what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Joe Travers

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by Joe Travers »

Drove to an advertised C&C this morning. Get there, only a Triumph Bonneville out front. Waitress says they cancelled due to rain??? Sunny and hot all day long :? Triumph owner really digging the Comet with his son. So much for car meets...eh.....

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Entirely too hot to do anything on the Comet and not kill the worker maybe a cooler day or two this week? I hope.
see Ya,
mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Front came through last night and brought some needed rain but also cooled us down. It was in the 70s this morning so I got out and did some body work the left rear quarter is all in polyester filler (Eastwood Contour) ready on sand so when that is done I will shoot the epoxy sealer on and some filler primer and be done for now with the right side pretty happy with having one near complete rust free quarter on the Comet ( right is rust free just not filled etc still see the welds)
Resting now so I don’t overdo it (supposed to be a day or two before heat returns :roll:
see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I'm done with the structural metal work. Now I'm putting seam sealer everywhere I think it needs to be. Finished today it was 92 in the shop. Next up I roll it out to the driveway and paint it with epoxy primer. I had the paint guy mix me up a quart of machine grey single stage that I will shoot the bottom of the car with so I can see what I'm doing during mockup. On final assembly it will be undercoated.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

peterr991

Post by peterr991 »

Today I washed it, but unfortunately don't have a photo :/

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

One of those days..........
What started as a dead battery turned into several things by the end of the day. Tray had some corrosion, pull it with the battery. Apron has some rust and corrosion, run buy some POR-15. See all of that good working room, decide to fix alternator alignment problem, start to replace billet brackets with stock ones. Poopy turnbuckle on bottom frozen, cut the belt and pull the fan and pulley to remove alternator brackets. Poopy turnbuckle bolt in water pump seized up. Check water pump shaft for play, needs changing.....and I wanted to rebuild my Holley this week....ain't happening.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

comethead wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:38 pm
Those Comets are looking sharp!
I did some over-troubleshooting on my no reverse light problem. Neither light comes on in Reverse so I ass-umed the switch was bad. Whats the likelihood that both bulbs were burnt out right?
I got it on jack stands and made sure the neutral safety switch was correctly adjusted. No help.
I jumped the wires at the firewall to bypass the switch...no lights. FINALLY I removed the rear lenses and found 2 burnt bulbs :oops: . Confirmed with 12V at the sockets with a multi-meter. I turned a 10 minute job into a 2 hour mis-adventure. 1156 bulbs for reverse lights...I dont have any of those on hand, and no time to go the parts store :evil:

Then I serviced the trans filter/fluid and lubed the steering gearbox.

Runs like a top!
I guess one needs to check the easy first matter how improbable,we have all done the same
See Ya,
Mike

Joe
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Like pealing an onion. Always another layer.

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

But when you re done it will be satisfyingly done :lol: I like making old and crusty new again or better than before.
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:58 pm
Like pealing an onion. Always another layer.
Beats me how someone puts a lot of cash into a hi-po engine and doesn't take the time to get an alternator assembly right! :? Led to the occasional annoying squeal and water pump wear. Eh........Yeah, things domino when you screw up something. I'll quit griping now :lol:
The old and crusty gets priority treatment first thing in the morning, Mike. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 pm
One of those days..........
What started as a dead battery turned into several things by the end of the day. Tray had some corrosion, pull it with the battery. Apron has some rust and corrosion, run buy some POR-15. See all of that good working room, decide to fix alternator alignment problem, start to replace billet brackets with stock ones. Poopy turnbuckle on bottom frozen, cut the belt and pull the fan and pulley to remove alternator brackets. Poopy turnbuckle bolt in water pump seized up. Check water pump shaft for play, needs changing.....and I wanted to rebuild my Holley this week....ain't happening.

Joe
then as you do all that you run into all of the ''While I'm in here might as well do the ____,clean this ,paint that,flush the rad,new lower hose,maybe top hose ,new belts ,....on...& .....on....'' :lol:
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 pm
then as you do all that you run into all of the ''While I'm in here might as well do the ____,clean this ,paint that,flush the rad,new lower hose,maybe top hose ,new belts ,....on...& .....on....'' :lol:
I should have put the alternator off until later but all of that nice space and no busted knuckles....avoid the temptation, brother :lol:
Nah, I've been putting off some things to take care of things I enjoy more, like engine tuning and slappin' the Hurst :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The only thing keeping m e out of the drivers seat right now is I am waiting on some new glasses to see if it helps my vision enough to be comfortable driving , having no windows is still a bit of an encumbrance as well :lol:
See Ya,
Mike’s
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Some nice lady snapped a shot while I was cruising out of the C&C this morning. Met three other older Ford guys, a '65 Mustang, '69 F-100 and 427 kit Cobra (stroker 351W). Spent most of the morning swapping engineering stories with the older Mustang gent. Great guy. Three days of sweat paid off.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:25 pm
Some nice lady snapped a shot while I was cruising out of the C&C this morning. Met three other older Ford guys, a '65 Mustang, '69 F-100 and 427 kit Cobra (stroker 351W). Spent most of the morning swapping engineering stories with the older Mustang gent. Great guy. Three days of sweat paid off.

Joe
Lookin good Joe! :D

I've spent 3 days clearing the top of the trunk lid off,& lawn mowers & parts out of the path of it,maybe I'll get to take a ride before this cold front dissipates, only 80 today & low hum. :D .
Johno