Hipo??

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Hipo??

Post by SASSY »

Can someone post some tell tale signs of a hipo in a 64?
A fellow bought a 64 that has been sitting for many years and was told it's a hipo.
I said most likely a 210hp but I couldn't give him any info to rule out a hipo.
Any info appreciated.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Re: Hipo??

Post by comethead »

9 inch rear. Toploader 4 speed.
Quick visual on the engine- no vacuum advance can on the distributer. Probably manual choke. Pull the valve covers should have screw in studs.
Could have a K in the fifth VIN digit. Or a D I believe.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I believe you’re right Fred, 210hp. Jim (A/FX) knows more about these cars, maybe he’ll chime in.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

The only 64 that I have seen in person that I believe was legit had a D code in the vin, export brace and like mentioned above 9 inch rear. My 64 Cyclone has a "K" code in the vin but is not a hipo. My 65 has an A code in the vin and is also not a hipo. :(
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:41 pm
The only 64 that I have seen in person that I believe was legit had a D code in the vin, export brace and like mentioned above 9 inch rear. My 64 Cyclone has a "K" code in the vin but is not a hipo. My 65 has an A code in the vin and is also not a hipo. :(
There was a poster here a few years ago had one with a wacky DSO code, claimed it was a Hi-Po car.
No build sheet or window sticker to verify authenticity.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:59 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:41 pm
There was a poster here a few years ago had one with a wacky DSO code, claimed it was a Hi-Po car.
No build sheet or window sticker to verify authenticity.

Joe
I believe all hipo Comets had a 6 digit DSO
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Cast iron exhaust manifolds were shaped differently than the non-hypo manifolds. They were more streamlined to improve the flow.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:14 am
I believe you’re right Fred, 210hp. Jim (A/FX) knows more about these cars, maybe he’ll chime in.
I would not say I know more about the elusive ‘64 Comet HiPo car but I have talked about them on this forum in the past. I have not seen an example in the flesh, from what documents exist the HiPo cars had a “D” engine code. There are too many so called experts that preach about “K” code Comets, when anyone with Comet experience knows that is just the 210hp 289 engine code.
This argument/ discussion could and no doubt will go on for ever, my opinion is that a HiPo ‘64 Comet is a white whale.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:42 pm
Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:14 am
I would not say I know more about the elusive ‘64 Comet HiPo car but I have talked about them on this forum in the past. I have not seen an example in the flesh, from what documents exist the HiPo cars had a “D” engine code. There are too many so called experts that preach about “K” code Comets, when anyone with Comet experience knows that is just the 210hp 289 engine code.
This argument/ discussion could and no doubt will go on for ever, my opinion is that a HiPo ‘64 Comet is a white whale.
Jim
Like I said, I saw your white whale. In the mid 80's, D code and all the goodies. I know for a fact that car was scrapped from rust and the drivetrain taken out for a mustang restoration, maybe it was the only one... but it did exist.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I think I've given the new owner of the 64 enough info that he realizes it's a 210hp 4bbl motor.
I also have now seen a vid of it running and it has a vacuum distributor, standard exhaust manifolds and welded in brace. It will be a nice piece for him and his son to build together.
I didnt mean to start anything here just help a new Comet owner understand what he has.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

It’s all good with me Fred, always educational for my forgetful mind 😄
Motor Safe,
Lee

comethead

Post by comethead »

Weren’t the Durability Comets Hipos? I believe the Safari Comets were too.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:52 am
Weren’t the Durability Comets Hipos? I believe the Safari Comets were too.
Yep, they were all Calientes. Cyclone came out in January 1964, four months after Caliente.
Old literature alludes to a few Cyclones built w/ HP 289 near the end of the model year. This makes a little sense, as some '65s were fitted.

HP 289 was founded in San Jose plant in mid-'63, from what I can gather. That's where the Fairlanes were built, but no Comets.
The logistics weren't there for any type of mass production, from what I've found. Then again, I could be wrong. SWAG.

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi