Hole in transmission hump?

The Big Comets
skoker

Hole in transmission hump?

Post by skoker »

My '66 Cyclone GT came disassembled (no engine or tranny), and as I'm replacing rusted out areas of the floorboards and firewall I'm coming up with some questions. For example, there is a 1-inch diameter hole in the lower firewall, near the top driver's side of the transmission hump -- can somebody please tell me what this hole is for? The car would have had a C6 automatic tranny, in case it matters.

skoker

Re: Hole in transmission hump?

Post by skoker »

I borrowed this pic from another user to show where the hole is that I'm asking about. (Thanks Baldy!)
Attachments
firewall.jpg
firewall.jpg (176.08 KiB) Viewed 3131 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That looks like a speedometer cable exiting that hole?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

skoker

Post by skoker »

I also thought it might be the speedometer cable, but there's a different (smaller) hole near where your right heel rests below the gas pedal that I've been told is for the speedo cable. Was I misinformed about that?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

skoker wrote:I also thought it might be the speedometer cable, but there's a different (smaller) hole near where your right heel rests below the gas pedal that I've been told is for the speedo cable. Was I misinformed about that?
I don't know on my '64 it goes out right next to the steering column kinda between the brake pedal and gas pedal (up higher) but a '66 is totally a different body style than mine, so someone will be able to tell you for sure.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

skoker

Post by skoker »

Is it possible this hole is where wires for the neutral safety switch are supposed to go? I imagine those wires might be a bit beefy, and they would run to the starter solenoid inside the front right fender near the battery. Does anyone know for sure if that's the case? Any other ideas?

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

I'm not 100% but is your car a three on the tree trans with the overdrive? That might be the overdrive wiring? I'm trying to look through my documentation to find it.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

chances are it was nothing,,,it had a rubber plug in it to start with...…..jmo pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yrs back,,ford put holes in the hump ,,you would peel back the carpet,,pop out a rubber plug...you then could get to the upper bell house bolts and on the pass side there was a obb long rubber plug that let you adjust the bands on a 3speed AT....
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Most likely the speedo cable. that's about where a 65's speedo cable exits. .where it exits is not going to look like the back side of what you see on the inside because it goes thru the torque box. there is another hole for the parking brake cable.
Johno

skoker

Post by skoker »

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Not sure of the answer but with my car I may not need that hole for anything.