my stuff. I’m about to rebuild the frontend on our 2010 club car (golf cart), cardboard goes under it more for battery leakage. No we don’t golf, it’s a workhorse for hauling stuff, does good to.

Boss, I think I’ll order one of those gaskets for the C4 if it keeps leaking, thanks for the link 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:34 am
With that beautiful shop you have Jim I can see why leaks bother you, drip pans, trays, and cardboard usually go under my stuff. I’m about to rebuild the frontend on our 2010 club car (golf cart), cardboard goes under it more for battery leakage. No we don’t golf, it’s a workhorse for hauling stuff, does good to.

Boss, I think I’ll order one of those gaskets for the C4 if it keeps leaking, thanks for the link 👍
Thanks Lee,
My shop is the best investment I have ever made, I use it daily and it houses all my important possessions.
I have been looking for a nice battery operated golf cart, I told my wife it “would be for her” to run around the property with.
Jim

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

im only worried about fixing one thing on my comet this winter.i bought a clutch-brake pedal repair kit i need to put in.i bought a 4 speed,new flywheel,shifter,clutch,pp just to drive it about 5 times till my pedals gave out.bushings are so shot you can push the clutch pedal down and it and the brake pedal go more sideways than down.you can barely get it in gear.not fun to drive like that.i wish i could just put bushings in it without taking it out,but i guess i will take the whole assembly out,repair it and put it back in.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

fryedaddy wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:32 am
im only worried about fixing one thing on my comet this winter.i bought a clutch-brake pedal repair kit i need to put in.i bought a 4 speed,new flywheel,shifter,clutch,pp just to drive it about 5 times till my pedals gave out.bushings are so shot you can push the clutch pedal down and it and the brake pedal go more sideways than down.you can barely get it in gear.not fun to drive like that.i wish i could just put bushings in it without taking it out,but i guess i will take the whole assembly out,repair it and put it back in.
My pedals need re- bushed also. I got new bushings and plan on soon taking it apart, painting it and reassembly with new bushings.

You say you bought a repair kit. Is that just the bushings or does it include more?

Thanks

Lou