The Big Comets
JimsHot66

Re: Wiper Motor Replacement

Post by JimsHot66 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:28 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm
Jim another good thing about the truck wiper set up is there were millions of them sold,so getting parts will always be easier than comet parts. you can get a rebuilt motor fairly cheap at most any parts house,;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/re ... otor&pos=0
You’d think… a replacement wiper motor for the Comet is available today, the newer one, for a 79 Bronco, will be about a week. Not a big deal since I’m not in a hurry.

Jim
Wow... this must be a popular upgrade... there are literally no reman wiper motors (p/n 40-258) available at this time :( . Even Cardone, the supplier is "return and rebuild" only.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 pm
JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:28 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm
Jim another good thing about the truck wiper set up is there were millions of them sold,so getting parts will always be easier than comet parts. you can get a rebuilt motor fairly cheap at most any parts house,;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/re ... otor&pos=0
You’d think… a replacement wiper motor for the Comet is available today, the newer one, for a 79 Bronco, will be about a week. Not a big deal since I’m not in a hurry.

Jim
Wow... this must be a popular upgrade... there are literally no reman wiper motors (p/n 40-258) available at this time :( . Even Cardone, the supplier is "return and rebuild" only.

Jim
Thanks! you just saved me a trip down there.only 3-4 blocks away but I was going to drop in there & order & pay for one today! so I called & she said she wont know until monday if she can get one. guess I already know the answer now. I got a buddy a few miles away with a lot full of old trucks,guess I'll have to go see him.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 pm

Jim
yea soon as I opened my big mouth about how plentiful they will always be. :roll: But with as many of these old trucks that are being restored by young guys sooner or later they will be repopped I would think.

I wonder if the 66 comet motor will fit on a 65? catalog pics look the same. Fryedaddy said his was super fast,that makes me want one. :lol:
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

[/quote]
yea soon as I opened my big mouth about how plentiful they will always be. :roll: But with as many of these old trucks that are being restored by young guys sooner or later they will be repopped I would think.

I wonder if the 66 comet motor will fit on a 65? catalog pics look the same. Fryedaddy said his was super fast,that makes me want one. :lol:
[/quote]

Yea John, it's all your fault. :) I'll have a used wiper motor from a 79 truck, hopefully this weekend. The guy on ebay that I bought the wiring harness from has been real helpful in getting me a motor.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I have been checking out sites & saw this about motors with the wrong wiring being sold,makes me wonder the ones that gave you so much trouble,,, if you were getting these or if they were from same supplier with same mistakes,read the discription ,but also read the review at the very bottom;
https://www.npdlink.com/product/motor-w ... 081/200453
Johno

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm
Jim I have been checking out sites & saw this about motors with the wrong wiring being sold,makes me wonder the ones that gave you so much trouble,,, if you were getting these or if they were from same supplier with same mistakes,read the discription ,but also read the review at the very bottom;
https://www.npdlink.com/product/motor-w ... 081/200453
The motors I had did not have connectors, just stripped wires. Cardone was the supplier/rebuilder. I'm not sure if they were faulty (for sure the first one was) or something went bad with my switch/wiring. Either way, I'm starting fresh with a 91 Bronco wiring harness/switch and a 79 F Series motor.

Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Just to follow up so you guys don't think I'm a flake. :) Work and life have kept me from spending any time on the wiper motor replacement.

I did get a wiper motor from a 79 Bronco. I haven't bench tested this yet but the harness from the switch to the motor seems to line up. There is no connection for the black/white wire so I need to play with that. Bigger concern is the output shaft on the 79 Bronco wiper motor is smaller diameter than the original 66 motor. I need sort that out since it coming loose while in use would be a problem. The switch diameter is also smaller so it needs to be modified to accept the original knob...shouldn't be a big deal. I'll also need to cut the harness to feed it through the firewall.

This week I'm taking my car to a local Mustang expert to upgrade the brakes, tune the carb, and replace the fuel line from tank to carb (it leaks intermittently and has the fuel filter under the driver door). Between my job, the car being away and life in general, I don't expect to get to the wipers until March.

Thanks,
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm
There is no connection for the black/white wire so I need to play with that.

Thanks,
Jim

I think that is for the washer pump Jim . What year is your truck switch/module? My switch/combo is from an 84,& it looks like yours. I have found a different diagram from an 85 , but both early & late diagrams show a bk-w wire going to the washer pump.

this 85 diagram matches mine better than the 79 diagram. it only has 6 wires like mine vs the 79's 7 wires. 85 has only one power wire on the diagram where the 79 shows 2

also the way they are oriented in the plug connector is like mine ( & yours too I think).

edit; this is how I plan to wire mine (1985 switch) so the foot swiper still works ;

Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey Jim, definitely understandable about life and the priority of things, I’m in the same situation. Get to it as time permits, it ain’t going nowhere 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I bought my switch/delay/wiring harness off ebay. It's from a 87-91 truck/Bronco. It's different from the 79 schematic I have a copy of. Many of the wire colors were different, and the switch only has 6 contacts instead of 7. There is a bridge built into the switch that connects one of the terminals to where the missing terminal should be. I spent a couple of nights tracing wires and continuity testing, and I modified the 79 schematic to represent the 87-91 harness. The main difference is that I don't think my harness or switch were originally intended for a washer pump even though the switch has the push in function for the washer. By changing a couple of connections I should be able to make the pump work when the switch is pressed, though. My harness doesn't have the BK/W 941 terminal, but it doesn't use the R 296 terminal as a power-in, either. It just has the one BK/GR 297 power-in terminal. The R 63 terminal is bridged on the switch to what would have been the BK/W 941 terminal, had it been there. The 941 terminal connects to the unused 296 terminal when you press the washer button, so I'll connect my washer to 296. I'm using a generic washer tank/pump off ebay that has red and black wires, so that's what shows in the modified schematic. I didn't change the wire colors on the motor wires yet since I'm not sure what year I'm going to end up with for a motor yet.

I later found a schematic for 88 F-series/Bronco, which fits the vintage of my harness. It matches up better to my harness except what I have listed as BL/O and BK/PR they have listed as DB/O and BL/PK. It may just be that the colors on my wires have faded with time and they look different. They're in the right places, just different color names.

Jim
Last edited by Jims65cyclone on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:30 pm
JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm
There is no connection for the black/white wire so I need to play with that.

Thanks,
Jim

I think that is for the washer pump Jim . What year is your truck switch/module? My switch/combo is from an 84,& it looks like yours. I have found a different diagram from an 85 , but both early & late diagrams show a bk-w wire going to the washer pump.
The switch/module/harness is from a 87-91 Ford truck/Bronco. The wiper motor is from a 79 F-Series. You're probably correct that the bk-w wire is for the washer pump. My plan, when I get to it, is to ground the motor and switch; connect power to the orange-white wire(which connects to bk-gr wire) from the motor connector, and let her rip...I expect to have 2 speeds and intermittent. The bigger problem I see is the smaller diameter output shaft on the 79 motor. I'll need to be sure that's secured well to the crank arm for the wipers. I'm guessing that the 66 motor/crank arm is different than the earlier models. The 66 is mounted on the firewall, not under the dash.

The good thing is that I can do all this on the bench before it goes back in the car.

Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Just bench tested the wiper motor/switch/module/harness and everything works as expected. Two speeds, intermittent and park position. This is a 79 F-Series wiper motor connected to an 87-91 Ford truck/Bronco wiring harness with delay module and switch. Note: A 5amp fuse blew after a couple of power on/off sequences; a 14 amp (the smallest I had available) survived several cycles. I’ll probably use 10 amp when it goes in the car.

Connections:
12 volt to orange-white wire coming from wiper motor connector
Ground to switch AND motor

Caveats:
1. The 79 F-Series wiper motor is not available at this time from any reman suppliers (part # 40-258). Mine came from a junk yard.

2. The output shaft on the 79 wiper motor is a smaller diameter than the original 1966 wiper motor. This means the wiper crank arm doesn’t fit tight to the motor. I’ll need to address that before installing this in the car. This might be a 1966 model year only problem since this same setup seems to have worked on earlier model Comet’s.

3. The shaft for the switch knob is also smaller in diameter on the 87-91 switch. I need to play with this but might be as simple as a longer set screw and/or a spacer within the knob.

4. I’ll need to cut the harness to pass it through the firewall. Again, seems to be a 1966 model year only problem and not a big deal.

It’ll be a month before I’m able to put this mess in the car (going to cleanup/paint the motor) and will update, if I don't have any issues, when it’s done. Meanwhile, I need to put that battery back in my lawn mower and go cut some weeds. :)

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:29 pm
3. The shaft for the switch knob is also smaller in diameter on the 87-91 switch. I need to play with this but might be as simple as a longer set screw and/or a spacer within the knob.
Jim

Probably could just find a 66 knob for regular non intermittent wipers. the intermittent knob has a bigger hole for the dual shafts. here is a comparison of the holes on 65 knobs. 65 Intermittent knob on left. the 65 1sp knob (on right) fit right on the f-series switch. I'm using the 64 knob on the far right on the f-series switch. had to shorten the f-series switch shaft about 1/4'' as mentioned by Dick in the article.

Shaft is same size as 65 motors. But like Dick said in the article the mounting bosses to the bracket are larger on the f series so I need the rubber grommets from the truck bracket;
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Glad it's working out for you Jim :D
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for posting your bench test results. That's exactly what I was planning to do once I get my motor. I plan to have a washer, so I'll rig that up with a light bulb to simulate the pump for the test. I've located several motor donor candidates at local junk yards and will go shopping soon. I looked back at Dick Harrington's article and he does recommend a 10 amp fuse on the power feed.

Jim