what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
DesertRat

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by DesertRat »

Today I finished my Floorpan install and got the subframe connectors in. The car is ready to go up on my rotisserie. Then the real work starts.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BUT it'll worth it.....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Uninstalled my air-conditioning. Too cold for all of that! :D

Eckler's re-pop is top notch compared to Mr. Gasket, these days. Very pliable and fit over the Hurst stick with no problems whatsoever.
Didn't bind up in 2nd & 4th like the stiff Mr. Gasket piece. Will see how long this one will last.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks familiar. That's how the mice got into mine and tried to set up housekeeping. I've got a piece of steel wool that plugs the hole when she's parked in the garage now. Eckler's, eh........

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:16 pm
Eckler's, eh........
If there is a better vendor, name it Jim. If this one doesn't last, I'll be looking for better.
Hard to find any aftermarket parts that are great these days. That's why that crusty mounting ring is still there. :wink:
I was pleased the steel base plate was made in the rubber like the original.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

last summer I pulled my side by side on a trailer behind my 94f150,,it was hot summer and as I didn't need the truck I left it all loaded for a couple of weeks parked by my dog pen out back in the shade,,,,,,when I opened the door,,IT KNOCKED ME DOWN,,I disconnected the battary and left the doors open for 2 days.and set a mouse trap,,caught one and found what was left of one,,,,it took forever to get that smell out,,,,the inside of this truck looks brand new,,I washed and scrubbed and wiped for 3 days.....i put enuff good sniffin stuff in that cab to choke a goat,,,,it's all right now,,,,plus they chew on things,,,made a nest in the glove box,,,,how they got in the cab is a head scratcher....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I ended up using a square boot because the round one I bought would not go up on the shift lever (it had a round hole in it) and part of the problem is I epoxied the knob on there because it did not have a lock nut and my OCD kicked in and I dropped a ball of epoxy putty up in the knob hole and then screwed the knob on until I had everything nice and aligned, now the knob won't come back off without a lot of effort :roll: maybe, I haven't tried to remove it except casually.

I went ahead and bought a Hurst boot (the lever is an Indy H 3 speed shifter arm that was in the car I cut the bottom off of) I think the round would be more period correct but the square one looks ok.

Of course, it has the Hurst H engraved into the bottom plate so it looks like a Hurst shifter but in reality, it is a no-name T5 short-throw shifter with a cheaper version Hurst shift lever (Indy-H), an aluminum 5-speed pattern knob ( couldn't find a Hurst knob in my colors, or I did not want to pay the price) and a Hurst replacement boot (I have to slide the boot up from the bottom and then attach the lever to the shifter and slide the boot down to the floor last) I would put a foam seal around the shifter/transmission where it comes up through the floor but figure mice would eat it anyway.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm
how they got in the cab is a head scratcher
They can get in anything, all my parked vehicles I have the glove box doors open and they stay out, I guess they don't feel safe with the door open.

I hate mice and rodents in general.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there are traces of them in everything that sits out back....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:37 am
there are traces of them in everything that sits out back....pop
few yrs ago I bought a 1978 f350 dually flat bed for spare parts,,,drove it home and parked,,left the title in the glove box,,,,mice ate it ,,,,hardly nothing left of it,,,,lucky for me I just wanted it for parts in case I was to need them for my other flatbed,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:09 am
I went ahead and bought a Hurst boot (the lever is an Indy H 3 speed shifter arm that was in the car I cut the bottom off of) I think the round would be more period correct but the square one looks ok.
The old square Hurst boot looks good and clean on that transmission tunnel, Mike. The stock tunnel has the 5 1/2" hump that takes the round boot. Thank goodness I don't have mice yet. Streets are dry here most days so I run 'em off with those DynoMax mufflers. :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Beautiful day today, so the wife and I took the old girl out to stretch her legs. (The car, I mean. :lol: ) Ashamed to say it's the first time since September I've had her out, but it seemed like there was always something else I needed to do. It took three long cranks to get the gas back in the bowls and fired up. I can go out in a week or two and she'll fire right up, but if she sits for awhile it takes several tries to bring her back to life. I don't know if that's an Edelbrock carb thing or just something with my car, but I know Pop says his Eddy's do the same thing. I let her idle while I cleared all the stuff off the blanket on top of the trunk. That's one of the problems with these cars is they make great tables if they sit long enough. You can't sit anything on my wife's SUV without it sliding off unless you put it on the roof, but that's so high you can't tell what's up there. :roll: Took her to the local watering hole and gave her a drink of 90 octane ethanol-free, then went for a little drive. All three of us enjoyed the excursion. She's tucked in for the night out in the garage again. I gave her a pat on the rear quarter and promised her it wouldn't be near as long until the next outing. :wink:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 am
Beautiful day today, so the wife and I took the old girl out to stretch her legs. (The car, I mean. :lol: ) Ashamed to say it's the first time since September I've had her out, but it seemed like there was always something else I needed to do. It took three long cranks to get the gas back in the bowls and fired up. I can go out in a week or two and she'll fire right up, but if she sits for awhile it takes several tries to bring her back to life. I don't know if that's an Edelbrock carb thing or just something with my car, but I know Pop says his Eddy's do the same thing. I let her idle while I cleared all the stuff off the blanket on top of the trunk. That's one of the problems with these cars is they make great tables if they sit long enough. You can't sit anything on my wife's SUV without it sliding off unless you put it on the roof, but that's so high you can't tell what's up there. :roll: Took her to the local watering hole and gave her a drink of 90 octane ethanol-free, then went for a little drive. All three of us enjoyed the excursion. She's tucked in for the night out in the garage again. I gave her a pat on the rear quarter and promised her it wouldn't be near as long until the next outing. :wink:

Jim
it's anything with a carb for me Jim,eddy's autolites,motorcraft what ever. I guess it just evaporates &/or get pulled back in the tank from temp changes. & back in the day when everything had a carb we didnt hardly ever let em sit that long ! :P so that's why we dont remember it. Glad you got to take her out for a ride !
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IF my cobra or my comet sits longer then a week sometimes alittle less..they crank over to prime back up,,,my 66f100 with a holly ain't so bad....!st thing I do to my carbs is to make the choke in operative,,if it's a manual choke,,I wire it open,,,,,except the 66pu,,it has a factory choke cable so I hooked it up for the fast idle mode....the other 4 are 500 edelbrocks.....had a carter on my 77 bronco,,,was no better.....been so long since I ran a mottorcraft/autolite I don't recall ,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Eddys are bad about flooding when the engine goes through a heat sink. Have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to fire back up. Had to do it last week on a 65 degree day. I'm going back to Holley this year.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop