Wiper Motor Replacement

The Big Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Wiper Motor Replacement

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:27 am
Thanks Tom, this is the route I’m going to take. Removing the original wiper/washer wiring will be a good start to clearing out the wiring mess that is in my car.

Before I pull the trigger on the harness you linked to on ebay… did that harness fit in your Comet or did you have to lengthen it?
Jim
Jim I posted this link a page back,(before you were interested in it.lol) but it is about how to set up this ebay system that Tom mentioned.
https://online.fliphtml5.com/wtdj/qtqr/#p=2
there are other similar how -to articles on it that may have additional info if needed. it's a very popular upgrade
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks John, I went through all the links you sent earlier, which is partly what convinced my stubborn @ss to switch over. I printed the instructions for future reference and ordered the wiring harness this morning. :)

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

The wiring harness was long enough. The only thing I needed to do was strap the intermittent controller on top of the steering column. I'm sure you will be happy with this set up :D
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim another good thing about the truck wiper set up is there were millions of them sold,so getting parts will always be easier than comet parts. you can get a rebuilt motor fairly cheap at most any parts house,;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/re ... otor&pos=0

No more than I drive in the rain i was happy with one speed (intermittent gone bad) & the footpump which just a tap of the pedal makes the wipers swipe ,a hard tap will squirt washer fluid but a light tap gets you one swipe & no fluid. this seems even better sometimes than intermittent ,when it drizzles & stops a lot you can just tap it when you need it instead of constantly trying to set the wiper speed. but since I need to redo my firewall insulation & change the radio ,paint the dash top,basically a giant snowball of work that I need to do,but since it will get all the interior torn out I'm going to have to decide soon. but I keep thinking it'd be nice to have both! :)
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

John, That's exactly the motor I was looking at getting. The wiring harness should be here Monday. I plan on making this work on the bench before putting it in the car. I wonder if the connector for the new harness will fit through the existing hole in the firewall.

I just tore out the original wiper wiring...kinda a mess under the dash with a few wires going nowhere. There's even a light bulb in a socket hanging under there. :) I want to put some time into clearing some of the mess before I add the new harness. Lot's of fun!

Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm
Jim another good thing about the truck wiper set up is there were millions of them sold,so getting parts will always be easier than comet parts. you can get a rebuilt motor fairly cheap at most any parts house,;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/re ... otor&pos=0
You’d think… a replacement wiper motor for the Comet is available today, the newer one, for a 79 Bronco, will be about a week. Not a big deal since I’m not in a hurry.

The wiring harness arrived. Looks like it would work great if the wiper motor is under the dash…mine is in the engine compartment mounted on the firewall. This is still an improvement. I’ll just have to hide more “stuff” under the dash.

https://online.fliphtml5.com/wtdj/qtqr/#p=5 These instructions are great but I'm still not clear on how/where to get power to the switch. There are no orange-white wires in the harness, the closest thing is a blue-orange. I’m a little gun shy after burning up the previous set up. Would love to hear from anyone who has installed this to see how, and where, they connected power (not a hurry since I don’t have a motor yet).

Thanks,
Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey Jim, when you do install the new setup, if you would, post pics, or steps on how you did it, and how it’s working for you.
Would appreciate it, I’m thinking I’ll be doing this with our 66, and might be some other folks out there interested to.

Thanks, and Motor Safe.
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is a 79bronco diagram.looks like both types of wipers .colors are abbreviated ,a lot more aggravating. might not help but it wont hurt.

Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here is a copy of a 1979 truck wiring diagram for a 2 speed motor.

You will see that there are 2 feeds. Orange/white from power source to a black/green on switch for the wiper and a white/black from power source to red on switch for the washer. I combined the wiper and the washer feed to one power source.I think this diagram will help you. This is what I used to help me hook it up :D
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

tomb22 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:08 pm
Here is a copy of a 1979 truck wiring diagram for a 2 speed motor.

You will see that there are 2 feeds. Orange/white from power source to a black/green on switch for the wiper and a white/black from power source to red on switch for the washer. I combined the wiper and the washer feed to one power source.I think this diagram will help you. This is what I used to help me hook it up :D
Tom
Thanks Tom,that's a lot better one & even shows the plugs. Be cool to colorize the wires ! I may do that some night when I get bored. :)

New question; I wonder what the gear ratio is on these? will I gain wiper speed with the 2sp truck motor? I guess I could get in my old 77 truck & take a video of it & the comet with wipers on to compare timing. :lol: I remember on the way to PF in the comet going thru Knoxville in the pouring rain & I was wishing they were faster!
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:32 pm
Hey Jim, when you do install the new setup, if you would, post pics, or steps on how you did it, and how it’s working for you.
Would appreciate it, I’m thinking I’ll be doing this with our 66, and might be some other folks out there interested to.

Thanks, and Motor Safe.
Lee
I'll take pics when I get it working on the bench to show wire connections. I'm pretty sure I will need to extend the wires from the wiper motor so they reach through the firewall and also need to play with the switch (it's smaller) to accommodate the original knob.

Tom, That diagram is perfect and just what I needed. Thanks!

Now all I really need is a wiper motor and some time. :)

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim can you look at the wires on the switch & governor that you bought & tell me the color of the wire,,,in the diagram it is abbreviated BK-GR, is that black & grey or black & green? I'm going to colorize the wires to make it easier on the brain.

also there is a GR-BK to the pump. Gray & black?
thanks
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 pm
Jim can you look at the wires on the switch & governor that you bought & tell me the color of the wire,,,in the diagram it is abbreviated BK-GR, is that black & grey or black & green? I'm going to colorize the wires to make it easier on the brain.

also there is a GR-BK to the pump. Gray & black?
thanks
BK-GR is black-green

I don't have wires to the pump so can't say what GR-BK is. Below is a pic of connector. You can see the wire colors don't exactly match the diagram
https://postimg.cc/5X6BL42N
Last edited by Boss/Cyclone on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make picture visible

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

New question; I wonder what the gear ratio is on these? will I gain wiper speed with the 2sp truck motor? I guess I could get in my old 77 truck & take a video of it & the comet with wipers on to compare timing. :lol: I remember on the way to PF in the comet going thru Knoxville in the pouring rain & I was wishing they were faster!

I went out and checked my wiper speed. The slow speed is pretty slow. Would work well for a steady soft rain. The high speed is not as fast as my Expedition's wipers. It would not work well in a very heavy down pour, but would work in a moderate down pour. That should leave you all guessing :lol:
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I have to correct my last reply :x When I checked the wiper speeds my battery was not up to snuff. I couldn't start the car so after charging the battery and starting the car I checked the wiper speeds again.
I think you will be happy with the speed John. The fast speed is pretty close to my 2014 Expedition fast wiper speed :lol:
tom
tomb's 65