what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Joe Travers

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:10 am
I've spent 3 days clearing the top of the trunk lid off,& lawn mowers & parts out of the path of it,maybe I'll get to take a ride before this cold front dissipates, only 80 today & low hum. :D .
Need to pick up a small shed for the junk, John! I need to pick up a new one myself. Floor is gone in my old one.
Yeah, this morning was gorgeous to get out and cruise a little. Got hot around 10 and I split.
Thanks!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got out early while it was cool and worked on my left rear quarter patch, finally took the flap wheel and just ground that messy spot back down to bare metal and started over there, I got new filler applied before I ran out of cool and steam, took a picture but because I am mid repair I am not posting it until it done to keep confusion down. I am thinking of rolling on my next layer of high build primer, Eastwood sells a kit for roll on epoxy and filler, they posted a vid so I thought I should just roll my own kit (pun intended)I am goingto spray the epoxy in my kit :P you all can come along for the ride and see what you think :? I had to order another quart of primer because I know I have one but the only sure way to find it is to buy another :P .
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Just piddling around today, waiting for the kit and jets to arrive for my Holley double-pumper. Installed the proper air cleaner decal and dome light lens. Still not certain about total displacement but after purchasing a pen light and small inspection mirror, I found the casting number on the block. It is for '91 5.0L H.O. The crank pulley, snout bolt and balancer also confirm 5.0L H.O. Got in touch with the PO and he said he had the build sheet but has never produced it. My bore scope has come in handy and will purchase a dial indicator before next oil change to check the cam profile. And yes, the decal is probably '68 J code stuff but it fits the bill.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Really neat looking engine Joe! :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:48 pm
Really neat looking engine Joe! :D
Thanks John! Getting kind of trippy, looking like a Christmas tree :lol:
Itching to get my Holley on there.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking very clean :D
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Today is a non-Comet day my therapist is coming right during good outside work time :roll: My next goal is to get the Comet back up on stands pull the rear tires off and get the seats out so I can POR15 the floors and install the sound deader plus do some epoxy primer on both sides of the car before doing the next round of filler primer and block sanding it all down and hopefully shooting some paint on, may take me weeks to get to that stage :lol: :lol:

Probably do a little steering wheel work today,yesterday I repunched a set of holes on the cover that will pull it tighter to thin rim on the wheel, if not I think I ha be a solution of putting a second cover over the first making the rim thicker and more cushy I guess :roll: :roll: I have lots of covers to choose from now :lol: :lol:
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

tomb22 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:24 pm
Thank you but not as clean as appears. Could use a bath and a proper paint job.
Working on engines is one of my passions, more so than the rest of the vehicle. They've always perked my curiosity more than other things.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 am
tomb22 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:24 pm
Thank you but not as clean as appears. Could use a bath and a proper paint job.
Working on engines is one of my passions, more so than the rest of the vehicle. They've always perked my curiosity more than other things.

Joe
I have always considered myself more of a mechanic than other things I enjoy doing engine work and assembling engines and making them run, I guess that is why the 250 build was so much fun for me, using a menagerie of Ford I4,I-6and V8 parts from 1960 - 1996 and getting them to all bolt on and run well in the end :lol: It is satisfying for me, I feel I accomplished something maybe that was not done before, it is a cool feeling :lol:
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:48 pm
I have always considered myself more of a mechanic than other things I enjoy doing engine work and assembling engines and making them run, I guess that is why the 250 build was so much fun for me, using a menagerie of Ford I4,I-6and V8 parts from 1960 - 1996 and getting them to all bolt on and run well in the end :lol: It is satisfying for me, I feel I accomplished something maybe that was not done before, it is a cool feeling :lol:
Yes, I was quite impressed by your hodge-podge of parts in that build. Ford interchange has always been a challenge, especially on the pocketbook. That was a nice feat of engineering there, Mike :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:35 pm
Just piddling around today, waiting for the kit and jets to arrive for my Holley double-pumper. Installed the proper air cleaner decal and dome light lens. Still not certain about total displacement but after purchasing a pen light and small inspection mirror, I found the casting number on the block. It is for '91 5.0L H.O. The crank pulley, snout bolt and balancer also confirm 5.0L H.O. Got in touch with the PO and he said he had the build sheet but has never produced it. My bore scope has come in handy and will purchase a dial indicator before next oil change to check the cam profile. And yes, the decal is probably '68 J code stuff but it fits the bill.

Joe
Most won’t know anyway myself included unless you tell me, if you are happy with it and it look appropriate that is all that matters
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Nothing will happen today still hot and dr appointments this afternoon so I have to try and stay somewhat clean so bondo sanding is noththe way to do that :c :o
At :? :? :? :P
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Eighty mile shakedown today and blew a front shock. :? Great fuel mileage and the pistons are cleaning up nicely with Lucas nitro additive.
Works better than GumOut in my engine.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:43 pm
Eighty mile shakedown today and blew a front shock. :? Great fuel mileage and the pistons are cleaning up nicely with Lucas nitro additive.
Works better than GumOut in my engine.

Joe
Joe,
Let me know.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 pm
Let me know.
Thanks, Jim. Check PM.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop