What's Wrong with the 66-67 Comets? (Rant)

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

What's Wrong with the 66-67 Comets? (Rant)

Post by Maine Pilot »

Not knowing about the rest of you, but I receive Comet/Falcon parts catalogs from several vendors such as MAC's and others. Whenever I'm looking up a part I need, I'll find all sorts of goodies for Comets thru 1965 and '68--onward, but seldom nothing for my '66 Caliente. There's just a big void.

The manager of the body shop that's doing some work on it has told me he's at a loss trying to find such things as replacement glass, window moldings, trim, carpet and other parts for it. I try to help by looking up the parts in these mail order catalogs, but seem to strike out.

OK, the production run of the '66-67 Comets wasn't that great, but considering there were Fairlanes also produced that (allegedly) would share many of the same parts. Where are these parts? One would (like to) think that Ford, (the same with GM vehicles), would have standardized many of the parts over the years to fit many of their models such as switches, heater controls, A/C units, knobs, rubber gaskets, etc., but it doesn't seem that way.

Sometimes, I feel as if I have a "white elephant" or orphan as a car. It makes me feel intimidated to drive it, knowing if it's involved in an even minor accident, it may be considered as "totaled" as parts may not be available to fix it. On the other hand, the scarcity of parts should make our cars more valuable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For now, it seems the only resource for parts are the junk yard, (excuse me, I meant "Recyclable Resource Yards") of which are of unknown condition and reliablity.

Having known these problems, perhaps I should have chosen a more popular vehicle of a different vintage, but damn it, I do like my Comet!

Anyone else share similar thoughts?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

popscomet

Re: What's Wrong with the 66-67 Comets? (Rant)

Post by popscomet »

HOLLAR at BALDY ,he just redone his and it's better then brand new,,,he may be of some help ...send him a PM if need be ...good luck POP
pop/glenda

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

You gotta check out 66-67 Fairlane parts. Many of the parts you mention like glass, mouldings, heater boxes, switches, ect... are shared with the Fairlane. If you get an Auto Krafters catalog they have the common parts designated by a little Mercury Man head. I am the president of the Fairlane Club of America http://www.fairlaneclubofamerica.com and we support the Fairlane like Comets. We have many members who own '66-'67 Comets and have parts. When it comes to sheet metal, grille parts, tail lights, etc... you will need Mercury parts.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Doug:

Thanks for the info. I had seen your club before while searching for Comet information, but frankly the $35 cost for accessing the Fairlane Club did put me off. At this point it may be worthwhile as many parts are elusive.

I will see about getting the Auto Krafter's catalog--thought I had it, but it turns out I didn't.

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Main Pilot, I hear ya but what about $35 put you off? I always tell people that what you get for $35 from a FCA membership is a better deal than a bad diner meal, less than 3 packs of cigarettes, a case and a half of beer, a trip to Wal*Mart for milk and you leave with $35 worth of un-necessary items. The biggest deal is our club magazine. So much tech, great articles of member's cars, etc... I'll make you a deal. email me your address and I'll send you a couple back issues of the club magazine. Take a look and tell me the $35 isn't worth the magazine alone. We have a lot of Comet coverage but as a Comet owner I must warn you that there is a lot of Fairlane and Torino coverage as well. prez@fairlaneclubofamerica.com

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Impressive response Doug. PM on the way.

I've used the PM only a couple of times on this forum, but never had any responses, so I'm not sure if I'm doing things right. If you don't receive the PM, please say something in this thread.

Thanks,

Bob

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Some never check for messages on this forum till you tell them. I always check. But that's just me.
Ron

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

COMETS of all years [not just 66-67] have ALWAYS been the Bastard Step Child in the eyes of restoration parts companies! Luckily,many similar FoMoCo products parts interchange or are close enough to be able to be used!!It just takes extra effort to find which parts interchange or are useable!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

fairlaniac wrote:Main Pilot, I hear ya but what about $35 put you off? I always tell people that what you get for $35 from a FCA membership is a better deal than a bad diner meal, less than 3 packs of cigarettes, a case and a half of beer, a trip to Wal*Mart for milk and you leave with $35 worth of un-necessary items. The biggest deal is our club magazine. So much tech, great articles of member's cars, etc... I'll make you a deal. email me your address and I'll send you a couple back issues of the club magazine. Take a look and tell me the $35 isn't worth the magazine alone. We have a lot of Comet coverage but as a Comet owner I must warn you that there is a lot of Fairlane and Torino coverage as well. prez@fairlaneclubofamerica.com

Thanks,
Found your message (I always check). A few magazines are on their way to you. Enjoy! If you are near Kingsport, TH next week, the Fairlane club of America is having their National Meet at the Meadowview. You'll see a number of sweet Comets there.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i was at the kingsport show i only live a half mile away from meadowview convention center. i also have a 66 caliente, im still looking for another one like it. 390 4 speed,buckets,tach on top of dash, i dont have any way of knowing how many were made with these options. i dont know if its the only one that exists or if it was fairly common.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Fryedaddy..........you wouldn't happen to work at the Eastman plant in Kingsport, would you? I retired from the Eastman plant in Columbia, SC?
Jim

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

no i worked at the church hill glass plant,about 15 miles west of kingsport for 32 years
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

427xr7

Post by 427xr7 »

Please see my recent post in the classified forum. 67 parts for both a hard top and a sedan. (Two four eight) 867-3522

BTW, is the 427 registry article in the Fairlaner Magazine recent? I can't read the date at the bottom of the page.

427xr7

Post by 427xr7 »

I just parted out a West Coast 67 Caliente Hardtop. I have beautiful fenders, doors, full quarter panels, deck lids, a hood, interior parts, etc.
I have a 66 Fairlane GT all or parts, too.

Located near Detroit.

248-867-352Two

BTW, what is the month / year of the Fairlane/Comet registry article seen earlier in this thread?

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

427xr7 wrote: BTW, what is the month / year of the Fairlane/Comet registry article seen earlier in this thread?
It was the May/June 2015 issue of the Fairlaner
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd