1965 Mercury Comet A/FX

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 1965 Mercury Comet A/FX

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Those are COOL pictures! You need to show us King Kong too.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:Those are COOL pictures! You need to show us King Kong too.
Will post them. Just wasn't sure if I should because of the car not being a Ford. But as long as it's okay I will.

Also he explained to me that the car was never "officially" known as King Kong. It just what he used to call it because of the big ape in the photos.

Here's one of the whole team accept dad. He took the pic.
Mike

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I really dig that sleeper on the hauler :!: anybody missing a van?
Johno

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

That is one cool hauler.
Dave

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

So, from everything thats been brought up so far, what I gather is...

1. Arnie Beswick had the car first.
2. Went to Paul Rossi and became Goldfender.
3. Went to New York (owner/driver unknown) and became Orbiter.
4. Ended up in Canada and owned by James Melsted. Painted red/burgundy (hard to tell from photo).
5. Cary bought it in 82' from J. Melsted.
6. Bought by David Kuntz in 84' and restored back to the way it was when Arnie Beswick drove it.
7. Sold at a Mecum auto auction in 2010 to unknown.

I"m pretty sure thats the timeline/history on the cars travels. If I've got anything out of order feel free to let me know. Pretty cool.

Mike

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Mike;I don't think it sold at Mecum,and Dave still has the car. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IS this DAVID KUNTZ THE SAME as kuntz and craft fame from yrs back? (engine builders) thanks pop
pop/glenda

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I wasn't offended by the non-Ford product. :mrgreen:

That is one bed hauler, I did a double take when I saw it. Any more pictures of it?
Careful your character's showing!

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

mopar 346 wrote:I wasn't offended by the non-Ford product. :mrgreen:

That is one bed hauler, I did a double take when I saw it. Any more pictures of it?
Nope, sorry. Just the black and white photo and the color one with the hauler. If I ever manage to get in contact with Paul Rossi maybe a few more will pop up. Not sure.

Not sure if it's the same Kuntz or not. I never heard of him before starting this search. I mentioned his name to dad and he said he sounded really familiar.

Mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

There was a team of racers engine builders back in the 60's...KUNTZ and CRAFT,they split the sheets many yrs ago,but they are still into racing,,KIETH CRAFT still builds motors and has a couple of dirt cars,,,they both live in the ARKEDELPHIA,ARKANSAS area ,in fact K.CRAFT realy lives in HOLLY-WOOD ,ARK,just outside Arkdelphia,his shop is just about the only thing there besides a stop sign ..15/16 yrs ago I orderd a 8.8 3,73 complete houseing,gears and all from ford but they wanted it delivered to a ford parts dealer,so I called KUNTZ and he accepted it for me,drove to his shop and got it,,this kuntz still has race cars also,but i don't remember if his name is DAVID.WAS looking at an old hot rod mag from the 60's long ago there was an article in mag on KUNTZ and CRAFT being the engine builders of the featured car,think it was a ford but not for sure, just a little more stuff you can put into your dad's ear...best of luck..Pop
pop/glenda

AFX DAVE

Post by AFX DAVE »

Are you the guy looking for info on the Beswick Comet? Do you love in Hartland, Michigan. If so email at prrdave@me.com and I will give you more info on the Car.

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

Yes sir. I sent you an email with a brief (but long) explanation. Hope it all makes sense.

I forgot to metion in the email that I am from Hartland, Mi, but its me.

Thank you
Mike

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

popscomet wrote:There was a team of racers engine builders back in the 60's...KUNTZ and CRAFT,they split the sheets many yrs ago,but they are still into racing,,KIETH CRAFT still builds motors and has a couple of dirt cars,,,they both live in the ARKEDELPHIA,ARKANSAS area ,in fact K.CRAFT realy lives in HOLLY-WOOD ,ARK,just outside Arkdelphia,his shop is just about the only thing there besides a stop sign ..15/16 yrs ago I orderd a 8.8 3,73 complete houseing,gears and all from ford but they wanted it delivered to a ford parts dealer,so I called KUNTZ and he accepted it for me,drove to his shop and got it,,this kuntz still has race cars also,but i don't remember if his name is DAVID.WAS looking at an old hot rod mag from the 60's long ago there was an article in mag on KUNTZ and CRAFT being the engine builders of the featured car,think it was a ford but not for sure, just a little more stuff you can put into your dad's ear...best of luck..Pop
Thank you for that very thorough chunk of info Pops. I will pass it along. I was supposed to see him today but he's got a cold now. Will be seeing him Wed for sure though.

Mike

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

MikeD. wrote:Yes sir. I sent you an email with a brief (but long) explanation. Hope it all makes sense.

I forgot to metion in the email that I am from Hartland, Mi, but its me.

Thank you
Mike
You are from Hartland? You are about 30 minutes North of Milan Dragway. Maybe an hour from my house.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

Get outta town!