what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by popscomet »

when you don't run a base plate,,they all are bad to flood over,,,,during a heat sink,that's why I always never bolt a carb stright to the intake ,,,,ford put a base plate under the carb for a reason.....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 pm
when you don't run a base plate,,they all are bad to flood over,,,,during a heat sink,that's why I always never bolt a carb stright to the intake ,,,,ford put a base plate under the carb for a reason.....pop
Never have bolted on a carburetor without a spacer, Pop. Always used the stock aluminum but running a 1" phenolic spacer now. Can't go any higher without changing the hood. Is the '63 Falcon hood the same as the Comet? Crites sells the Falcon hood.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

don't have any doings with any other hood other then what is on my comet...and I might add this concerning my hood..I took it to a good friend that rebuilt corvettes back then,,,to fit it to my comet,,,,and he told me it was one of the best glass hoods he had ever worked with,,,this was back in the 90's,,,,have no idea how crites workmanship is today...I just know POP has a nice hood even today,,,,I took the hood springs off and have always used a prop rod my son made..WE finaly after all these yrs went up in the attic and dug out the glass bumpers last year and put the front one on OL RUSTY,when we recall where we put the rear brkts,,we'll add the rear bumper,,,and they are well built also...I bought crites alumn cross flow rad and shroud also,,it is still in the box in the attic,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm
Is the '63 Falcon hood the same as the Comet?

JT
na Joe the nose is different
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:36 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm
Is the '63 Falcon hood the same as the Comet?
na Joe the nose is different
Thanks, John!
That figures. :? I would buy a glass hood to vent some heat but I'm not chopping mine to add a scoop. :(

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I agree,,,ain't no way would I chop a good hood for a scoop,,,,the hood on ole rusty ain't perfect but close to it,,,but we just bolted that GM re-pop scoop to it,,,did not want to cut it,,,we still have the orignal hood and it's near perfect,,,and I still have the perfect hood for my red comet put away in a box and I have 2pair of front fenders for a 64 put away,,,and 1 pr is for a cyclone with all the trim,,other is for a cal,,,,won't get rid of none it,,,as we have 2 64 comets,,,,might need them some day and I have also 1 trunk lid.......these parts are to hard to come up with and in as good as shape as I have is nearly impossible,,,,I read on here people needing parts and I have them,,,gauge clusters and such ,,,I think about helping out,,,but with 2 64 comets,,,I just can't bring myself to part with anything,,,sorry...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm
I have 2pair of front fenders for a 64 put away,,,and 1 pr is for a cyclone with all the trim,,other is for a cal,,,,won't get rid of none it,,,as we have 2 64 comets,,,,might need them some day and I have also 1 trunk lid.......these parts are to hard to come up with and in as good as shape as I have is nearly impossible,,,,I read on here people needing parts and I have them,,,gauge clusters and such ,,,I think about helping out,,,but with 2 64 comets,,,I just can't bring myself to part with anything,,,sorry...pop
Folks can buy fiberglass fenders if they need 'em, Pop. Crites sells them. I think I'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask if the dimensions of the Falcon hood are the same as the Comet. They sell a teardrop hood for '63 Falcon. If the hinge and front latch is the same, it would make a great summertime project :idea: Running A/C and aluminum heads in 100 degree weather with the stock radiator is a stretch. Little Red needs all the help she can get. Same folks still own Crites, they should still be great product :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I drove my comet out of the shop so I could use the shop. It was around 38F, no choke on my Quickfuel carb, idled rough but started after 2 pumps. I only put 94 octane in my comet, quads and lawn mowers. They start anytime of year.

I remember Roy and someone else complaining how how bad the Crites fenders fit for 65s.
There is a guy on Facebook making hoods. I can't decide bubble or snorkle or both.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I cut my good hood. At one time I had a couple extras but was talked in to selling. Sold one to a kid that bought one of my comets. Here is a pic of the hole and the salad bowl air cleaner setup.

65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

tweaked wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 pm
I remember Roy and someone else complaining how how bad the Crites fenders fit for 65s.
There is a guy on Facebook making hoods. I can't decide bubble or snorkle or both.
Fiberglass is pretty forgiving and easy to work with. I would think easier than fitting poorly made metal pieces, especially for guys like me without necessary tools to do the job. I'm not a fabricating guy but have experience with fiberglass work.

Thanks, Roger!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Heavy snow and rain today,,, turned on the garage heater and got back at the interior. I had the carpet close when driving season came last year so now detailing that, got the sub and it's enclosure installed for the first of several times I'm sure. Pics fo follow, if I can get one, all that black in a dark garage, tough job.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

Finished putting the fuel filler neck in as well as seat. :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sassy's gonna hit the street apr1, our son's Bday. Got it up in the air today for an oil change and general inspection. Nothing outta place under there so get a bit more done on the interior
and go burn some rubber!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 pm
go burn some rubber!!
Have fun, Fred!
Pollen getting an inch thick on the Comet down here in the Deep South. Getting the pressure washer out tomorrow, clean her up and take a drive, myself. I'll burn some rubber for ya :mrgreen:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Things are picking up around here in the cruise-in department. Went to TWO different cruise-ins yesterday. :D The first was in the morning, a Cars and Coffee cruise-in at a mall about 10 miles from me. Plenty of variety there, but many were late model factory muscle cars. I was the only Comet, of course, and I think the only Merc. Mine drew a fair amount of interest, some just wanting to know what it was :roll: , but some wanted to talk shop. It was a perfect morning with a cloudless sky and temps in the mid 60s.

The second was in the evening at a large strip mall about four miles from my house. That one was great, with everything from a Model T to late models, but was mostly custom cars that guys had poured hundreds of hours into. There was a guy with a 68 Cyclone GT, and while I was there, another guy showed up in a beautiful 65 Cyclone! Turns out he lives about six miles from me, is active on the facebook page, and plans to come to PF this year for the first time and bring his car with him. There were also five or six 65 Falcons there, all very nice, but one in particular that was beautiful. I realized after I got home that with all the shop talk with these guys, I didn't think to take any pictures. :roll:

There's another cruise-in about eight miles from me next Saturday morning at 9:00, so I'm planning to hit that one, too. Forecast is for clear skies with a high of 72, so should be in the 60s during the event. Hot dang! :D

Jim