Replace power brake booster

The Big Comets
Boxerhips

Replace power brake booster

Post by Boxerhips »

I have looked in the usual places online (Advance, Autozone, Summit) and cant find one that will work.

I dont know that is it not inop, but I will say I took the small cap off the vac line that goes into the booster and it read "20" on my vacuum gauge.

Does 20 sound correct of a 390?

poboyjo65

Re: Replace power brake booster

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea 20 sounds about right to me. I dont think you can get an original booster. ''ABS PowerBrake'' is the name of a company that makes a thin one with a dual reservoir MC (front & back brakes) that is a popular upgrade. the dual reservoir is a lot safer than the factory single bowl MC. if you develop a leak you will still have some brakes on which ever front or back that isn't leaking. If you go to their site it is on or near page 80.
Johno

Boxerhips

Post by Boxerhips »

Are you saying I cant get one that is like the original?

I do understand the upgrade to a dual system, but I need to wait at this time.

So my option is remove the booster or replace what I have with an exact size unit. I have to imagine that there is at least one ford unit that will fit.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Boxerhips wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:54 pm
Are you saying I cant get one that is like the original?

I do understand the upgrade to a dual system, but I need to wait at this time.

So my option is remove the booster or replace what I have with an exact size unit. I have to imagine that there is at least one ford unit that will fit.
maybe there is one for the 66 & later cars. Guess I was thinking mostly about the smaller earlier cars,but I'm still doubtful, dont remember hearing anyone on here getting one.

Might not work right if you remove the booster,I think the MC bore is different .

Maybe caveman or some body on here with a 66-67 can help ? ,,,, what year it is?
Johno

Boxerhips

Post by Boxerhips »

Groover

Post by Groover »

I think Cardone will rebuild them for you, but you have to send it in and wait for it to come back: https://www.cardone.com/

Otherwise find a one in a junk yard (good or bad) as a core and send that one in for repair. It's not cheap, but I think John's correct. Mostly unavailable due to lack of cores. People keep throwing them out instead of saving the core.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I went with a dual MC bowl, got it from Dan over at Chockostang http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/
Give him a call, he’ll help you out.
Motor Safe,
Lee