66 Comet Radio

The Big Comets
jag218

66 Comet Radio

Post by jag218 »

I installed electric power steering in my car and as a result there isn't enough room for the stock radio to fit in the stock location. It's very close, but the steering mechanism extends a little too far to right (probably less than an inch). Has anyone found an aftermarket radio that fits and is narrower and possibly not as deep as the stock unit. I've search many of the aftermarket web sites, but specific info is pretty limited.

Jims65cyclone

Re: 66 Comet Radio

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Afraid I can't help you with the radio question, but what EPS unit did you install? I plan to install EPS in mine, and I have access to a unit out of a Prius at a really good price.

Jim

jag218

Post by jag218 »

I fabricated it for about $200. If you do a search for 'cheap electric power steering' you should find several youtube videos that detail the build for Falcons, Mustangs ect.. I used a Toyota Corolla unit and adapted it to the steering box and stock shaft. Two wire hook up. Pretty simple, it works great and is fail safe so if you lose power you still have manual steering.

jag218

Post by jag218 »

Check Youtube 'electric power steering for $100 by waid. He still has several videos up that detail the build.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

PM sent. Don't want to hijack your thread. :roll:

Jim