Winter Comet Projects

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Winter Comet Projects

Post by A/FX »

Well it is officially winter here in Wisconsin so all my toys are put away until spring. ( or until all the road salt is gone!) I have a list of items I would like to do on the Comet while it is off the road, I am changing the remote oil filter adapter and lines which involves fabricating a new header tube for clearance. I also plan to pull the transmission and clutch, I still am chasing an oil leak that might be the flywheel bolts. (Again) Of course then there is the cleaning of the undercarriage, I was under the car today and noticed that it needs some attention. I have found that raising the car and supporting it with wood tire stands (4x4’s staggered with a 1” plywood top) makes working on the car much easier. Just high enough to work under the car but not too high to work under the hood or interior.
So anyone else planning updates or maintenance on their Comets?
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Caveman49

Re: Winter Comet Projects

Post by Caveman49 »

Man Jim, that’s one sweet garage! You definitely have some fine rides too.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get busy on our 66 Comet through the winter months, although they’re not that bad here in Alabama. I’ve a new suspension for the front, new leaf springs for the back, all new Bilstein shocks, everything needs me to get off my 4th point of contact (ass) and do it. Been busy with soooooo many other projects, retirement is great 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I plan on pulling the cleveland and checking it out. Started running rough and with very little power this Fall. I think I ate a cam lobe. It is a big lift mechanical cam that I put in back in the 80's. I'll take it apart, inspect it and make a plan.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I agree that winter is here in Wisconsin. We had 6 degree wind chill today. I'm going to due some electrical upgrades to my car. I need to add a two pole pressure switch in the AC system for the electric radiator fan. My after market AC system came with single pole pressure switch to control the compressor. My fan doesn't come on till the temperature is at 180 degrees and if I turn the AC on when I start the car I end up with very high pressure in the AC system, so I need a switch to turn on the fan when you turn on the AC. I am also going to install a oil pressure switch and relay to control the electric fuel pump. So if the engine quits the fuel pump quits. I do have a crash switch wired in the fuel pump circuit now. Stay warm :D
Tom
tomb's 65

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

tomb22 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:02 pm
I agree that winter is here in Wisconsin. We had 6 degree wind chill today. I'm going to due some electrical upgrades to my car. I need to add a two pole pressure switch in the AC system for the electric radiator fan. My after market AC system came with single pole pressure switch to control the compressor. My fan doesn't come on till the temperature is at 180 degrees and if I turn the AC on when I start the car I end up with very high pressure in the AC system, so I need a switch to turn on the fan when you turn on the AC. I am also going to install a oil pressure switch and relay to control the electric fuel pump. So if the engine quits the fuel pump quits. I do have a crash switch wired in the fuel pump circuit now. Stay warm :D
Tom
The wind was bad here today also, I think the temp topped out a 26!
An oil pressure switch for the fuel pump is a good idea. I have my pump wired that way, pressure switch, relay, and a push pull switch below the dash.
I also run a high volume mechanical pump on the the engine.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Already posted this pic elsewhere but basically trying to seal up the motor of a couple leaks, solve my harmonic balancer problem and get it back to its happy place. Haven't really done anything on the motor since 2013 when I installed the rebuilt long block drove it around the valley a bit and took off January 1 to California with the camper in tow for several months.
Keep saying gonna put a stereo in it so ya I'll say it again, gonna put a stereo in it,,lol

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I have a list of winter garage projects, too, but they're for the garage itself. I hope to have the electrical roughed in and inspected by Christmas, insulation and sheetrock in January and finished up and moved in by spring. By then I'll be wanting to drive the Comet rather than tearing it apart, so my real project work on the car probably won't get started in earnest until next fall. :roll:

By the way, Jim, is that a Messerschmitt roosting in your rafters?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

By the way, Jim, is that a Messerschmitt roosting in your rafters?

Jim
[/quote]

Actually it is the front half of one. It was what was left from a car that burned. There is also one under the cover on the small lift on the RH. Side of the picture, and another one in another area of the shop. They are another one of my interests, I have restored quite a few of them.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Cool! What's under the 4-post?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:43 am
Cool! What's under the 4-post?

Jim
1937 Fiat Topolino. It belongs to a client from Tennessee, I am doing a complete mechanical restoration and leaving the body with patina. One of the few that were not cut up for drag racing.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Should be able to get to the leaf springs & possibly Traction Masters in January, if we can catch a mild day or two in my buddies' shop. I never got a straight answer from TM via email on the '63 app, so we may end up making a pair that will fit. I'm not too hip on single sheer plane of the original design. If it was good enough for Shelby, I reckon it'll work.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Been trying to get the gumption to get back under the dash & finish insulating the firewall,wiring ,etc, found some 6'' thick foam for my old self. it aint much to look at but it sure does change the feel of laying across this humpy a-- floorboard :D

Maybe seeing some of you guys working on em' will help motorvate me! 8)

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:07 pm
Been trying to get the gumption to get back under the dash & finish insulating the firewall,wiring ,etc, found some 6'' thick foam for my old self. it aint much to look at but it sure does change the feel of laying across this humpy a-- floorboard :D

Maybe seeing some of you guys working on em' will help motorvate me! 8)

I will have to post some pictures when I begin my winter list to help your motivation. The foam looks like it will help but I would think it would be difficult to slide around on. I have some cheap furniture pads from Harbor Freight that I double up and lay on the floor after I remove the seats. An LED light also works well because it does not generate enough heat to burn anything.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

John, it looks like you got a pillow in there with that 6" foam. You ain't never gonna get anything done crawling in there and going to sleep all the time. :lol:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont have room to slide around much. I haven't actually worked on them yet but i did lay down & think about it & it seemed to ease the pain so that's what I'm after. but I never have been able to move much in there.Too Fat ! & too old & stiff :roll: it's work on one side or walk around & do the other for me. but before with the tunnel hump & mostly the front seat riser hump then subframe connector behind that ,& rocker,,,, all different levels gets my back & hip aching if I lay there very long,the foam seems to help flatten it all out so I can lay in a less awkward position for more extended times without punishment.

Jim yea I've had that pillow made for a year or 2 ,just tape around packing foam rolled up. helps the old neck.but worth its weight in gold.but it dont weigh much. yea I try to go inside for the longer naps most of the time. :roll:
Johno