Could Use Your Advice

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
B_Hix

Could Use Your Advice

Post by B_Hix »

OK - so most of you folks know I have a '67 - which the previous owner had put really high shackles on to clear the rear tires...

Well, I got new Cragars with 4.25" backspacking and new tires, as well as new shackles - factory replacements.

I have never messed with leaf springs before - so, I jacked the back of the car up and hung the rear end - I then proceeded to take the 'lift' shackles out (no easy task, lotta binding) - WITH the rear end hung, on removing the bolts BOTH leaf slapped up against the bottom of the car...

Thought this was not supposed to happen :shock: - granted, I looked at you tube videos for my 'education' here, but I thought with the rear hung there wouldnt be tension on the springs...

So - should this have happend? Are the new (proper) shackles supposed to hold the leafs away from the frame? I am literally going to have to hang my body weight off the springs to get the shackle bolts through the leafs...

Please see pictures below - any advice or comments?

Also - why the big 'plug' on the drivers side?

Thanks in advance!

67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

SASSY

Re: Could Use Your Advice

Post by SASSY »

Welcome to HELL!!! lol
i have had the same problem
if these cars didn't change from 64 to yours
and your springs and hangers are "stock"
heres what i did.
first i have only rubber donut mounts for the rear shackle
the bushing you show in the one picture looks like
the bushing for the front spring eye
i made a wood wedge and drove it between the spring and
frame and had to put the car weight on the wheels to move the spring eye
close enough to the frame mount to get shackle in,,,,,
hope this helps
fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

The wood wedge is a good idea - I ran outta light today so will try that tomorrow.

My car sits uneven for some reason, lower on the drivers side than the passenger side - I have new leafs, purchased from KC spring, less than 6 months old - that didnt correct the problem, so I was thinking maybe the homemade 'lift shackles' were the issue - after removing them I was able to muscle the (new) stock shackle in on the driver side - the leaf sits about 1 inch from the frame.

I weigh a modest 200 lbs :D and I was hanging on and pulling on the passenger side with everything I got and I cant get the leaf away from the frame enough to get the bolts through - kinda got me worried something may be twisted up under there, with the car sitting uneven like it does. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, along with some creative jack positioning - hopefully I can get that pass side in there.

I saw on one forum where they said to NOT tighten the nuts until the tires were on the ground - after sitting the car down they said to bounce the back end to get things to settle, then tighten the bolts - sound like hooey, or is this the way I should do it?

Adventures :lol: Gluttons for punishement we are, lolz
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

I put a scissor jack between frame and spring and jack the spring till shackle fits. I get the jacks at the pick and pull yard for $11 each.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

yes,settle everything,even drive it easy a block or two with everything barely snug.
the way your talking about the springs, it might be a good to pull the springs out
completely and compare.maybe even swap them side to side.
fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

that bushing thats in the second pic., I hope that's suppose to be welded in the frame cause I welded mine. the inner stucture of the frame was rusted away. It looked like the bushing was welded to it. I had to make another inner structure. I hope I didnt screw up.
Johno

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

juddp39532 wrote:I put a scissor jack between frame and spring and jack the spring till shackle fits. I get the jacks at the pick and pull yard for $11 each.

Sound advice ^^ and worth a try - I have a couple small bottle jacks and I think my sons car may have a scissor jack. Good stuff - I'll try the suggestions herein and get that sucker today :mrgreen:

Sassy, I agree with your recommendation - I hadn't spent much time under the backside of the car till today and the surface rust in the pics bothered me - this summer I'm going to put her up in the air and go to work on that to clean it up - if the lean isnt corrected with these new shackles I'll likely take the leafs and shocks off this summer and give it all a good looking over - that would be the right time to compare/swap em.

This is why I come here - good common sense stuff - thanks guys :mrgreen:

On a side note, the Cragars that were on it had were 14" rims with 2.5" backspacing - the new rims are 15" and have 4.25 inches backpacing. I had to guess on tire size (width) - but looks like I got pretty close - little fatter tire and it's all INSIDE the fenders now :mrgreen: Should really improve the ride without those ridiculous shackles on it... Now sadly I have 2 perfectly good Cragars to put on a shelf somewhere, lol
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Cragars make real good trading material for other parts! :P

Now sadly I have 2 perfectly good Cragars to put on a shelf somewhere, lol[/quote]

comethead

Post by comethead »

I did it like Fred did... put a piece of wood between the spring eye and the frame and jacked it until I could insert the eye bolts. Pain on the arse with one person and low light!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Thanks for the inputs guys - bottom line - it's done :mrgreen: Those ridiculous shackles are off the car now, which dropped the rear end back down about 4 inches. The new cragars allow for all the tire to fit in the wheel well - it rides buch better and it did a couple quick take-off's (won't call them launches) and didn't experience any wheel hop - very nice :D

I was able to lay under the car with the rear hung and with creative use of a 24" 2x4 get the eye bolts through. Once they were in I used soapy water on the bushings and got them in as far as possible - then started the nuts, jacked the rear up and down as needed to get things lined up closer - then I sat it on the ground, bounced the tar out of it, tightended everything down about 70% and went for a slow ride. Came home with everything lined up - tightended it all up and called it good :mrgreen:

The car does still have a lean to it - I'm sure some if not all of it is attributable to shot coils on the front - I have new coils and a front end rebuild kit - that's next.

For the love of the game......right? :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

In the second photo, is that a steel tube that the rubber bushing goes in? Is it supposed to be welded to the frame?
Johno

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

poboyjo65 wrote:In the second photo, is that a steel tube that the rubber bushing goes in? Is it supposed to be welded to the frame?

^^ You got me :mrgreen: I thought it was strange and asked about it above, but I don;t think anyone said for sure. It is a very tight fit, but it came out as I tapped the shackle out. I figure maybe that area was rusted and someone plugged it - a pro could probably clear this up for us.

I tapped it back in with my hammer - can't move it in or out with the fingers, and the car seems fine. If it needs to be tacked in thats a pretty easy fix.

POPS! Where you at? :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I pretty darn sure this is not suppose to be free in there. did you ever weld that in? that will let the shackle rub the frame; not good. will affect handling, & wearout the rubber bushing & could possibly slide too far & fall inside of frame under hard cornering. then waller out the frame hole. there is an inner bracket in the frame that this tube goes thru. it is a little thicker than the frame so if its not too rusty you can burn it in pretty good. I had to remake my bracket , it was toast. went in thru the trunk floor which was also toast.
Johno

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

poboyjo65 wrote:I pretty darn sure this is not suppose to be free in there. did you ever weld that in? that will let the shackle rub the frame; not good. will affect handling, & wearout the rubber bushing & could possibly slide too far & fall inside of frame under hard cornering. then waller out the frame hole. there is an inner bracket in the frame that this tube goes thru. it is a little thicker than the frame so if its not too rusty you can burn it in pretty good. I had to remake my bracket , it was toast. went in thru the trunk floor which was also toast.
Well, I wasnt sure it was supposed to be welded in 0 we never got that far - kinda weird one side has it and the other don't - having no experience with these cars I just didnt know.

It shall be done sir! I'm busting my hump to get my brand-x reassembled so I can get on the Comet full time. 1 May is my self imposed deadline to have X done. Thanks for the input!!!!
Brad
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Both sides should have this . what is on the other side? gotta be one to hold the rubber bushing. when you get done with x , post somemore pics of both sides, some one will know but I'm pretty sure its not suppose to slide in & out. Roy, Pop where are you? we need advise from pro.s
Johno