Wiper Motor Replacement

The Big Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Wiper Motor Replacement

Post by poboyjo65 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:48 pm
Johno, you have a pic showing the electrical hook up on that switch you posted?
got this one for a 65. not sure if the color codes would be the same for 66 but could be. I think I have diagram somewhere for the 65 intermittent type but its hiding from me right now. :roll:
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks John. The wiring diagram helps solve other mysteries for me also. Where did you get this diagram? I’d like to get the 1966 version (a shop manual should be here Thursday). Unfortunately, I can’t see the details clearly for the wiper motor symbols. Also, is that a fuse in the wiper switch? If so, looks like I’m on the hunt for a replacement switch (probably am anyway).

Even though the replacement motor ran for a while, spinning counter clockwise, I still think I had it connected wrong. Before losing power I had:
Car Blue = 12v to Red on motor
Car Orange/Black = ground (0 ohms to ground) to Black on motor
Car Black/white (separate wire with spade lug) to White on motor (connected based on connection to original motor)
Car Black (no conductivity to ground) to Blue on motor

Tom confirmed in an earlier post the motor connections should be:
Blue = high speed
White = park
Red = +12 volts
Black = external ground

A good way to end the year…playing with the car and trying to solve puzzles.

Thanks for everyone’s input, have a great New Years!
Jim
Last edited by JimsHot66 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I talked to my friend Doug, he’s fairly knowledgeable on 66 Comets, he has totally restored 3 of them, and they’re very nice (see my thread with his cars). Anyway, he’s 99% sure all the 66s had either 2 speed or intermittent wipers. The switch we have on our cars, if yours is like mine is intermittent, otherwise it’s just a 2 speed switch with a knob.
He said they (the intermittent) have a governor on the driver side shock tower, and it’s vacuum/electrical operated. The switches apparently have a fuse in the fuse box.
He mentioned that a lot of folks removed the governor’s cause they were a pita with issues, etc.

Hope this helps some, I know it educated me a little more with my issue.

HAPPY NEW YEAR back at you and to all.

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:55 am
I talked to my friend Doug, he’s fairly knowledgeable on 66 Comets, he has totally restored 3 of them, and they’re very nice (see my thread with his cars). Anyway, he’s 99% sure all the 66s had either 2 speed or intermittent wipers. The switch we have on our cars, if yours is like mine is intermittent, otherwise it’s just a 2 speed switch with a knob.
He said they have a governor on the driver side shock tower, and it’s vacuum/electrical operated. The switches apparently have a fuse in the fuse box.
He mentioned that a lot of folks removed the governor’s cause they were a pita with issues, etc.

Hope this helps some, I know it educated me a little more with my issue.

HAPPY NEW YEAR back at you and to all.

Motor Safe,
Lee
OK ,that's what I thought when I saw the little knob. I guy on here named kevin did a lot of research on these & I think he bought several switches even a 66 one & he said they were a bad design,that cracks & loses vacuum. I just wasn't sure if 66's were alike with 65's. If you want intermittent wipers you can use the switch & module from a 73-79 ford truck. easy upgrade & works perfect. I use to see a guy selling them periodically on some of the ford truck pages on Fbook.
JimsHot66 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 am
Thanks John. The wiring diagram helps solve other mysteries for me also. Where did you get this diagram? I’d like to get the 1966 version (a shop manual should be here Thursday). Unfortunately, I can’t see the details clearly for the wiper motor symbols. Also, is that a fuse in the wiper switch? If so, looks like I’m on the hunt for a replacement switch (probably am anyway).

Even though the replacement motor ran for a while, spinning counter clockwise, I still think I had it connected wrong. Before losing power I had:
Car Blue = 12v to Red on motor
Car Orange/Black = ground (0 ohms to ground) to Black on motor
Car Black/white (separate wire with spade lug) to White on motor (connected based on connection to original motor)
Car Black (no conductivity to ground) to Black on motor

Tom confirmed in an earlier post the motor connections should be:
Blue = high speed
White = park
Red = +12 volts
Black = external ground

A good way to end the year…playing with the car and trying to solve puzzles.

Thanks for everyone’s input, have a great New Years!
Jim
I hope your shop manual is better than the 65,which doesn't have wiring diagrams in it. I cant remember where I got this one but I can see it fine on a desktop. I see what looks like the same ones on ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362610671265?h ... SwNphWXarb

I cropped & blew it up ,hopefully you can see it now;

Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks John, the new pic is a lot better. I’m still confused on how to wire the motor considering the measurements I took on the car. I might have time to pull the switch tomorrow, otherwise it’ll be a few days before I get back to this.
Thanks again!
Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Sorry if I'm torturing everyone with these posts... I just pulled the switch. As best I can see the part # is C6GB 17A553. Found the listing below on ebay (I don't trust ebay). The description lists a different manufacturer part #, but the photo looks like the correct part. Anyone dealt with this company, classic-nos-parts? Any good sources for these hard to find parts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373716667154?c ... gLnI_D_BwE

Thanks,
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim that dog wont hunt. those intermittent systems were junk from day one.Like mentioned earlier ,everyone gets away from them, thats why no one has chimed in saying ''mine works great!'' .& another vacuum leak waiting to happen to mess with engine performance.

you'd be better off putting a 2 sp switch & motor on it.

Here is the best option for intermittent wipers.also some good pics of the 1 & 2 sp motors compared to 70s truck w. motors.
https://online.fliphtml5.com/wtdj/qtqr/#p=2

search on here & find most anything you need if you look long enough,plenty of threads about it,here's a good one with lots of links & info. the guy name Kevin that I mentioned posted this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15477&hilit=windshield+wiper+switch
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks John. All of the intermittent wiper stuff has been removed from my car. Single speed wipers is all I’m hoping to get.

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Did you check your fuse under the dash, never know. I was perusing eBay and spotted the 66 vert for sale, had a pic of the engine bay and the governor on the driver side shock tower. I know mine is gone for sure. I tried to screen shot just the engine but it comes out to large of a file to add pic here, so here’s the link. If it doesn’t work look at 66 comets in cars and trucks for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234357446108?h ... SwaKJhzf6m
Motor Safe,
Lee

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Fuses under the dash are good and all the intermittent wiper stuff is definitely gone on my car. Based on the wiring diagram John posted earlier, there is a 6A fuse in the switch that I'm betting is blown. I've removed the switch, just haven't had time to play with it yet. I do get voltage to the switch connector when the key is on. I'm hunting for a new switch since a used one might have the same issue that mine does. I also need to verify the wiring, particularly the black wire (ground?) to the wiper motor.

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

In the diagram it looks likes the ground comes off the wiper motor to the brake pedal support bracket for sure.
Motor Safe,
Lee

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Just to update on this wiper motor saga… The switch has a 6 amp circuit breaker (rectangular metal box) which failed. I replaced it with an inline fuse. Connected the second reman motor to what I thought was the correct connections; fuse blew. Connected wires like the first motor, which ran for 10 mins with several power cycles before failing, and the fuse blew right away again. Checking things at the switch with the fuse removed and the wires to the motor started to smoke…a lot.

Returned the motor and got a refund, limiting my losses. I’m not sure if these reman motors are bad, or if I’m killing them. I’m not willing to try a third time and risk burning up any more wiring. I’m old enough to listen to folks with experience (“Jim, that dog won’t hunt”) and am going to look into some other alternatives. Since working wipers aren't a big priority for this car (they didn't work when I bought it) I'm going to put this on the back burner for now.

Thanks for all the inputs! It’s been a good learning experience for me (and I now have a shop manual :) ).
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I went down the road with the 70's truck switch and that setup works like a modern day wiper. Found the whole setup on ebay. You just buy the 2 speed motor that bolts right into the wiper mechanism install the wiper switch that has a plug which plugs into a module for the intermittent operation and that was it other than feeding it a hot 12 volts. The stock knob even fastened to the switch. You turn the knob to the right for 2 different speeds and to the left for intermittent speeds. Wasn't a big deal :D Just saying
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Checked out ebay and here is the exact set up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393808134107?h ... SwhCBghMIY

and you can add windshield washer to your car also. If you push the switch in it makes a connection to run the pump. :D
Tom
tomb's 65

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Thanks Tom, this is the route I’m going to take. Removing the original wiper/washer wiring will be a good start to clearing out the wiring mess that is in my car.

Before I pull the trigger on the harness you linked to on ebay… did that harness fit in your Comet or did you have to lengthen it?
Jim