66 Caliente Door Arm Rests

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

66 Caliente Door Arm Rests

Post by Maine Pilot »

I was able to obtain a '66 Comet sales brochure. It stated that new for '66 the Calientes had arm rests with built-in courtesy lights, but mine don't.

I'm thinking that possibly the door panels/arm rests were replaced or that not all Calientes came with them.

Can anyone help clear this up?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Lou's Comet

Re: 66 Caliente Door Arm Rests

Post by Lou's Comet »

Maine Pilot wrote:I was able to obtain a '66 Comet sales brochure. It stated that new for '66 the Calientes had arm rests with built-in courtesy lights, but mine don't.

I'm thinking that possibly the door panels/arm rests were replaced or that not all Calientes came with them.

Can anyone help clear this up?
Looking at the brochure the Caliente is the only Comet with the built in lights in the arm rest in 66. None of the other Comets had these. The Calientes also had a different inside door handle than the rest of the Comets. Does your car have the Caliente specific inside door handle? Does your door panel style (stitching/trim) match the Caliente style in the brochure?

I would think the panels/arm rests have been changed at sometime over the years. If the factory did some but not all they would have to be selective with the inside door handles and panels. Not saying it wasn't a factory mistake but I do doubt it.

If it was at the factory they would have to also change the rear side panels too or they would not match.

I think at. Some time over the years someone changed them.

Lou

Maine Pilot

Re: 66 Caliente Door Arm Rests

Post by Maine Pilot »

Not having another Caliente to compare it to, other than the sales brochure, it's hard to say if the door panels are original. I'll see if I can post a couple of pictures of my car's door panels. They all seem to match.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else