Discerning Brake Size (HELP!)

The Big Comets
Spumoni

Discerning Brake Size (HELP!)

Post by Spumoni »

Hey everyone! So I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm wanting to go ahead and order brakes all around for my 66 Caliente, but I'm struggling to figure out what size drums/shoes/hardware I need. I figured It'd be a relatively simple process but now I'm a bit stumped. From the looks of it I have the options of a 9 or 10 inch drum/shoes, and between the two there are various sizes which I'm assuming are width. I've looked my Comet over with no luck hoping there may be a stamp or marking stating what size it may be, but with no luck. Can anybody tell me what I need, or am I able to run either size so long as I replace everything within that correct size? Thanks!

SASSY

Re: Discerning Brake Size (HELP!)

Post by SASSY »

If it was me I'd pulling the shoes/pads out and taking them with me to the parts store. Shoes have quite a fitment range, you might find they're in stock.
If your ordering, measure and be sure,,, Henry and the kids loved to use stuff up so lots a mid years changes too.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I changed the front to disc on our 66, I want to say the backs were 10”, but may be wrong (this was a few years back). You can pull a hub and measure, or do what Fred mentioned.
I bought all my brake stuff from Dan at chockostang, that guy is a walking parts catalog, especially for old Mustangs and Comets in my case.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

I've considered bumping the fronts up to disc for the safety and performance increase. Do any of the sites out there sell kits piece by piece? I was looking around the other day at more affordable options but even conversions like the Granada swap seem to be up there with some of the more budget friendly options. I'm not trying to pinch pennies, and safety is top priority, but dropping that much at once isn't always an easy option on my wallet.

I appreciate the lead on 10" rears! I'll bust out the tape measure tonight and go harass some local parts stores this weekend :lol:

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I don’t know what your budget is, but you should try giving Dan a call and see what he can put together for you. I’m wanting to say my complete disc brake kit including new rear drums and shoes etc, was around $600 shipped. That was a few years ago, not sure what his prices are today.
http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/
Motor Safe,
Lee