Track Report

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

Re: Track Report

Post by loman »

We took the 390 car to the track for the 2nd time yesterday. First time out after a couple shake down runs to make sure the steering was ok its best pass was 7.91. The temps were in the 80's that day. So yesterday the temps were in the 60's and the only change we made was to jet the 650 carb up from the last time. We had 2 time runs and 3 elimination passes. They were 7.75 7.63 7.65 7.61 & 7.63. Looking at the 1/8 to 1/4 chart (they vary some from chart to chart) but that is somewhere from 11.86 -11.93. We are happy as we know we are under carbed with the 650 and its not the right converter for the combo but its what we had laying around. Crew chief thinks we can get to 7.0's. I'm thinking more in the 7.2 -7.3 range. Time will tell. However we are happy with the way its running so far. We may get out 1 more time this year but we will see how the weather cooperates.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sounds like a fun car! Is it street legal?
A friend had a 390 in a Maverick ran about the same, bit quicker, crazy street car but consistent at the strip.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

loman

Post by loman »

Fred,

It could be street legal real easy. It already has historic plates. So to put it on the street, I would just have to get all lights and turn signals working again, and put some exhaust on. Buy some insurance and away i go. But the spool rear end and skinny tires up front aren't the best for the street but they could be swapped out.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool, ya the Mav had a spool and front runners too.
I was never that quick, 13-0 but loved the camshaft in the C. Solid mounts, Sassy just shook at stop lights,,, was too cool! Would cruise around in 1st at close to 6G looking for a street fight,,, 18 Till I Die!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

loman

Post by loman »

Took the 390 to the track for the last time this year. We put the 950 carb on and jetted it up. We made 5 passes and each time was a little quicker. First pass was 7.55 and last pass was 7.49. That should be around 11.70 in the 1/4. We are very happy with that.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That's down to where it's getting to be fun!!
Back when I dragged I couldn't afford to go much faster than 13.0 so after a couple years of that I got bored.
Shortly after I teamed up with a guy and went to roundy round. That along with road courses turned
Out to be my E ticket.
Fred

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Cosmic has ESP as well as EFI, a difficult story for me to tell.
I know some of you were waiting for a track report on Cosmic with the all new drivetrain, and we finally took her to the track on September 27th after a series of setbacks and delays. Friday test and tune with racing Saturday and Sunday. First run Friday morning, only a few cars that early at BIR Raceway, so looking forward to lots of trial runs. My wife, Joan, made a mild pass trying to learn shifter, converter, and line lock. 14:50 85 or so with a trail of black smoke. Thought maybe car was running rich, as EFI was still in learn mode. She made another trial pass giving it a bit more, 12:90 100mph, but now white smoke coming from car. I climbed in and wanted to see what was going on, gave it close to WOT, (my firt pass in Cosmic in about 25 years). A sluggish feeling 12:71 104. I noticed car dragging and a shrill noise from rear on return road, and realized the parking brakes were locked up..Thus the black smoke. Back to the pits, while loosening brakes, discovered leaky rear main seal on the new transmission.... thus the white smoke. Not a problem to repair, just an inconvenience.
However, I had received a call from my brother-in-law earlier that morning saying my sister was in the hospital again, but not to worry, things would be OK. So, fix the seal or load and go home without making a full pass. Something just didn't feel right, was Cosmic trying to tell us something?. We packed up the motorhome, loaded up Cosmic, and headed out for the three hour drive home. While on the road, got another call saying my sister was being transferred to a major medical center. Met with my brother-in law, and we drove to Duluth where my sister was being treated. Several hours later we were with her when she passed.
Thanks, Cosmic. We will give it another try in the spring. Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

So sorry Cary. My condolences to the whole family.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the LORD WORKS in strange ways,,,but I believe he was using that car ...sorry to hear the bad news CAREY,,,may GOD BLESS ALL !!….……….pop/glenda
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Cary,
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Cary.

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

So sorry for your loss Cary. The Lord made sure you where there.
tom
tomb's 65

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks for the kind words, guys, greatly appreciated. I didn't mean to go that direction in the Track Report thread, but I know a couple of you were interested in the 460 small block performance and needed to explain the delay. Winter has set in in the state of Northern Minnesota, but I am excited to get back on the track next spring!
Loman, what's that car of yours weigh? Cosmic scaled at 3340 without driver and a half tank of gas.

Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

loman

Post by loman »

We haven't weighed the car with the FE combo. Back when the 351W C4 and 8" rear end were in it, I believed it was in the 3200 lb range.

loman

Post by loman »

We went back through 390 over winter due to 3 middle cam bearings being chewed up. The 390 is now bored .020 with new rods and flat tops. Also tightened up the converter some. Today was 1st day track is open. Made 5 passes and happy with way car ran. The 390 ran from 7.47 to a best of 7.41 at 92 mph.