what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by poboyjo65 »

This car deserves a build thread. & will be a good record of what all you do to it. Also it is good entertainment & inspiration for others. :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LAST JUNE,came home from PF ,parked it in the garage,threw the keys in the floor and have not even opened a door,last week I put the charger on it to make sure batt stayed hot and TODAY,I poured a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and gave the carbs a small drink and she fired right up and ideled perfect,backed it out and capped up the open headers ,,got to get more gas before I wring it out down the road....but all is fine ...I LOVE IT !!!!....POP
pop/glenda

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

I took old Elizabeth to a FOP car show today. 105 cars and the old gal got a top 25 trophy. She's happy and I'm tickled pink. :D It was her first judged show. Y'all tell everybody I said hey.

Baldy

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Hey Baldy good job.

Same story here: took "Stella" to the Lowcountry Muscle Car show today and got the Work in Progress award.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

loman

Post by loman »

Congratulations Baldy! Your car is deserving of awards in my opinion.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Finally drove it for the first time this year!
I was having trouble with it quitting for no apparent reason and after posting on some related forums got some ideas on a fix.
Electronics of course, over the winter got them installed and started on some other stuff. Then with my motor bike accident this spring, starting back to work when i was fit enough and trying to pay for the bike i broke Sassy sat.
I have been back on it recently getting closer on the AC and gathering disc brake parts.
Yesterday i decided i needed to drive it before the snow, (which it has inparts of BC) so i focused on what it needed to run, did that and got a temp permit for today. Threw a couple hundred miles at it, think the stalling might be beat!
The 185-70-14s on the front were wore out but I had real good 185-60s laying around so they went on, pretty small but with the car as low as it is they look OK!
Starting to rub stuff underneath again though scraped the big nut on the end of the idler arm on a driveway today.
So i guess getting the car any lower is going to require a RP setup.
All in all was very happy to be out with Sassy
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LAST THURSDAY,I needed to wash Glenda's car and my PU,so I just added the comet to the list,so's it's all shinny and lookin spiffy.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:) JUST got back from town in the old red ride,30 miles round trip,1st time she has been driven since past june after PF...ran perfect,,kinda slow about startin back up at the gas station,but it did start,either battery or that old starter that I took 3 and built for it over 20yrs ago....will check into it later...may drive it to a monthly cruise Friday night....I can't recall what year the battery was put in it,but I bet you OL POP will get a handle on it soon....it ain't never let me down and this is to late in life for it to do so,now :!: :wink:
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Cleaned and Waxed the 65,gotta do the engine and interior tomorrow!! Heading to Commiefornia and the Mercury Show this WEEKEND !!POP;at least it is a stick and could be bump started!! I KNOW YOU will find the issue!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

After working all day with my son to rub out the fiberglass cap to get rid of all the sap stains from the damb trees and wax it, am taking it tomorrow to have the whole truck professionally washed and waxed. We, my son and grandson are heading for Sacramento Friday for the Falcon Regionals. It's been reported there will be 65 to 75 Falcons in attendance and I'm sure few Comets.
Should be a lot of nice cars, beautiful weather and good food and good times. I doubt there will be another Comechero in the lot.
I know the Mercury Show is this Sat also but can't be in both places. Hey Roy hows about coming to Sac instead? Would like to see your ride. You could even get a long distance award if nobody from farther away shows up. Too bad we can't get Fred to come on down.
Enjoy the SoCal sun and the show.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Cleaned and Waxed the 65,gotta do the engine and interior tomorrow!! Heading to Commiefornia and the Mercury Show this WEEKEND !!POP;at least it is a stick and could be bump started!! I KNOW YOU will find the issue!!! ROY.
thank you and you rest assure POP will find the culprit....and good luck at the show,,,,you oughta win for sure on CRAFTMANSHIP..POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IN all the yrs I have owned and all the miles I have driven my old red ride,,TODAY,, I drove it and stopped at a parts store ,when I got ready to leave,it barely turned over when I hit the starter,,, and failed to start,,,jumped it off,but it still barely spun then it started,came home and let it sit for about 20 or so minutes and it kicked right off.......battery has e'nuff fire in it to burn a wet dog,,,,will put it on my lift in the morning and put another starter on it.....cables and connections are in good shape...it all points to a dragy starter after it gets hot....this old starter was used plus I took 3 and built it many yrs ago,,,so I have gotten plenty of service from it....BESIDES THIS AIN'T NO STEP.....FOR A STEPPER :lol: :wink: ....A GUY at the parts store ask ....what will ya take for it..? and he would take me home in his truck and he would worry about starting it....OL POP smiled at him and said it ain't for sale and I'll worry about startin it myself....as it was said to me in jest......least I took it that way....I must be getting SOFT in my old age..... :wink: :) :lol: :lol: OL POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

So technically it would have started if you would have waited 20 min. :lol: & it still hasn't stranded you . 8)

Speaking of starters, I need to find a good mini starter. my steering linkage is hitting that little clamp screw on the front side of the starter. motor doesn't like any other position so I cant raise it up.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,YES I could have went inside and drank a cup of coffee and shot the breeze for awhile and it would have started,,,,,,there's plenty of room around the headers to remove the starter,so that ain't no sweat as far as getting heat from them,,,age has caught up with the starter :shock: :?
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:So technically it would have started if you would have waited 20 min. :lol: & it still hasn't stranded you . 8)

Speaking of starters, I need to find a good mini starter. my steering linkage is hitting that little clamp screw on the front side of the starter. motor doesn't like any other position so I cant raise it up.
Here's a mini starter like what I'm running on mine. Reasonably priced, and it's clockable. Turns my 5.0 with no problem. Different maker than mine but it's exactly like mine. Same model number #2107E. Paid about the same several years ago. Has a totally diffrerent sound but you soon get used to that.

Only warning is you have to clean off some of the blue anodize where the motor mounts as the anodize is a poor conductor. Found that out the hard way.
Ron