Heavenly, Story of a 65 bfx

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

Re: Heavenly, Story of a 64 bfx

Post by loman »

I looked again and closer this time, I guess you guys are right that the last 4 are 3180. I do agree with Ant that you would think with that asking price, the numbers would match up.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Great story!
Man I love that red one for sale! If I sell the house..... :|

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

What is the engine compartment stiffener that connects the shock towers to the firewall out of? It's obviously not original 65 Comet, which is wider, straight and welded in. Is it out of a Mustang?

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hipo comets had a bolt in brace. Maybe Joe or someone will know if it looks correct. I have an aftermarket one that looks just like it.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It looks like the export brace that is common to early falcons and comets. I have the same one on mine.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Comechero65 wrote:It looks like the export brace that is common to early falcons and comets. I have the same one on mine.
Ron
Ron....when you say "export brace" is that the technical term for the brace, or do you mean an aftermarket part? The brace on the car in the link is narrow, curved and bolted in:

[imgImage][/img]

The brace on my 65 Cyclone is wider, straight and welded in:

[imgImage][/img]

My interest in it is that it would allow significantly more room for a power brake booster and double mc. I'd like to install a bolt-in brace if I knew where to get one.

Jim

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Chris Alston's Chassisworks (total control products) has them in aluminum for falcons and comets. Quite sure part# is TCP TWRB-04, my car had one when I purchased it, have since sold but it was very nice and adjustable........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim you will have a lot more room for the double MC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DII-Export- ... c4&vxp=mtr
& chrome
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DII-Export- ... 2b&vxp=mtr

any of the comet/falcon venders will have it too.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Ron....when you say "export brace" is that the technical term for the brace, or do you mean an aftermarket part? The brace on the car in the link is narrow, curved and bolted in.

The brace on my 65 Cyclone is wider, straight and welded in.

My interest in it is that it would allow significantly more room for a power brake booster and double mc. I'd like to install a bolt-in brace if I knew where to get one.

Jim
Hey Jim, apparently Ford added those bolt-in braces for Mustangs destined for European export. For what reason who knows? Crappier roads? Shelby added them to his GT350 Mustangs and Mercury added them to Hipo 65 Comets.
So they got the name "export brace" because of that.
I added one to my car and your right it adds a lot of room for servicing the dual MC and other things.
I got the DII unit that Johnny linked above. I drilled out the spot welds for the original braces and added a reinforcement plate to the top of the cowl where it bolts.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I got mine for the wagon from MACS,like eveyone stated,the HiPo 271HP 289s had them! Mustang ones WILL NOT fit Comets! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Ron....when you say "export brace" is that the technical term for the brace, or do you mean an aftermarket part? The brace on the car in the link is narrow, curved and bolted in:

Jim
[/quote]

The bolt in brace as seen on that car is refered to as an 'export brace'. Same as Joe, John and mine. It was originated for the export mustangs. Someone created the same brace for the falcon/comets for the same reasons. It's narrower than the factory brace but just as strong if not stronger. And it's removable and allows better access to the engine and brake mc.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for the export brace info, guys! I'm ordering the DII unit.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

As an update to the story.
I had another conversation with Dennis, he lights up everytime we talk about those days.
I showed him the pics from the HEMMINGS add and yes same car but there have been too many cars
under his bridge to remember any details, besides other than the interior the car has been cleaned up paint wise.
We talked about the 2 4s that are on it now and that when they got the car it had Webbers on it.
Also an interesting note, Ken was not the first guy to drive the Heavenly Comet, The dealership had a couple a brothers
running the car at first, The Spoon Brothers. According to Dennis they didn't really know what they were doing.
Dennis actually worked next door at the GM dealership as a wrench,,,,,
(Told me his daily driver was a 63, 406 4speed though so he did have an anchor with Fords) (another side note so I don't forget, is the Ford and GM dealerships were side by side and the buildings are still standing.They are actually across the street from our RV park so I will get pics and post them at some point.)
,,,,,and introduced Ken to Sam Priestly the Ford dealership owner, a deal was struck and Ken became the wrench, driver of the
Heavenly Comet, Being Ken and Dennis were buddies, both were wrenches and they knew good people, Heavenly became a happen car on the local circuit.
I hope to get to talk to Ken this summer to firm up the stories. Dennis is also going to tell him about car being for sale and maybe he'll sign on and give us his own input.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks for the update Fred! I just love these kind of storys. Maybe you should contact the present owner & tell him about everything & tell him to keep track of the car if it sells. maybe the car & driver can reunite someday for a 1/4 mile or 2! :D the car is branded in my brain now like cosmic comet :lol:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The motorcycle shop used to be the home of Sam Priestly Mercury and the Heavenly Comet.
Located at 1540 highway 101( formally Hillside street) Oceanside Ca.
Next door to the left was the GM dealership where Dennis worked as a mechanic and also had a deal to drive Oldsmobiles at the strip.
Dennis eventually became the owner of the GM dealership.
Dennis and Ken became great friends and travelled together to the SoCal tracks.
They still race today as RC Racing. When they decided to race together, there was no way Ken was gonna race a GM
and Dennis wasn't gonna run a Ford so they settled on Mopars. Ken fabs the cars, Dennis builds motors.
Vid is march '09 Vegas, Dennis in the black T-shirt, his son driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_IC0CZu2Kg
They are now based in Southern Idaho, there home track is Firebird in Bosie where I hope to get to a race this summer as well as meet Ken.
I'll get a pic to post in the thread.
Fred

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about