Stock original AM radio that just crackles and hums

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
MY63COMET

Stock original AM radio that just crackles and hums

Post by MY63COMET »

Ok, so while I am waiting for my headliner, horns, horn relay, and battery hold down clamp, I decided to look at the antenna since the radio just crackles and hums.
The cable going into the radio is tight, but the cable going into the antenna itself wiggles around? I took it apart and
heres what I have so far.
No matter how tight I screw the antenna piece, with cable into the antenna itself, it still wiggles. It’s not a snug fit. The pin piece fits into the small hole fine but not tightly. Is it supposed to?
Also, what is the little protruding tab piece pictured?
Is that supposed to ground onto the car itself?

Any ideas?

photo hosting

Joe Travers

Re: Stock original AM radio that just crackles and hums

Post by Joe Travers »

Is that a Bakelite insulator?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:54 pm
Is that a Bakelite insulator?

Joe
I don’t think so Joe. I just pulled that piece off to check and it looks like a more modern plastic cap. The cable looks newer too. Do you think that cap/insulator needs to be on there at all?

Groover

Post by Groover »

Well, if you want to try to deduce whether the radio works and the antenna is the issue or if the radio doesn't work at all, just grab a piece of copper wire (like the a chunk of house electrical wire, and shove it in the radio antenna end or touch it/clamp it to the connector, etc.) assuming there is at least one AM radio station reasonably close to you (not sure where you live) you should get something. Try it with the car off and just running on the accessory/battery to eliminate any interference caused by the plug wires or ignition system. If it's still all hum and static with the car off and the copper wire attached, then my guess is it's the radio. Might be a capacitor that is leaking or has gone to ground, etc. Who knows. If you can pick up something and there is no hum/static, then it may be your connector with the antenna in the photo. The good news is, if you want the AM radio to work, I'm guessing you can find one somewhere as most people move onto something else. Or like a few of us, you can send it to Tayman and have it reworked into an FM/Bluetooth with the look of the old AM radio. You will need the antenna for the FM, but this all assumes it's the radio that's bad. Hope that helps.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Groover wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:12 pm
Well, if you want to try to deduce whether the radio works and the antenna is the issue or if the radio doesn't work at all, just grab a piece of copper wire (like the a chunk of house electrical wire, and shove it in the radio antenna end or touch it/clamp it to the connector, etc.) assuming there is at least one AM radio station reasonably close to you (not sure where you live) you should get something. Try it with the car off and just running on the accessory/battery to eliminate any interference caused by the plug wires or ignition system. If it's still all hum and static with the car off and the copper wire attached, then my guess is it's the radio. Might be a capacitor that is leaking or has gone to ground, etc. Who knows. If you can pick up something and there is no hum/static, then it may be your connector with the antenna in the photo. The good news is, if you want the AM radio to work, I'm guessing you can find one somewhere as most people move onto something else. Or like a few of us, you can send it to Tayman and have it reworked into an FM/Bluetooth with the look of the old AM radio. You will need the antenna for the FM, but this all assumes it's the radio that's bad. Hope that helps.
Thank you for that info. Great stuff. I will give that a try tomorrow.
Fingers crossed. I just want to keep the radio stock original.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

MY63COMET wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:12 pm
I don’t think so Joe. I just pulled that piece off to check and it looks like a more modern plastic cap. The cable looks newer too. Do you think that cap/insulator needs to be on there at all?
Not sure of that but Groover hit on something. is it noisy with the engine off in assy. mode?
Don't know when these radios went from tube to solid-state units but it was around '63. In the past, I was never concerned. Pulled 'em for hi-fi equipment but preserving one would be priority if I could now.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:00 pm
MY63COMET wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:12 pm
Not sure of that but Groover hit on something. is it noisy with the engine off in assy. mode?
Don't know when these radios went from tube to solid-state units but it was around '63. In the past, I was never concerned. Pulled 'em for hi-fi equipment but preserving one would be priority if I could now.

Joe
Yep, it’s noisy with or without the engine running and in assy mode too.
I’m going to try the old wire or coat hanger antenna trick tomorrow to see if I get anything. If not, I’m going to send it in to that shop Groover recommended. I was checking out his services and prices. I may even spring for the FM conversion.
Shhhhhh, don’t tell the wife. She may think “FM conversion” is a FeMale conversion. 🤪

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

No luck on the coat hanger methods. Thanks anyways.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My am was working. but pretty much useless going down the road,& not much better sitting still with motor off. I had bought it off ebay & added a dash speaker I had on hand. then after 60-70 years the one am station in my little town closed down. so I sent it off to be modernized w/blutooth,voice control ,the works. but I sent mine to a guy in mt juliet Tn. named Richard Blankenship. he has several videos on youtube showing some of his work & how to operate it all. but it is expensive,but a man needs to treat himself every now & then ,so I sent it off the day before my birthday! :P
Johno

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:17 pm
My am was working. but pretty much useless going down the road,& not much better sitting still with motor off. I had bought it off ebay & added a dash speaker I had on hand. then after 60-70 years the one am station in my little town closed down. so I sent it off to be modernized w/blutooth,voice control ,the works. but I sent mine to a guy in mt juliet Tn. named Richard Blankenship. he has several videos on youtube showing some of his work & how to operate it all. but it is expensive,but a man needs to treat himself every now & then ,so I sent it off the day before my birthday! :P
Ha, ha, ha. Smart man!!! :D
I'm going to try that. Will have to wait until Christmas to pull that off. That's way better than getting socks and new underwear. LOL.
Today, I received more receipts from the seller for my records. He did put a new antenna in. New brakes, brake lines, gas tank, radiator, etc.

Also received a copy of a "Registered Owner Plan" from the original Mercury dealer in Rhode Island for the lady, Beatrice Pickles, that bought the car new on 05/18/1963. After a Google search I found out the she was born in Sept.1895 and was 67 years old when she bought the Comet new.

***Can anyone make out that dealership name? I would love to find an original piece from there.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Dario Lincoln/Mercury/Comet, Providence, Rhode Island

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:35 am
Dario Lincoln/Mercury/Comet, Providence, Rhode Island

Joe
You are The Man! Thank you Joe.
Very much appreciated.
-Doug-

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

MY63COMET wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:59 am
Very much appreciated.
-Doug-
Appreciate the sentiment but I'm not 'The Man', by any means. :wink:
When temps hit the century mark, I'm hunkered down in the A/C! You guys up north winterize your cars. We 'summerize' them.
Did get a few things ordered for my Comet yesterday.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:08 am
MY63COMET wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:59 am
Very much appreciated.
-Doug-
Appreciate the sentiment but I'm not 'The Man', by any means. :wink:
When temps hit the century mark, I'm hunkered down in the A/C! You guys up north winterize your cars. We 'summerize' them.
Did get a few things ordered for my Comet yesterday.

Joe
I’m originally from northern Indiana, but left in 1978.
We live in Western NC now. No winterizing here. Just people freaking out before any snowflakes even hit the ground. Mad dash to the store for milk and bread like we are going to be snowed in for months. 😀 Rookies!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

There was another thread on here, I guess it has been quite a few years ago now, talking about a small hidden device that had fm and maybe mp3 and USB hookups.there were lots of different brands of them and pretty cheap too! Like 40-60 bucks. Seems like Boss said he had one in one of his cars and a few others did also. I'll try to find the thread tonight. Maybe someone will remember and speak up.
Johno