60's sounds

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
bluedart 70

60's sounds

Post by bluedart 70 »

My family and I drove across Canada from one coast to the other and back in our new 1962 Ford Falcon station wagon in the summer of 1962. Mind you I was quite young then and don't have the clearest memory of the trip but one thing I can't remember was the sound of the car.
Here is my question and one that may raise some eyebrows and draw the ire from the more stalwart Comet owners:
Why do I find the sound of all the early 60s cars (from you tube videos) so rumbly and loud (not that there's anything wrong with that lol)as if the muffler needs repair. Is there something inherently different about these early engines that gives them this special sound?

power band

Re: 60's sounds

Post by power band »

.. probably those you tubee etc videos emphasize and exaggerate the low sounds since they're typically listening outside and near up to the car.

My family had a '60 wagon as a kid. Recent trip a few hundred miles in my '63 Falcon Wagon to the regionals with a friend had me recall the old car interior sound with the wind whistling through the rattling windows , crackling AM radio and an almost disorienting cacophony in hot weather when all windows are open . Rarely do you ever see a rolled down window in hot weather 'these days' except for workers rides...

Image. Image

( my '95 Isuzu Trooper was our first ever with factory AC ...)
(RIP)
Image . Image

hav e fun

bluedart 70

Re: 60's sounds

Post by bluedart 70 »

I am looking forward to hearing the car up close and personal to hear what it really sounds like. Nice looking falcon there.