what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Joe Travers

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:55 pm
Nope, practiced being an old man and idled around luggin the little 6,,,😇
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

TOOK IT off the lift in the shop after sitting for several months,,,all most started before battery played out...threw charger on it for about an hour,,,kicked off,,ran great,,drove to a monthly car gathering....ran just as good as it always has,,,,was a hit at the show...it posed for several pic's,,,and just a very few knew it was a comet and who built it.....POP
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Today and for the last couple of weeks I have been chasing a “popping” in the LH exhaust when I decelerate from a cruising speed. I first went after the exhaust system figuring I had a leak that was introducing air into the hot exhaust when I let off the accelerator. I did find that the #5 header tube was not sealed to the exhaust port, I filed the flange flat and installed a new gasket, same problem, it still popped. Next I tried adjusting the carburetors, jet’s, progressive linkage,tuning, etc. no luck. The popping did lessen but it was still there. So I decided to check the advance on the distributor to make sure it was advancing correctly. I have my dampener marked for initial and total advance so I connected the timing light and confirmed that the advance was working just as it should. Next I checked the initial timing at idle, it was OK but I decided to bump it a couple of degrees. After readjusting the idle circuits on both carbs and setting the idle I took the car around the block. ( a five mile distance where I live) The car ran great! Good acceleration, and no more popping in the exhaust. This whole situation still has be baffled, I found no reason for it to all of a sudden become an issue especially when it only affect the LH side of the engine. Now I plan to go a little larger on the carb jets, my air/fuel ratio has leaned out slightly since I made the changes.
Fun with Cars!!
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Today and for the last couple of weeks I have been chasing a “popping” in the LH exhaust when I decelerate from a cruising speed. I first went after the exhaust system figuring I had a leak that was introducing air into the hot exhaust when I let off the accelerator. I did find that the #5 header tube was not sealed to the exhaust port, I filed the flange flat and installed a new gasket, same problem, it still popped. Next I tried adjusting the carburetors, jet’s, progressive linkage,tuning, etc. no luck. The popping did lessen but it was still there. So I decided to check the advance on the distributor to make sure it was advancing correctly. I have my dampener marked for initial and total advance so I connected the timing light and confirmed that the advance was working just as it should. Next I checked the initial timing at idle, it was OK but I decided to bump it a couple of degrees. After readjusting the idle circuits on both carbs and setting the idle I took the car around the block. ( a five mile distance where I live) The car ran great! Good acceleration, and no more popping in the exhaust. I then drove the car about 20 miles at various speeds, no issues. This whole situation still has me baffled, I found no reason for it to all of a sudden become an issue especially when it only affect the LH side of the engine. Now I plan to go a little larger on the carb jets, my air/fuel ratio has leaned out slightly since I made the timing carb adjustment changes.
Fun with Cars!!
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:24 pm
Today and for the last couple of weeks I have been chasing a “popping” in the LH exhaust when I decelerate from a cruising speed.
I get exhaust pop on both sides after hard deceleration (3K+>900). Plugs look good, may be a tad lean
Have fun :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm
A/FX wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:24 pm
Today and for the last couple of weeks I have been chasing a “popping” in the LH exhaust when I decelerate from a cruising speed.
I get exhaust pop on both sides after hard deceleration (3K+>900). Plugs look good, may be a tad lean
Have fun :D

Joe
I checked my plugs also, they looked good. I thought I might have a lean condition also that is why I installed the air/Fuel gauge. The popping probably did not hurt anything but I found it very annoying, it reminded me of a “rice burner”.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Did some maintenance work on the exhaust system this afternoon.
Blew the condensation out of the mufflers racing a rice rocket :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Took the old gal out and stretched her legs this afternoon. The weather has been glorious, almost fall-like since hurricane Idaliah blew past. My wife and I drove to a nearby small town and back, about a 50 mile round trip. Not far, but more than the 5 to 10 mile trips to cruise-ins she usually gets. It was great to just roll down the windows and cruise at 55 down the blacktop. :D

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 pm
Took the old gal out and stretched her legs this afternoon. The weather has been glorious, almost fall-like since hurricane Idaliah blew past. My wife and I drove to a nearby small town and back, about a 50 mile round trip. Not far, but more than the 5 to 10 mile trips to cruise-ins she usually gets. It was great to just roll down the windows and cruise at 55 down the blacktop. :D

Jim
Glad you got to get out w/ the wife, Jim.
We finally got a good rain today down here after 10 weeks of drought. Temps finally getting back to normal after six weeks of 100F+ temps.

Called Russ today in Cali., have my other horn bracket on the way so I can breeze through inspection before end of October 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Replaced the incandescent bulbs in stop and turn lights with LEDs. Much more visible.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:51 pm
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 pm

Jim
Glad you got to get out w/ the wife, Jim.
We finally got a good rain today down here after 10 weeks of drought. Temps finally getting back to normal after six weeks of 100F+ temps.

Called Russ today in Cali., have my other horn bracket on the way so I can breeze through inspection before end of October 👍

Joe
Inspection??????

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

I kissed Mrs Pickles when I got back from Indiana and told her how lovely she was.
Found the new correct sun visors finally arrived for her.
Hoping to get the new headliner put in by the end of the year. Only two shops around my area and they are both slammed with work.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

MY63COMET wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:06 pm
Inspection??????
Yes, Doug but not as stringent as modern vehicles.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Well after 35 years together it is time to finally replace the quarters on my Cyclone. So that’s what I’ve been doing for the past week. Right side is about ready to go on but the left is going to take some rebuilding of the inner before it is ready for the skin. With any luck I hope to have her in 2k epoxy and the underside and front shot in black before it gets too cold here to paint.

Can anyone tell me what the max attachment size is?

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yes, Rootsy, we need to see some pics of your project. The easiest way to post pics is using a separate host, like Postimages. It automatically resizes your pics so they fit. This link will explain how to do it.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim