1962 Comet on BAT

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
A/FX
Comet Central Member

1962 Comet on BAT

Post by A/FX »

Posted today on Bring a Trailer by the Peterson Museum in LA.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-mercury-comet-2/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 1962 Comet on BAT

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Not a fan of the dash, otherwise decent enough looking starting point for someone.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Lotta work went into making the ugliest dashboard on the planet.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I bet the dash sounds a lot better than it looks. what color is the dash butterscotch? :x But I dont think I've never seen the way the rearend is mounted before, the link mounts welded to the housing would have to go if I had it. maybe panhard bars.

not sure what the black thing is mounted to the right rear frame rail near the panhard bar. any one have a clue?
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:33 pm
I bet the dash sounds a lot better than it looks. what color is the dash butterscotch? :x But I dont think I've never seen the way the rearend is mounted before, the link mounts welded to the housing would have to go if I had it. maybe panhard bars.

not sure what the black thing is mounted to the right rear frame rail near the panhard bar. any one have a clue?
I looked at the black thing and my guess is a fuel pump. Not the best location if it is a pump.
The rear end mounting was popular in the 70’s, the housing floats and the forward bars locate the pinion angle, the watts link keeps it centered. The shocks will not work well with leaf springs when they are mounted vertically. The whole rear suspension looks complicated and could be done in a much simpler manner.
As for the dash….I have a hard time explaining that!
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:03 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:33 pm

I looked at the black thing and my guess is a fuel pump. Not the best location if it is a pump.
The rear end mounting was popular in the 70’s, the housing floats and the forward bars locate the pinion angle, the watts link keeps it centered. The shocks will not work well with leaf springs when they are mounted vertically. The whole rear suspension looks complicated and could be done in a much simpler manner.
As for the dash….I have a hard time explaining that!
Jim
what ever those things are that replaced the ubolts on the leafs is what I haven't ever seen. Looks more like a panhard bar than a watts link. & I'm familiar with the bars & their mounts but did you zoom in on the mounts? Kinda glad I couldn't see the front of it all.

yea it may be a pump or filter, & maybe lines that I thought was black bars coming down from it.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That is the ugliest dash I've ever seen! :shock:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

AfxJim where the axle /leafspring ubolts should be,what ever it is,,This is the thing I've never seen. maybe a lowering kit? any idea what it is? :?

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:24 pm
AfxJim where the axle /leafspring ubolts should be,what ever it is,,This is the thing I've never seen. maybe a lowering kit? any idea what it is? :?

It’s a floater system. It is designed to locate the housing on the springs but allow the housing to rotate. The rotation is controlled by the ladder bars that are mounted to the housing, the side to side location is controlled by a Panhard bar. Pinion angle is adjustable. This is not something I would want on a street driven car, it is designed for the strip. I believe nowadays most guys would just use coil overs instead of leaf springs, but the rules may dictate that.
https://www.swracecars.com/products/3-r ... lider-type
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:24 pm

It is a floating mount kit. Competition Engineering makes them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-2030
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A coat of primer and paint would have been a good idea before bolting it all together. :roll:

Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 pm
A coat of primer and paint would have been a good idea before bolting it all together. :roll:

Jim
So true, the little things make a big difference.
Larry