Track Report

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
tweaked

Re: Track Report

Post by tweaked »

Cary sorry for your loss.
Looks like no racing this year for me and tweaked. I did get a private invite to a track rental tonight for June but to much cost. $1000 for travel for one day plus $350 to play.
Loman nice improvement with the 950 carb. I'm running a 750 quick fuel but need to try a 950.
My 65 with me in the car is over 3400lbs. Need to lighten it some more.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

3400 lbs is a lot for 65 comet drag car....something or somebody needs to go on a diet !!! old rusty weighs in at 2622 lbs,,
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pops I too thought the cars were kinda heavy.
I noticed a time slip for 1/8th mile which I can't relate to cause only raced 1/4 so I found a converter online.
7.61 at 96mph converts to 12.06 at 119.04 !
Pretty respectable smallblock!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

Roger, I wish mine was that light, mine now weighs 3700 lbs without me in it, its a bit heavier now I fitted the roll cage & more sound deadner, but it is more of a street car than race car, haven`t raced since feb, car is still on the truck, hope we can get some passes in soon, hoping to try a couple small changes to see if I can get it into the 10.50s. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

John, have you ever shared with us just what that 302 is?
Motorsport block? Etc, cause that 10.50 probably requires that
little 3x4 times 8 to make a couple hp per cube!
So when you take it out for icecream,,,, gallons per mile? :mrgreen:
Teasing a bit but would like to hear about the motor.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Aussie Comet 1964

Hi Fred, I think I might have at some point but I forget, its a 8.2 dart SHP block 4.125 bore, makes it 364 cu in, scat steel crank, scat rods, JE 13:1 pistons, AFR 225 heads, crower solid roller cam, milodon gear drive, jesel rockers, genuine Parker funnel web intake now with 3" of spacer, 950 holley HP ultimate carb, std Ford distributor I put a magnetic pickup in, triggering a crane cams Hi6 ignition, standard water pump with factory 6 blade steel fan, has a vac pump & I made the headers, took me 5 weeks after work every day, you have to drop the engine in onto them, tight fit, 1 7/8" with 3 1/2" collectors & a dual 3" system with hooker aerochamber mufflers, I built the C4, fully rollerised with manual shift & 5000 stall converter, with a 9" N center with 4.11:1 gears & 31 spline detroit locker, billit Strange axles, all standard suspension with home made caltracs, I run it on 255 street radials, I like them, I am a bit lazy now, I can drive to the track & run without changing wheels & drive home on them, but its fastest time was on 235 street radials 10.61 @ 126. 68mph, that was with a lift at 1000ft cause the cross wind pushed me to the centerline & the crank pulley came off on that run too, it runs nice on pump gas & on drag challenge where we travel about 2000 kms over the 5 days it gets about 13mpg sits on about 4000rpm at 110 kmh on freeway, thats about everything, its a good little engine, goes well for its size & the weight of the car, been in for about 10 years, John
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sounds like a DAMN winner to ol POP...………..the way POP is and has always been,,,at 13mpg...if you can't afford to drive it,,stay at home and look at it.....crap fire my 1988 6cyl f150 don't do any better,,and it won't outrun a fatman !!...pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes Pop, that is one awesome setup!
So John, how did you come upon all this talent,,, the engine, trans builder, fabricator, bodyman, probably do all your own wiring,, it appears your short falls in the car hobby are limited?

Fred

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

John your car is impressive always a fan and thanks for the info.
Pops, a stock 289 65 comet is around 3100lbs. I added a lot of weight. Roll cage, 9in rear end large rear tires and rims and a full 2X3 frame from the front sub frame to the back bumper. I have removed a lot of weight also, trimmed steel from hood and trunk lid, aluminum rad, small plastic gas tank(putting a bigger aluminum one I built), light buckets instead of the bench, aluminum heads, no carpet and no back seat right now. I hope to take some more weight out.
Fred the 7.61 was one of my last passes last year and I had a rocker fall off on that pass so finished on 7 cylinders. I believe it would run 11.90s 1/4 mile.Comparing time slips with other racers. Still more power to get out of my engine and my converter is suspect. My 60 ft times are still slow and I have made many changes without the expected improvements.
With no racing this year I'm working on making it more street friendly.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

tweaked wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:15 pm
With no racing this year I'm working on making it more street friendly.
Roger
Oh I think there will be lots a racing,,,, better get the headlights working, thd racing is better after sunset :mrgreen:
Fred

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you can remove stuff to save weight ,,,but it doesn't take much to add it back,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Aussie Comet 1964

Pop, you`re right, no use having the cars if you don`t want to pay for fuel & they were built to drive not sit in a shed !!, fuel here is much more expensive that over there too, the Comet just beats the truck in fuel economy, I get about 10 - 11 mpg in the truck

Roger, your comet is pretty cool, I like the work you have done to it, you will sort out its full potential, thats the fun part !! hope racing gets back soon too so we can have some more fun

Fred, yes I do the wiring too, the only thing I haven`t taken on is upholstery, I don`t have a sewing machine but I have a good friend that has done some great work for me, I have tackled a few small things like hood lining etc, I wouldn`t call it talent, but comes from necesity, to get someone to do all this work would be unaffordable so I have a go myself, if I get it wrong I just do it again & learn from my mistakes, but its pretty cool when it turns out good, my dad is a bit of a jack of all trades so he taught me a lot of things, we have always worked on our cars together, sometimes he is a little concerned with my ideas like going twin turbo on the ranchero but he is impressed with the outcome, I sure you can relate to doing your own work, I like the work you have done on your Comet too over the years, doing it all your way. its nice too beating people that have spent plenty on their cars with experts doing the work with a car you built out of nothing in the back yard. John
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

We are going to the dirt races tonight,,gave it up 2 or so yrs ago,but son and grd son got a wild hair to bring them out of the weeds early in the week and have got them ready,,,so there will be 4 generations out there tonight,,,POP Dwayne Cory and CHASE....we are blessed for sure...…………..gonna be a lot of rust to knock off tonight...pop is not driving,,I'll keep tabs on CHASE ,,he and I will ride around and vist on the rhino side by side,,thanks and happy father's day to all...POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

just got home ,,hasn't rained in days,,,BUT it waited til we got there and unloaded the cars ,,then it started so we were rained out,,,,,oh well,,,,the good LORD knows the best,,,so we'll grin and bare it til another day !!...pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Hep Pop, you have a Rhino too. Next time you need tires, check out the Kenda Bear Claw K587's. I couldn't believe the bite in the sand and mud. I could go places in 2WD where I needed 4WD with the old 589's.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.