Strong Gas Smell

The Big Comets
kcomet67

Strong Gas Smell

Post by kcomet67 »

Alright guys since I have been on here, we have tackled a couple of issues. Here is the current issue with the 67. It reeks of gas. I can smell it outside of the car and on the inside. I did an inspection under the car and no leaks. Where could this smell be coming from? It has this smell when it is not running
I came home from work and can smell the gas about 10 feet away.
1967 Comet 202. 289. Work in Progress

poboyjo65

Re: Strong Gas Smell

Post by poboyjo65 »

My old tank had some pin holes in the top of it. the top was bad rusty inside the trunk. I could smell it strong in the cabin,especially if you cracked the window ,,, it would create a draw & pull the scent up from the trunk.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

You said no leaks on the ground, how about on the engine itself? Check the carb and lines for leaks that may puddle but not necessarily leak onto the ground.
I had a carb leaking and it puddled on the intake. Couldn’t really tell it was leaking but I could sure smell it!

Good luck.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Did you notice this before you changed carburetors?

If the answer is no, it's probably a leak on the new carb. Check fuel filter and line fitment for leaks.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Smell was there before the carb change. Nothing leaking under the hood. Made sure the new carb was not leaking, the fuel line and fitting and the fuel pump and feeder line.

I did notice that parts of the fuel hose were dry rotting and getting brittle. Plan to change that out this weekend. I did notice that the smell was stronger in the trunk and in the cabin. So I will check the tank again to see if I see anything.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

What Johno said, may want to check that. I had several pin holes in the top side of the gas tank, wound up putting a new tank in, not hard at all. Believe it was made in Canada, fairly reasonable too.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you dont see anything on top of the tank you might sprinkle some flour on it then take a drive ,try to slosh it around some then come back & check it quickly. the flour will show even a slight amount of moisture ,,,which could dry up & not be detectable otherwise.

but if you dont smell it by driving it you may be just smelling gas from the vented cap. they are designed to let air in & not out so it may be building up pressure & pushing out fumes somewhere else ,,,,,pinholes in tank or it can push it out in the carb. might check & see if it ''swishes'' when you open the cap after a temp change.or leave the cap loose ,see if it makes the smell weaker.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

I'm with johno here, check the cap. Ours was not venting properly and the gas was building up pressure. Then when we got back with a hot car and parked in the garage is smelled. Changed the cap and it got much better.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Just adding this-
Definitely change out all the rubber lines, as they seem to be original according to your description. Also check the gasket on the sending unit while you're checking out the tank. All of this should indicate a visible leak but better safe than sorry and cheap fixes.

I had a fire under the hood of my '68 Ranchero years ago. I was fortunate w/ only scorched paint on the hood and melted everything under the hood. It could have been much worse.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

kcomet67

Post by kcomet67 »

Found the problem. Drove it around the yard popped the trunk and it was soaking wet with gas! Ordering a fuel tank. Does anyone know where to get a sending unit? I have looked but could not find one. Would one from a fairlane work?

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Groover wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 am
I'm with johno here, check the cap. Ours was not venting properly and the gas was building up pressure. Then when we got back with a hot car and parked in the garage is smelled. Changed the cap and it got much better.
Should these gas caps be vented? I removed my gas cap, with the tank on empty, and there was a lot of pressure when I removed it. Is this normal? As a side note: now I know I have a 16 gallon tank in my car. :)

Thanks,
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:22 pm
Groover wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 am
Should these gas caps be vented? I removed my gas cap, with the tank on empty, and there was a lot of pressure when I removed it. Is this normal? As a side note: now I know I have a 16 gallon tank in my car. :)

Thanks,
Jim
today's vented caps have a one way valve,air can come in but cant get out,so temp changes will create pressure.
Johno